Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 4:47:53 PM EDT
I was looking at a Colt 9MM upper with i believe it was a 7" barrel.  The only thing i was wondering was the bolt is a M16 Bolt. Would it still be legal to make into a semi pistol?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Boy this will open up a can of worms.  Short answer is most say to the letter of the law yes, the M16 carrier (bolt doesn't matter) is legal in a semi-auto, but the ATFE does not want you to use ANY M16 parts in an AR-15 and they have said so repeatedly in many different letters and it is even in the 2000 Federal Firearms Regualtions Guide.  To be on the absolute safe side just use the AR carrier or modify the M16 carrier.  I got a great deal on quite a few M16 chrome carriers so I modified them to AR config.  You only need to remove about 1/4" off the bottom of the carrier at the back end of the carrier so it cannot perform as a FA bolt carrier (you can see the pictures posted in the info section) so the alteration is not a big deal and I sleep a lot better knowing that if they check out my pistol they cannot make an issue out of the M16 BC.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the better safe than sorry. Just by luck i was able to do a search on google and found a RRA 9MM M16 bolt and its exactly the same as the colt. My fear was that the bolt in this upper might of been different becasue i never seen this colt upper before untill a few days ago. I think if i get the upper I will correct the bolt.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If I'm not mistaken, the 9mm Colt system does not use a separate carrier and bolt, just a large bolt, since there is no need for the front of the bolt to rotate and lock into the barrel (unlocked blowback action).  I could be wrong, but I don't think Colt makes a semi-auto 9mm bolt - any Colt system 9mm upper should work on an M-16.

Again, I could be wrong.  I don't own a 9mm AR, but I have looked into the basics while considering building one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Your right. it is a solid bolt (carrier and bolt is one unit) and it does not lock. The back of the carrier looks like its a weight with a roll pin holding it in place. If i remove that i think i can have the bolt milled down to AR style.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top