Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:08:10 AM EDT
I’ve read and re-read the threads on the legalities of AR Pistols and I realize that it is perfectly legal to own an AR pistol with a barrel < 16”, a barrel > 16” and a stock.  So, why don’t manufacturers sell AR Pistol / Rifle Combo packages?  If Bushmaster wanted to, they could sell a combo package with AR pistol that also came with a 16” (or 20”) upper and a stock (fixed or folding).  

Wouldn’t most people buy a pistol / rifle combo vs. one or the other if they had the choice?

Or are the manufactures nervous about the liability issues when individuals mounted the stock with the short barrel?  

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I’ve read and re-read the threads on the legalities of AR Pistols and I realize that it is perfectly legal to own an AR pistol with a barrel < 16”, a barrel > 16” and a stock.  So, why don’t manufacturers sell AR Pistol / Rifle Combo packages?  If Bushmaster wanted to, they could sell a combo package with AR pistol that also came with a 16” (or 20”) upper and a stock (fixed or folding).  

Wouldn’t most people buy a pistol / rifle combo vs. one or the other if they had the choice?

Or are the manufactures nervous about the liability issues when individuals mounted the stock with the short barrel?  

Thoughts?

It's quite possible.  But I think it might also be a "nitch" market.  Not big enough to really make money off of.  Example, the Thomson center single shot "pistols".  They had a rifle kit avail and I think they went through a court case about converting (thought I read it somewhere).

And the other thing is, public opinion.  All it would take is a "group" to focus negative PR on their "pistol" product.....  Manufactuers have a hard enough time as it is....

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, it would be a very small market who would actually want both, and even smaller who would be willing to shell out the extra money.  And all it would take is some ya-hoo gun store to not tell a person that you cannot put the short barrel on when the stock is attached to have the Feds and lawyers crawling up their asses.  I think the problems would far outweigh any benefit to either the maker or the seller.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top