Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2010 9:04:35 PM EDT
OK, I know the A1 and A2 stocks attach to the receiver extensions with different screws in the top hole, and different ones in the bottom hole.

But, what I don't know is if the A1 and A2 stocks use a common trap-door assembly, and in what way the buttplates swap between them?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't the bottom screw for rear sling mount/buttplate hinge assembly the same for A-1 or A-2?  Haven't had an A-2 in a while to compare. A-2 top screw is longer because of spacer. Buttplate is the difference I believe, as an A-2 plate is checked completely and not just on the trap door. Don't know about plastic doors only metal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
No, A1 stocks actually have a longer bottom screw than A2 stocks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, the trapdoors themselves are interchangable. I prefer the A2 doors because they are so much easier to open. I can open an A2
door with my thumbnail, but I need a screw driver or something to open an A1 door. That's why all my A1 stocks have A2 trapdoors.YMMV

Edit: The A2 buttplates have ferocious checkering and the A1 buttplates are smooth.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for correction. A-2 swivel is actually closer to the buttplate. Pretty sure I put the longer A-1 screw in an A-2 stock assembly before, as that was all I ever had. Don't remember it being screwed up. HA HA! Guessing you can't put the shorter A-2 screw on an A-1 stock though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I found it out the hard way trying to install an A2 buttplate on a Cavarms C1 stock with the A1 lower screw; it was about 3/8" too long.  
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top