Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 6:04:19 PM EDT
Let me start by saying that this was never meant to be an exact clone, it's a .22LR for goodness sake. I've had one of those dreaded "cast" lowers for a number of years and while I've never had any issues with it I decided it would work great for a dedicated .22 build. I used an A1 upper from the EE along with a Spikes .22 barrel and BCG. The buttstock is a Bushmaster ("B" marked) that I also got from the EE cheap because it was really in bad shape. I had my local powder coater refinish it and it turned out great. The moderator and grenade ring are both from Brick. I had a good friend who is a master tool and die maker cut my barrel and thread it for me. He also pinned and welded the moderator for me. One nice thing about using the dedicated .22 barrel is that it sits deeper in the upper so the amount of barrel in front of the front sight base matches the length of the real XM177E2.

My buddy isn't a gun guy and I guess I didn't specify that the weld needed to be on the underside.

A little Dermal work, a little file work and little touch up with the Testers model paint and it doesn't look too bad.  

Doc

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah crap. Now I need to build one of THOSE.

RBRD strikes again.

Great looking build.

I have RBRD, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Another NICE build!  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#3]
i love it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks real good!  Let us know how it shoots.  
.22lr ARs are a friggin' blast!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice but shave off that bayo lug while you're at it!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually, I had it out today for a little test firing. It started out running pretty good. After about 100 rounds or so I started having some FTF problems. I tend to run my guns a little on the dry side and I think between it being under lubed and the dirty .22 ammo it just wouldn't cycle. Of course in my haste to get out shooting I forgot to bring along any lube with me so I wasn't able to lube it to see if that would help. Next time out I will be sure to have it oiled up better and I will take extra lube with me. When I'm totally happy with the way it runs I probably shave the bayo lug off.

I also took my new AR pistol with me to see how it would run. It's sort of a 733 build (we can't have SBR's in Illinois) and it ran flawlessly. The only thing I have to say is: my God is that thing loud!!! Compared to the .22 it sounded like a cannon.

Doc

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Very cool Doc,,,,verry cool!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#9]
That looks like a fun little carbine to shoot, enjoy it.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let me start by saying that this was never meant to be an exact clone, it's a .22LR for goodness sake. I've had one of those dreaded "cast" lowers for a number of years and while I've never had any issues with it I decided it would work great for a dedicated .22 build. I used an A1 upper from the EE along with a Spikes .22 barrel and BCG. The buttstock is a Bushmaster ("B" marked) that I also got from the EE cheap because it was really in bad shape. I had my local powder coater refinish it and it turned out great. The moderator and grenade ring are both from Brick. I had a good friend who is a master tool and die maker cut my barrel and thread it for me. He also pinned and welded the moderator for me. One nice thing about using the dedicated .22 barrel is that it sits deeper in the upper so the amount of barrel in front of the front sight base matches the length of the real XM177E2.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/XM177E22LR.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/XMspotweld.jpg
My buddy isn't a gun guy and I guess I didn't specify that the weld needed to be on the underside.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/XMtouchup-1.jpg
A little Dermal work, a little file work and little touch up with the Testers model paint and it doesn't look too bad.  

Doc

Ive got one of those as well only mine cost me ALOT more.
Its done so many magdumps that its ruptured up a gastube, ruined good barrels, and egged out the selectorholes.
Any lower would wear like that.

Nice gun. Dont assume its a "dreaded cast' lower until it proves itself to be.... Like you said you've had no problems with it.
If it is an Essential Arms J series it was cast by ruger investment.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice, Doc .22 ARs are sweet to shoot. They look the part but don't eat into the wallet near as much as their 5.56 counterparts. Every AR guy should have one.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I had it out today for a little test firing. It started out running pretty good. After about 100 rounds or so I started having some FTF problems. I tend to run my guns a little on the dry side and I think between it being under lubed and the dirty .22 ammo it just wouldn't cycle. Of course in my haste to get out shooting I forgot to bring along any lube with me so I wasn't able to lube it to see if that would help. Next time out I will be sure to have it oiled up better and I will take extra lube with me. When I'm totally happy with the way it runs I probably shave the bayo lug off.

I also took my new AR pistol with me to see how it would run. It's sort of a 733 build (we can't have SBR's in Illinois) and it ran flawlessly. The only thing I have to say is: my God is that thing loud!!! Compared to the .22 it sounded like a cannon.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/mwrdyna/Comando1.jpg

Doc

Yeah, try running it a bit on the wet side––and try a variety of ammo.  I tend to stick to copper-washed bullets rather than bare lead, but different rifles like different brands.

Have fun!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top