Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 2:36:13 PM EDT
Trying to decide what to buy myself for christmass.

Im looking at the del-ton rifles.  Should I buy a complete rifle or a kit and a lower?

Any advantage for the 16 verses the 20?

Any advice at all would be great!

Here is what Im looking at so far:
http://www.del-ton.com/DPMS_16_A2_Rifle_p/rfl1010.htm

http://www.del-ton.com/DPMS_20_A3_Rifle_p/rfl1005.htm

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#1]
More fun if you buy a kit...

ETA: I like the carbines, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats the dif with the carbines?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Whats the dif with the carbines?

Mostly they're shorter.  My favorite carbine with a Gen II stock and 14.5" barrel with permanently attached extended hider is less than 31" with the stock closed, and less than 7 lbs.  An A1 with 20" barrel is somewhere around 37" plus or minus.  I like the way carbines balance and handle.  Yes, they may not be as accurate, and may lose a little muzzle velocity, but I just punch holes in paper at 100 yds or less most of the time.  I haven't seen them to be any less reliable.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that pretty much the difference between the 16 and 20?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is that pretty much the difference between the 16 and 20?

Well, of the ones you're looking at, the rifle is an A3, so it has a flat top upper, and the carbine has an A2 upper with A2 sights and carry handle.  It also has the shorter handguards and carbine gas system, and of course the carbine stock.

These aren't real retro, so you would have better responses to your questions in the general or build it yourself forums.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The 20" one I posted shows a carring handle, not a flat top?  Am I looking at it correctly?

Which one do you recommend?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Oops, my bad.  Which one to get is really personal preference, and what you want to use it for.  They both look good to me.  Heck, you'll probably want them both if you just get one for starters.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Both could be nice rifles if you took the trigger parts and maybe the bolt group and threw away everything else so you could build a retro rifle around them.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]
You can choose all the options on the Del-Ton kits.  You can choose an A1 upper (really a C7) and build in the "retro spirit".  This is built around a Del-Ton 16" lightweight kit,

and I have nothing but good things to say about Del-Ton
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top