Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 5:16:32 PM EDT
First let me state, I am a huge fan of their products. Not only have I built 2 Hungarian AK semi auto rifles on their receivers, I have spent several hundred more $$ on retro AR stuff. But, now that I am gaining more knkowledge, I am disappointed that the upper I bought to match the 601 lower is just a simple slick sided type. If, according to the answer to a question I asked in another thread, the main difference is in simply making the rear sight markings stamped (engraved) instead of raised, along with, maybe, playing with the contour of the receiver just above the charging handle...oh yeah, and the matching cut above the lower receiver near the magazine catch button.

I guess I could have mine machined and then re-anodized by Victor, but with the other projects NDS does, like the super early upper with the trigger type of charging handle and the work required to make 601 and the other types of lowers, this one seems like a relatively easy no-brainer.

OK, enough whining, I got that off of my chest. So, make this my plea:

NDS, PLEASE make a 601/602 upper to go properly with your wonderful, beautiful and extraordinary 601 lower!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First let me state, I am a huge fan of their products. Not only have I built 2 Hungarian AK semi auto rifles on their receivers, I have spent several hundred more $$ on retro AR stuff. But, now that I am gaining more knkowledge, I am disappointed that the upper I bought to match the 601 lower is just a simple slick sided type. If, according to the answer to a question I asked in another thread, the main difference is in simply making the rear sight markings stamped (engraved) instead of raised, along with, maybe, playing with the contour of the receiver just above the charging handle...oh yeah, and the matching cut above the lower receiver near the magazine catch button.

I guess I could have mine machined and then re-anodized by Victor, but with the other projects NDS does, like the super early upper with the trigger type of charging handle and the work required to make 601 and the other types of lowers, this one seems like a relatively easy no-brainer.

OK, enough whining, I got that off of my chest. So, make this my plea:

NDS, PLEASE make a 601/602 upper to go properly with your wonderful, beautiful and extraordinary 601 lower!

Thanks.

That shouldn't be a problem. Just send Mike & Harlan your 601 upper + your 601 upper blueprints and they can have their diemakers whip up a set of forging dies for the new 601 uppers.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 for a run of 602 uppers.  I'd be willing to pay a bit extra and they are basically impossible to find.  I understand the challenges with building something like that but I have been hoping that they would eventually do just that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I would imagine they don't make them cause of the extra costs involved, & possibly the # amount they would have to produce to get the tooling made when it is so easy for the end buyer to convert the 604 receivers. Or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
When NDS was just about to start marketing the uppers, Mike posted a survey to see if there was enough interest in smoothing out the forging flash inside the carry handle for just this. the consensus was that most wanted the flash to remain. It also came up about them making 601 uppers, but (as I recall) Mike decided that in the configuration the 604 uppers were that it would be easy for the end user to convert, and not worth the extra time that NDS would have to put in for what would probably be a limited run thing.

Notice that the NDS uppers have "square forgings". It would be relatively simple to convert one. If you have the skills (not me) and tools (not me again) and patience. (again, not me).
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know if the NDS forging lines up with the lower below the ejection port?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the NDS forging lines up with the lower below the ejection port?

no, they don't
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It does not. I looked at the upper I bought from them placing it on the 601 lower from them, and you can plainly see it in the photos on their website.

So, at this point, I am actively looking for someone who is capable and willing to do the conversion machining work, after which I will send the upper to Victor for anodizing (again).

Anyone interested in doing the work???
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you Mike, a very reasonable explanation.

Not being very skilled with dremel, etc., I hope someone steps up and
"volunteers" to provide this service (for pay of course).

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
after which I will send the upper to Victor for anodizing (again).

While you're sending your 601 stuff to Victor, you might talk to him about color matching your parts to an original 601 upper he has there. It's a Brown/Gray color, and looks pretty nice.

Color comparo between an XM Gray lower and the 601 color upper:

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish they made a reproduction mil-spec aluminum CAR stock with vinyl-acetate coating.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wish they made a reproduction mil-spec aluminum CAR stock with vinyl-acetate coating.

+1

This is something that is really needed. I can deal with having to modify the upper. More hard to find items that I would love to be made:

old style carbine receiver extension nut
2 position carbine receiver extension
A1 ejection port door
FSB with flash removed
14 1/2" lightweight 1:12 and 1:7 barrels
20" lightweight barrels, both chromed and not

Dustin
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I wish somebody made, charging handles, trigger guards,and  mag release buttons all in old fashioned grey.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1!

+1
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1!

+1

+1

ETA: and I'd even like one w/o the vinyl-acetate coating.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
after which I will send the upper to Victor for anodizing (again).

While you're sending your 601 stuff to Victor, you might talk to him about color matching your parts to an original 601 upper he has there. It's a Brown/Gray color, and looks pretty nice.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/markrsims/100_1152.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/markrsims/100_1151.jpg

Color comparo between an XM Gray lower and the 601 color upper:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm155/markrsims/100_1029.jpg

Now see.....I like that 601 as is.   Beautiflul colors.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wish somebody made, charging handles, trigger guards,and  mag release buttons all in old fashioned grey.

Someone does, they're called US Anodizing. You send them your parts, the next time you see them they will be the "old fashioned gray" you speak of.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I second that emotion

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:NDS, PLEASE make a 601/602 upper to go properly with your wonderful, beautiful and extraordinary 601 lower!

Quoted:
+1 for a run of 602 uppers...

Quoted:

...And an early-style Armalite lower for the original AR10's so I can turn this spare parts kit into a second Portuguese!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:NDS, PLEASE make a 601/602 upper to go properly with your wonderful, beautiful and extraordinary 601 lower!

Quoted:
+1 for a run of 602 uppers...

Quoted:

...And an early-style Armalite lower for the original AR10's so I can turn this spare parts kit into a second Portuguese!

Oh, and a "prototype" style FSB like the one on #004!
(What the heck––Christmas is coming.  Might as well submit our wish lists now!)
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone does, they're called US Anodizing. You send them your parts, the next time you see them they will be the "old fashioned gray" you speak of.

Well, I know about U.S. Anodizing. I've got parts waiting for cashflow to be refinished. But... so long as we were making a wish list, it would be nice to have parts available off the shelf.

And I forgot to add grey receiver extensions .

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Well... since it doesn't seem likely at this point that NDS is going to be making a run of these any time soon (if ever) what is actually required to to turn an NDS 604 upper receiver into a 602?  Anyone have any good links or photos of a 602 next to a 604?   Is the only difference the fact that the rear sight markings are engraved or are there other differences that I'm missing?  It looks like the part below the ejection port might be different?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Well... since it doesn't seem likely at this point that NDS is going to be making a run of these any time soon (if ever) what is actually required to to turn an NDS 604 upper receiver into a 602?  Anyone have any good links or photos of a 602 next to a 604?   Is the only difference the fact that the rear sight markings are engraved or are there other differences that I'm missing?  It looks like the part below the ejection port might be different?

Check out this thread to see how a forum member is transforming a 604 into a 601:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=466700

The 602 would be the same, with the addition of an engraved arrow near the rear sight wheel.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks GI-45!    I'm not sure how I missed that thread.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top