Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:05:38 AM EDT
Fello Retro BRD Victims:

I received a MINT Colt upper as part of a recent trade, and would appreciate some help IDing it.

Large hole, A1 rear sight, C H forge codes, large round FA w/ flat side, rectangular A1 dust cover, no shell deflector, delta slip ring, Colt 6 hole Carbine handguards, C & Bell front sight base w/ lug, A2 front sight pin, pencil profile 16 inch barrel stamped "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7", A2 flashhider.

The upper also came with a complete Colt N 1 Fiberlite 4 position stock assembly

ETA: where can I find an adapter bushing that will allow me to mount this upper to a small pin lower?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:30:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Brownells has pivot pin adapters from DPMS available.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24949&title=AR-15/M16%20PIVOT-PIN%20ADAPTER%20BUSHING

I don't know enough about the rest, so hopefully one of the real experts will chime in.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info on the adapter
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody out there?

Is it a 723, or is 723 a military designation?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#4]
is there a date code under the handguards near the fsb?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
is there a date code under the handguards near the fsb?

No - no date code under handguards
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Large hole, A1 rear sight, C H forge codes, large round FA w/ flat side, rectangular A1 dust cover, no shell deflector, delta slip ring, Colt 6 hole Carbine handguards, C & Bell front sight base w/ lug, A2 front sight pin, pencil profile 16 inch barrel stamped "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7", A2 flashhider.

If you are asking what you could make out of it, I do not know. The "large hole" says it is not from a 723 or a 723, but the commercially available SP1.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Look here, this may help ID the upper
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are asking what you could make out of it, I do not know. The "large hole" says it is not from a 723 or a 723, but the commercially available SP1.

I know what I am going to make out of it - a really nice CAR

I wanted to know if it is a SP1 Carbine upper, an SP2 carbine upper, or a later upper - the big hole threw me!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Look here, this may help ID the upper

Thanks!

It looks like it is a R6420 - AR-15A2 Sporter II Carbine, except that it has an A1 rear sight - is this possible?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I wanted to know if it is a SP1 Carbine upper, an SP2 carbine upper, or a later upper - the big hole threw me!

Hope my original post helped you Riflenut. I wasn't trying to be difficult.

I think, there I go again thinking, that a SP2 would have an A2 upper with the large hole pivot pin. If I'm wrong surely I'll be corrected.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes.  Bought mine new in 1983.  Exactly that configuration (Yes with A1 rear sight). A2 Sporter II.  Fiberlite stock too, but only two position on mine.  Serial # SP3XXXXX range.  Sweet!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a 20" SPII upper this spring. It also has an A1 upper with the same forge codes, & an A2 barrel.

When I bought it I had little clue to what exactly it was, except for the obvious stuff. I assumed that it was an SPI that somebody had put an A2 barrel on. Thanks to the folks here, I found out it was a R6500 SPII upper. Thanks again guys!

Good luck mating the thing to a normal reciever, I bought the DPMS offset bushing & no matter what, there is too much of a gap between the upper & lower for my liking. It even nose dived a round into the edge of the barrel extension this summer, pushing the bullet back into the case.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:47:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the stock and tube are original to the upper assy, then it's almost certainly off an SP2.  Don't know about the rifle versions, but every SP2 carbine I've seen had A1 type rear sights.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:38:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys for all of the information!

Now all I need to do is pick up the adapter bushing & mount it to a new RRA lower that is waiting for it!

hk45shooter - I didn't take your post in any sense other than you were trying to help - Thanks Buddy!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#15]
just remember to post the pics
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top