Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/26/2021 5:37:45 PM EDT
I am strongly looking at a Daniel Defense ar pistol to take camping. Does a .300 blackout run as reliably as a 5.56? How much more real world effective is it than a 5.56 on bears, hogs, and barriers out of a 10 or 8 inch barrel?
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that it penetrates a lot better. Slower moving, heavier projectiles usually beat light and fast in terms of penetration, but that is entirely up to bullet selection.

Given that, 300 should be better for bears and barriers.

If I were going into bear country, I would opt 300 over 5.56, but I don't know much.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am strongly looking at a Daniel Defense ar pistol to take camping. Does a .300 blackout run as reliably as a 5.56? How much more real world effective is it than a 5.56 on bears, hogs, and barriers out of a 10 or 8 inch barrel?
View Quote

Out of that short of a barrel the .300 would offer much better terminal ballistics, especially with the 110gr Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX loads.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
If you’re going to get it specifically for bear country, I would go .308 or 30-06.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Out of that short of a barrel the .300 would offer much better terminal ballistics, especially with the 110gr Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX loads.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you’re going to get it specifically for bear country, I would go .308 or 30-06.
View Quote

Plenty of bears have been taken down, or turned back, by 9mm. Why do you think he needs to bump up to .308/30-06 and be pushed into a much larger rifle or have something more obnoxious to shoot without ear pro?

The 300blk from DD will do fine OP, won't have any reliability issues outside some random QC issue but DD will take care of it for you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#6]
People have killed bears with everything, but if you aren't bringing a full sized rifle and cartridge I think I would follow the handgun line of thought - which is heavy, hard cast bullet moving as quickly as possible.

300 blk will do this much better than 5.56. the only downside is most factory heavy ammo is very slow. If you reload, I'd make some 220+ grainers with a harder than normal lead and push them as fast as possible.

If you don't reload maybe check some of the smaller boutique ammo sellers that do a lot of cast

With all things being equal I would consider a sub 10" 300blk to be more reliable than a sub 10" 5.56 as the entire thing was designed around that size barrel and excels with pistol length gas systems
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know how reliable it is yet, but planning on getting 300BLK.

I have no problem seeing it used for bear protection.

Note that subsonic, heavy bullet ammo is loaded to lower chamber pressure than .lighter weight, supersonic ammo.

Make sure the firearm is reliable with the ammo used.

That's more important than which bullet weight might be most effective.

It has to fire reliably first.

The BCM 300 BLK barrels all have pistol length gas systems, even the 16 inch barrels.

BCM recommends using a lightweight buffer with subsonic ammo and a heavy weight buffer with supersonic ammo.

Some load guides show the chamber pressure and the heavy bullet loads are much lower pressure than the lighter bullet loads.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Plenty of bears have been taken down, or turned back, by 9mm. Why do you think he needs to bump up to .308/30-06 and be pushed into a much larger rifle or have something more obnoxious to shoot without ear pro?

The 300blk from DD will do fine OP, won't have any reliability issues outside some random QC issue but DD will take care of it for you.
View Quote

Have you ever shot a 400 pound bear at 40 feet? I have. I’m glad I didn’t have handgun ballistics.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have you ever shot a 400 pound bear at 40 feet? I have. I’m glad I didn’t have handgun ballistics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No clue on the distance but yes, I've fired at a charging bear but not with a handgun, used my 8.5" 6.8.

A 8-10" 300blk can utilize some rather impressive supersonic loadings that will give rifle ballistics, penetrate the skull of a bear and shatter bones throughout.

ETA: My original post was not intended to advocate he utilize a pistol or subsonic loadings, merely to point out that one doesn't need a .308/30-06 to effectively take down a bear in most of USA.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I definitely didn’t want a smaller gun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Even with basic 125 / 144 rounds, my 9" 300 put some healthy holes in

1 armadillo at approx 50m

1 "charging" skunk at approx 20m

1 really large snapping turtle at approx 20m

With defensive stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to take on a bear within its (gun/ammo) maximum effective range. But when messing with something that sees you as the main course, you best be quick.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#13]
So, you are prepping to take on bears behind barriers?     Are they wearing body armor?

Only ever used it on hogs, a 147gr FMJ will zip right thru one from an 8" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Bears 45-70 or 12ga slugs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
People have killed bears with everything, but if you aren't bringing a full sized rifle and cartridge I think I would follow the handgun line of thought - which is heavy, hard cast bullet moving as quickly as possible.

300 blk will do this much better than 5.56. the only downside is most factory heavy ammo is very slow. If you reload, I'd make some 220+ grainers with a harder than normal lead and push them as fast as possible.

If you don't reload maybe check some of the smaller boutique ammo sellers that do a lot of cast

With all things being equal I would consider a sub 10" 300blk to be more reliable than a sub 10" 5.56 as the entire thing was designed around that size barrel and excels with pistol length gas systems
View Quote

True, but you left out one small detail, MEPLAT.  Heavy hard cast game bullets have a wide meplat which creates a nice wound channel when pushed fast.  Does anhyone make a 220 grain 30 caliber bullet with a decent meplat?  There isn't a lot to work with there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

.44 Magnum ballistics by ft-lbs, if that means anything to you I suppose.

My 110gr Barnes load is flawless* in my PSA 300BLK pistol, probably 300 rounds of that load alone through mine. *when I do my part-only issues I've had were trusting that commercially prepped brass I sourced was to spec, which it wasn't. I'm sure factory ammo (what is that? Lol) would work without issue.

I'd have zero issues trusting that pistol with my life. I've tested it, the ammo, and the magazines enough to satisfy my expectation for reliability.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 5:17:38 AM EDT
[#17]
300BO will be fine.  I carried mine for several years and does an amazing job on East  coast black bears.  Shot placement is key...  and if charging volume of fire is welcomed.  

I would carry the Barns 110gr and it did well.  

I currently carry a 458 SOCOM for bear hunting and does a great job .

Link Posted: 5/27/2021 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I currently carry a 458 SOCOM for bear hunting and does a great job .

View Quote

This. Except it'll be difficult to control the recoil in a pistol.

Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#20]
9" 300 black with a can is my go to camp gun.  I can sit in a chair by the fire and thwack just about anything I can see all day with subs without disturbing anyone.  And when it's bed time I swap mags to Barnes 110's in case something really needs shooting.

Never ran a 300 as hard as a 556, like in a carbine course for instance.  But a few hundred rounds over a long weekend, no problems.  Use quality parts, mags and ammo and it'll run just fine.  Most problems I've heard are from 556 mags not liking the heavier and longer subs or guns not liking subs without a can.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a Daniel Defense .300 SBR, with the 10.3 inch barrel.  300 has some limitations in my opinion - you need to choose bullet construction to make sure these lower velocity rounds will expand effectively.  I reload, and unfortunately with reloads I find 300 to be a little less reliable than reloads in a 5.56.  My DD seems to be sensitive to case sizing, and sometimes struggles with brass that gauges ok, but that might be do to the fact that I run a mix of subsonic and supersonic loads, and I'm constantly trying to load and use the oddball 30 cal projectiles I have in my reloading stash.  With factory ammo, I'd say it's as reliable as an AR in 5.56.  If I had to shoot a bear, I'd prefer to use the 300 over a 5.56 because with most loads you'll see better penetration.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
If you are going with a really short barrel, go .300blk over 5.56.   Short barrel 5.56 can be made to run reliable, but .300blk is better suited for it.

Keep in mind the best bullets for .300blk run on the lighter side (a lot of 110gr rounds with a few others up to 125grs)

Will it stop a charging bear?   I don't know, I've never been in such a situation.  Probably depends on the shooter and the bear.

I'm guessing it could...but....this is one of those "would you bet your life on it" kinda deals.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#23]
44 mag - as prior poster shared.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Go 12 gauge with slugs!
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#25]
If you're not going with a .45x AR, how about a .350 AR? Ruger offered a 9" pistol which I no longer see on their website.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you're not going with a .45x AR, how about a .350 AR? Ruger offered a 9" pistol which I no longer see on their website.
View Quote

350 Legend is excellent for hunting and would have more power.
But I would not trust it for self defense....especially out of a really short barrel.

Straight wall round like that that seems to be asking for feeding issues when you need it most.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#27]
are you going to be walking combat ready all the time with your ar? you can dream for a situation where you see it running at you far enough away you can bring it up and pop off one or 2 steady shots.

more like youll have enough time to feel the shit squirt out your ass and the warmth as you try and draw it up fast enough to get it on target.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am strongly looking at a Daniel Defense ar pistol to take camping. Does a .300 blackout run as reliably as a 5.56?
View Quote

Yes

How much more real world effective is it than a 5.56 on bears, hogs, and barriers out of a 10 or 8 inch barrel?
View Quote

I would prefer .300blk in those barrel lengths, but bullet selection for either is also an important factor.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
are you going to be walking combat ready all the time with your ar? you can dream for a situation where you see it running at you far enough away you can bring it up and pop off one or 2 steady shots.

more like youll have enough time to feel the shit squirt out your ass and the warmth as you try and draw it up fast enough to get it on target.

View Quote

Read about a Brown bear attack where the 12 year old saved his Dad and Uncle. The 12 year old had his shotgun in the low ready as they walked while the Dad and Uncle had it slung over their shoulders on their backs. The bear burst through the bushes just a couple dozen feet from them where the Dad and Uncle could did not get their guns out before the bear was nearly on top of them. Luckily the 12 year old was able to put it down before it was able to do any damage. If you are walking through any kind of forest, woods or covered terrain in bear country you would be surprised how quiet and close a 1,000 pound bear can be and get to you before you are aware. This is why if you can't see at least 30+ yards in every direction you should have your rifle/shotgun in the low ready or your pistol on your chest or available instantaneously.

The 300BLK will work fine for medium brown to semi large black bears. If you are in the neighborhood of Large Brown Bears or Grizzlies I would probably use something bigger. Most Alaska guides carry shotguns with 00 or 000 buckshot or slugs for rifles. If the rifle is too cumbersome the pistol a lot of them carry will vary. Some go big with 44mag, 454 Casull. A lot have gone to the 10mm in Semi Autos to give them more shots and less recoil for a better chance to hit vitals or in rare cases multiple attackers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Every day millions of bears are killed with 300 blackout.

Before the invention of 300 blackout, gangs of armored bears would roam the streets with little regard to 5.56 which would bounce harmlessly off their fur.

We are once again safe to leave our basements thanks to this cartridge.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Bears aren't bulletproof and have been killed/driven off with a pretty high success rate with many standard caliber pistols. 5.56 manages to punch through steel plates, a bear skull might deflect some shots if it's a particularly bad angle, but you can shoot 5.56 really fast, and even with a mere 10rd mag I think a decent shot ought to be able to send enough 55gr or heavier messages to convince a bear of the error of their ways.
My only concern with an AR pistol or long gun for bear defense is that long guns are annoying and get in the way and you will probably want to lay it down so you can do actual work now and then. My own preference is that I'd rather have the less ideal gun (44/357 pistol in my case) on me all the time than the better gun most/some of the time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#32]
To the OP.
It depends what bear you are after. Black Bear is completely different animal, from Brown Bear. I have harvested quite a few of em, those animals are not to be played with. Extremely powerful, and way faster than person would ever expect it to be,...specially after been shot once, but not dropped. Names “Brown” ,and “Black”could be confusing for someone new to the area as well, which can be dangerous, because those two do not react same, specially after they been shot.
300 all the way, I would go with heavy solids, what ever you can find now. I took a large Black Bear male 7 years ago with SMLE and .303 fmj,
It took two hits like a champ, and passed away while running towards me,...soon after I soiled my pants, just a little.  Lol.
20-30 rds at quick disposal will dispatch any Bear, technically.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Every day millions of bears are killed with 300 blackout.

Before the invention of 300 blackout, gangs of armored bears would roam the streets with little regard to 5.56 which would bounce harmlessly off their fur.

We are once again safe to leave our basements thanks to this cartridge.

View Quote

ROTFLMAO!

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I've seen rabbits shot with 22lr go like crazy, wouldn't wanna see a bear like that 15 feet from me.    Take a look at small frame 308s with a 14.5" p&w or 12" barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top