Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 5:41:21 AM EDT
Has anyone heard or interested in a the RRA-PDS in a pistol caliber set up. No buffer tube, folding stock acceptable, MP5 like handling. Any input ? Pros & cons , possibility of it happening.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's a blowback system, it would need more mass than would be available with the short bolt to slow down the action and not beat the gun to death.
If it's gas-op, with the current system, the port it too far forwards for pistol pressures, and if you moved it back, you'd lose the op-rod length and therefore action spring length and bolt travel.
I'm sure it CAN be done, but not with the current style operating system, it would be more proprietary parts.

ETA: the Oly OA-93 style system could probably be more readily adapted to pistol caliber if you moved the gas port in and removed the added mass on top of the carrier.  They're a bit funky looking, but it could work.

I HAVE given it some thought before, as I was thinking of building a bufferless .45 upper similar to my .223/6.8 uppers....

But i went ahead and built a standard DI .45 upper with buffer instead.  For now at least...

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top