Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2020 3:53:48 PM EDT
All the parts are standard Brownells BRN-10 parts except for the BCG, since Brownells was sold out of the chrome AR-10 BCG’s I bought a Primary Arms nickel boron BCG, and I painted the furniture Rustoleum Kona Brown. I think it came out nice and I a very happy with it, just need to take it to the range now.

And here it is with its little brother my XM16E1 clone that’s all original Colt except for the Brownells XM lower

Update 10/20
So I took it to the range this afternoon and shot 100rds through it 60 South Korean surplus from 1983 and 40 ZQI, no FTE or FTF or any failure at all.
So at 100yd I didn’t have to touch the elevation which was bottomed out, in fact I could probably raise the rear sight 2 clicks. It needed just a slight touch of right windage and after that it’s shot POA at 100yd.
Now the bad
After a couple of shots it started stringing shots to about 12MOA once it got hot. Now I did get the lightweight barrel and now I might just buy the heavy barrel, I don’t know what else would cause it to shoot all over the place like that. Also when I got home I saw quite a bit of black soot on the handguard end cap on the sling and also on the barrel in front of the gas block like it’s not sealing on the barrel, I did start to see flashing near the end of my shooting at the range but figured it was from the muzzle but now that I think of it it was probably from the gas block. Also the charging handle was smacking my face but full disclosure before I ever shot it I did bend it a little to make it weaker so I’ll just try and bend it back when I clean it.
Overall I’m happy with my AR-10 build and I’ll probably end up getting the heavier profile barrel since it’s on sale.

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks Great!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks amazing!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks fantastic. The furniture looks a lot better with the paint job!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice Rifle!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That is amazing.   Was it cheaper to build it yourself over buying one Brownells assembled?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Fantastic, I think I will get some Kona paint and paint my furniture!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Fantastic, I think I will get some Kona paint and paint my furniture!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks great, I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is amazing.   Was it cheaper to build it yourself over buying one Brownells assembled?
View Quote

Interested here as well.

Nice rifle OP!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys for all the compliments! I always wanted a real Portuguese model AR-10 but figured I’d never get one so this is as close as I can get lol.

So I spent $535 at Brownells for parts and one retro mag and I also spent $308 at Primary Arms for a LPK a BCG and a 308 buffer tube kit. So I spent $843 in parts
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I can’t wait to take it to the range! Hopefully I can get out to the range this week and report back.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks great, I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
View Quote

This.  Sweet looking rifles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:36:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for all the compliments! I always wanted a real Portuguese model AR-10 but figured I’d never get one so this is as close as I can get lol.

So I spent $535 at Brownells for parts and one retro mag and I also spent $308 at Primary Arms for a LPK a BCG and a 308 buffer tube kit. So I spent $843 in parts
View Quote

Nice!  That is a lot cheaper than they were charging.  The rifle looks great.  You are probably going to cost me some money now....
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nice!  That is a lot cheaper than they were charging.  The rifle looks great.  You are probably going to cost me some money now....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Yea I decided to pull the trigger and buy all the parts when they all went on sale, it looks like they are trying to clear out all the BRN-10 parts but I hope that’s not the case. That’s why I bought them because I didn’t want to miss out on having an AR-10 type retro clone. Kinda bummed I couldn’t get the Brownells chrome BCG but the NiB one looks good in it. Nows the time to buy!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Beautiful rifle! And only ~$840 for parts vs. ~$1300 for an assembled Brownells Cuban BRN-10A! I went the $1300 route last month and am ok with it but nice to know you can save almost $500. That Kona Brown is amazing, I'll have to do that.

Your XM16E1 is awesome, too. I put one together using the NoDak Spud partial fence lower and JSE non-chrome lined barrel. Turned out pretty decent. For my "1971-74" M16A1 build like you I did use a genuine Colt barrel, C MP B and a Brownells stripped lower.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle! And only ~$840 for parts vs. ~$1300 for an assembled Brownells Cuban BRN-10A! I went the $1300 route last month and am ok with it but nice to know you can save almost $500. That Kona Brown is amazing, I'll have to do that.

Your XM16E1 is awesome, too. I put one together using the NoDak Spud partial fence lower and JSE non-chrome lined barrel. Turned out pretty decent. For my "1971-74" M16A1 build like you I did use a genuine Colt barrel, C MP B and a Brownells stripped lower.
View Quote

Thanks, yea I love how the Kona Brown came out. I also used a C MP B barrel assembly on my XM16E1 i know it’s not “correct” but I like to think it’s barrel was replaced in the early 70’s I didn’t want to change the muzzle device for a 3 prong because the A1 has some nice patina on it
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Great looking rifle.  It's amazing how much better it looks with a $6.00 can of Rustoleum Kona Brown paint job!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

No excise tax on gun parts.  Pittman-Robertson Act adds an additional 11% to the cost of a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks, yea I love how the Kona Brown came out. I also used a C MP B barrel assembly on my XM16E1 i know it’s not “correct” but I like to think it’s barrel was replaced in the early 70’s I didn’t want to change the muzzle device for a 3 prong because the A1 has some nice patina on it
View Quote

Yeah a real Colt C MP B barrel easily could have ended up on an XM16E1 since the original non-chrome plated bore and chamber could look real sad over the years. Would be nice to have the three prong flash hider but why break up what originally came with the slightly newer barrel assembly. No matter how much I want to say my M16A1 build is a 1969 (the year I was discharged from the Army) - with that C MP B barrel, type E stock, C H forge upper, it's more correct to just say 1971-74. Which is still pretty cool!
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Update in OP
View Quote

Is this the one you used, for $140? Did you use a crush washer?

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-308-20-lightweight-barrel-fsb-1-10-rifle-gas-sku078000443-123599-221207.aspx
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone have ideas on making charging handle easier to work/pull back.  Big drawback to these is the hard to cock charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Yes that’s the barrel assembly that I used. No crush washer on the Portuguese flash hider, I checked it after shooting and it’s still tight.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anyone have ideas on making charging handle easier to work/pull back.  Big drawback to these is the hard to cock charging handle.
View Quote

Racking it 1000 times

I've noticed on mine if I think about it it never works, and having it not open hurts more than when it unlocks.
If I put my pointer and middle finger on it and just jerk it back like hell it opens every time and doesn't hut the fingers as much as going slower.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I ran across this after posting;

By a Hanks S. on shooting illustrated;

"The charging handle was originally very difficult to manipulate from its parked position, but a little tinkering around with the parking spring clip cured that problem pronto. Just don't tweak the clip too much because the .308's recoil impulse will disengage the charging handle and it will lightly tap you on your cheek before going back into battery during the recoil cycle."

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Racking it 1000 times

I've noticed on mine if I think about it it never works, and having it not open hurts more than when it unlocks.
If I put my pointer and middle finger on it and just jerk it back like hell it opens every time and doesn't hut the fingers as much as going slower.
View Quote

I found if I insert middle finger all the way to where base joint joins palm and pull back hard its not bad. I'm older and joint inflamation makes this mechanism a *itch to operate but this technique works for me.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#28]
The final parts for mine came in today, except that I apparently used up my supply of trigger guards. Also, looking at the OPs pictures, it looks like they sent me the wrong pistol grip.

Attachment Attached File

Still a super cool rifle. I should probably order more of these magazines too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 2:36:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks good. What profile barrel did you go with? Yea they sent you an A1 grip and not a BRN-10 grip which is odd if you bought the complete furniture set. I bought 4 of their waffle mags and they all worked great in my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#30]
They'll send you the correct pistol grip for free if you email them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I went with the lightweight profile. Since it's iron sights only, I just didn't see the benefit of the heavier barrel against he additional weight.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the post OP. I'm doing the same build and my parts should be delivered today. I went with Brownells nickel boron BCG, three prong, lightweight barrel, and 5 waffle mags. Your furniture turned out great. I think I'll paint mine as well. Wish I would have jumped on the sale sooner to get the correct BCG and brown furniture set but $850-ish for the build is a no brainer. I FOMO'ed pretty hard when I heard BRN-10 was being discontinued.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am amazed at how hard these are to charge. I get not wanting it to unlock while firing but good lord.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep it do test your manhood. Cycling it 1000 times help, probably doesn’t get easier, but your muscles and technique improve.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yep it do test your manhood. Cycling it 1000 times help, probably doesn’t get easier, but your muscles and technique improve.
View Quote

Haha, maybe that's it. I guess that is what happens when you stop running a shovel and start driving a desk for work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Good you got the humor, and I understand the driving a desk. My son the Marine thinks it is just fine and I wondering why the Corp didn’t have this rifle, I then gave him a history lesson on the AR10.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#37]
I wonder what could’ve been if the US adopted the AR-10 instead of the M-14.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:27:10 AM EDT
[#38]
That turned out wonderfully

Love the color choice!
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks like Brownells increased the price on some of the parts. The lowers alone are now $200+ more expensive.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks like Brownells increased the price on some of the parts. The lowers alone are now $200+ more expensive.
View Quote

Glad I bought one when I did. Good on OP for the heads up.

It’s a real shame brownells discontinued the bolt carrier though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I’m glad I got mine when the parts were on sale also. Maybe they will be on sale for the holidays. Yea I’m bummed out about the chrome BGC being discontinued but the NiB one looks good in it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I noticed the Brownells BRN-10A rifle is out of stock now just like the BRN-10B and I believe their entire retro rifle line. I don't know if assembled rifles will be returning next year but sure am glad I jumped on an assembled Brownells "Cuban" BRN-10A while they were $1300 low hanging fruit the last three months.

For now scrounging up parts from various sources then assembling a retro rifle is the only avenue open now. Let's hope parts get easier to find in the near future!
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I noticed the Brownells BRN-10A rifle is out of stock now just like the BRN-10B and I believe their entire retro rifle line. I don't know if assembled rifles will be returning next year but sure am glad I jumped on an assembled Brownells "Cuban" BRN-10A while they were $1300 low hanging fruit the last three months.

For now scrounging up parts from various sources then assembling a retro rifle is the only avenue open now. Let's hope parts get easier to find in the near future!
View Quote

According to mr Leavy the BRN-10 is done and gone.  Ian with Forgotten Weapons has a video up now on Youtube talking about it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:00:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

According to mr Leavy the BRN-10 is done and gone.  Ian with Forgotten Weapons has a video up now on Youtube talking about it.
View Quote

Thanks for the information. A shame but not unexpected.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

According to mr Leavy the BRN-10 is done and gone.  Ian with Forgotten Weapons has a video up now on Youtube talking about it.Very
View Quote
Very informative video and I can understand Brownells point and appreciate what they have done with the retro line.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Lock your BCG back with a magazine in the well.  Then work the charging handle back and forth against the retaining spring a couple of hundred times.  That should help.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Darn, my knees buckled again while on Brownells looking for a BRN10 pistol grip. Couldn't find one but sure didn't leave with an empty basket.

Even though I already have a complete BRN10A I ordered a BRN10 lower ($149) and upper receiver ($199) with necessary receiver build parts and the BRN10 lightweight 20" barrel assembly ($149) plus gas tube, slip ring, well spring, C-clamp and BRN10 3-prong flash hider. I have a 601 furniture kit in Brownells new 601 green so ordered the green BRN10 handguards that were on sale for ~$8 and added heat shields. I'll probably paint the furniture but some Dutch AR10s were green so why not see how it looks. $700+ for a late Christmas present!

Years ago a buddy gave me a Bushmaster AR15 rifle buffer/tube/spring kit that I think/hope will work with the BRN10. Brownells says their AR15 rifle kit does work with the BRN10, even the buffer and spring so we'll see once I find it and compare to what's in my BRN10A.

Now on to a BCG that looks good. I won't find another flat side Pre-Portuguese style BCG like in my BRN10A but the later Dutch BCG looks a lot like modern 308 models. The fun begins again!

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks awesome OP!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#50]
How much machine work was required to fit the Aero M5 upper receiver?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top