Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2018 12:12:48 AM EDT
A while back, I caught one of those Aero upper/lower blem sets on sale for a ridiculous price.  Had no intention of building anything with it, so I just stashed in the safe for a rainy day.

One day, while shooting out on public land in the desert, a car full of wahoos rolled up, set up shop directly next to me (despite wide open desert for a few hundred yards in either direction), and just started randomly mag dumping into thin air.  I couldn't help but think to myself "it'd be pretty nice if I had something so loud that they'd fuck off without me having to ask."

So I waited for some parts to go on sale and built this unpleasant little bastard.

Upper

• Aero M5 Blem

• 12.5" Ballistic Advantage 1:10

• 12" Aero M5 MLOK

• Aero upper parts

• Brownells NiB BCG

• Superlative Arms Bleed-off Clamp-on

• Silencerco ASR Brake

• MBUS

• Viper PST 1-6 in an LT158

• Can is a Specwar 762

Lower

• Aero M5 Blem

• Had most of the lower parts laying around

• SBA3 Brace

• KAK 'Shorty' H3 buffer

• Tubbs flat .308 spring

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great! Been wanting to do a 12.5 mini recce build in either 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc

Let us know how she shoots OP
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I really need to sbr mine. Wonder if a 12.5” midlength will run.

Your gun reminds me of the SLR guys machine gun. That’s what you need when you’re feeling obnoxious.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks great! Been wanting to do a 12.5 mini recce build in either 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc

Let us know how she shoots OP
View Quote
Surprisingly, a lot better than I thought it would.

After putting it all together and getting the gas tuned, I'd initially put a few different flavors of 147 gr. M80 through it, as well as a handful of 168 gr. factory 'match' loads, but none of them were anything to write home about (anywhere between 2-5 MOA, from a sled).  I tried some 175 gr. FGMM, just for shits and giggles, which (aside from being significantly low) ended up exceeding my expectations.  3 shots at 100 yds.

It's loud, though.

Really loud.

Loud enough to get more than a few "holy shits" and "Jesus Christs" when shooting under the covered awnings at my local range.  A few people left.  Others were doubling up on ear pro.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I really need to sbr mine. Wonder if a 12.5” midlength will run.

Your gun reminds me of the SLR guys machine gun. That’s what you need when you’re feeling obnoxious.
View Quote
The way eforms are going right now, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about doing a form-1 on it.

.308 is pretty forgiving in terms of getting it to cycle.  Mine's carbine-length with an H3 buffer, and I've still got the gas block cranked almost all the way out on the bleed setting.  Mid length probably won't give you too many problems.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
You're in my brain, OP. That's almost exactly the config I want in a sbr(ish) 308 build. Glad I didn't see this post before Brownell's Halloween sale ended. I was very VERY tempted to jump on their low prices for AeroPrecision M5 uppers and lowers, but that would of put on hold my current project, so resisted. I definitely like what you built tho!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:02:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You're in my brain, OP. That's almost exactly the config I want in a sbr(ish) 308 build. Glad I didn't see this post before Brownell's Halloween sale ended. I was very VERY tempted to jump on their low prices for AeroPrecision M5 uppers and lowers, but that would of put on hold my current project, so resisted. I definitely like what you built tho!!!
View Quote
A lot of places are starting to sweeten the deal lately.  Some are throwing in a handguard, some do a BCG, some do an LPK or other small parts.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were some crazy deals around the holidays this year.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I really do enjoy my 12.5" Form 1'd MATEN SBR in .308.

I only run it suppressed, and the accuracy is in the 2MOA range with 168gr/175gr FGMM and a number of handloads using 150-185gr match bullets, but the sound of it on steel at normal 2G/3G distances is so much more rewarding than .223.

Took me a bit, but I've finally come o terms with this not being a 1MOA gun, even with a Ranier Arms UltraMatch barrel. Probably sent 300+ rounds down the pipe doing load dev with a few different powders and the Berger 185gr OTM, 175gr SMK, and 155gr TMK, only to find they all basically hold the same 2"x2" 5 shot groups at 100yds as the 150gr Hornady FMJBT bulk pack bullets.

Broke down and put 20rds of the 168gr and 175gr FGMM on a target to see if I was just missing the mark in load dev and got the same results, so I'm just going to call it good and run the Hornady 150s over Win748 at this point.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A lot of places are starting to sweeten the deal lately.  Some are throwing in a handguard, some do a BCG, some do an LPK or other small parts.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were some crazy deals around the holidays this year.
View Quote
That's what I'm banking on.. Some sweet deals this holiday season on the parts I need to scratch a 308 SBR off my bucket list
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice. I like my 12.5" too.

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
For those interested, PSA confirmed they will be producing a 12.5 soon. I’m waiting for it
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Not to hijack the thread too much, but what sort of accuracy are others with 12.5-14" .308 AR10s getting?

Seems like this is the highest number of .308 SBR AR10 shooters I've seen in a single thread in a bit, haha.

As I said earlier, my Ranier UltraMatch did 2MOA with 20rds each of 168gr and 175gr FGMM and has held about the same with the best nodes I could find for the 185gr Berger OTM, 175SMK, and 155TMK using 8208XBR, IMR4064, and H4895. The 150gr Hornady FMJBTs give me about the same 2MOA groups with Win748.

Good ES/SDs on the loads which showed promise in my velocity ladder testing, but the groups just never seem to really tighten up at any of the promising velocity nodes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep i need to build one now...
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
That's badass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread too much, but what sort of accuracy are others with 12.5-14" .308 AR10s getting?

Seems like this is the highest number of .308 SBR AR10 shooters I've seen in a single thread in a bit, haha.

As I said earlier, my Ranier UltraMatch did 2MOA with 20rds each of 168gr and 175gr FGMM and has held about the same with the best nodes I could find for the 185gr Berger OTM, 175SMK, and 155TMK using 8208XBR, IMR4064, and H4895. The 150gr Hornady FMJBTs give me about the same 2MOA groups with Win748.

Good ES/SDs on the loads which showed promise in my velocity ladder testing, but the groups just never seem to really tighten up at any of the promising velocity nodes.
View Quote
I didn't expect big things from such a short barrel -- minute-of-badguy was about all I was hoping for.  
It was more about making noise and blowing fireballs than accuracy.

I zeroed mine with M80 (since that's what I use for plinking ammo) at 100 yds, from a sled, on a relatively calm day.  Light wind, maybe 2-3mph max.

Groups with M80 ball ammo were roughly 3-4".
168 gr. PPU 'Match', 168 gr. FGMM, and 168 gr. Hornady Black were slightly better, but not by much.  Groups were around 2-3" and about an inch low.
I posted a pic of my 175 gr. FGMM group above, just slightly under 1", but shot about 3" low compared to the lighter projectiles.

I'm not a benchrest guy, so I don't have exact measurements or anything.

Most important thing is that it makes enough noise to get me a bit of personal space at outdoor ranges.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Accuracy is not affected by barrel lengths,

You're just going to lose a lot of velocity from the cartridge at 12.5''.. not accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#16]
How do you like that Viper PST on a 308? I have a Viper PST 4-16x50 and I was thinking about getting a Razor HD II-e JM1 and using mine for more close range but what model is like half the price and basically the same scope. I know the glass is not as good but other than that, how is it working for you? What distance ranges have you used it at?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I enjoy my 12.5 308. It's loud and heavy. I buy bulk 168 A-Max and 150 FMJ. Adjusted load on the 150 FMJ to get close to the 168 @100 yards. It's a beast. Have a eotech on it. Don't shoot it much since I built a 6.5 Grendel and 300 BO. It's my SHTF AR to produce something serious firepower.  Tried my sandman - s on it but still to loud. Looking for another can for it.
Here is a picture of it with a shockwave brace. Now has the SBA3 brace.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How do you like that Viper PST on a 308? I have a Viper PST 4-16x50 and I was thinking about getting a Razor HD II-e JM1 and using mine for more close range but what model is like half the price and basically the same scope. I know the glass is not as good but other than that, how is it working for you? What distance ranges have you used it at?
View Quote
Bought it used on the EE.  I'm sure the Razor is clearer and has better turrets, but for what I paid, I really can't complain.

It's totally fine for what it is.  I've got about 100 rounds through the gun, but so far so good.  No trouble hitting anything from 20 yards out to about 300.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
I saw you post that on the PSA thread.  Shit's awesome.

Makes me want to get out the rattlecans.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're just going to lose a lot of velocity from the cartridge at 12.5''.. not accuracy.
View Quote
In pure scientific theory of course you are correct but the problem is that a lot of the short AR10 barrels are skinny and shoot worse than their longer skinny siblings. There was a great article or maybe post on here I read years ago about how much frustration this guy was going through on his shorty AR10 trying to get the same accuracy as his longer barrels. He had tried changing several variables as had a few others and the consensus was that they were really hard to get perfect.

I just wish our barrel selection was better. I am really on the hard side as I have a Armalite so all this newer DPMS pattern stuff won't work for me. I still have my original midlength stainless barrel I had cut to 14.5" but never put the gun back together. Now I am thinking about just chopping it down to 13" or 12.5" after confirming it still shoots well because I have a can I want to run on it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]
What velocity do the 12.5" produce?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on the weight and how hot you load to if you reload.  I don't have my numbers in front of me but I was back and forth between loading hot reloads using 30cal 125gr MKZ projectiles from Cavity Back Bullets OR hornady's 178gr ELD-X round's.

Basically I planned to drive a lighter bullet designed to expand at 300blk speeds much faster to push its range or get something with an excellent BC that still expands.  Using some ballistics calculators, I would still get expansion speeds at 350-400 yards which was totally within my needs of hunting.  I ended up going with the factory Hornady since the accuracy was excellent and the ability to order online or find at a local Academy Sports was super convenient.

So for my hunting needs, the shorter 12.5" suppressed would give me the range I need with the extra ummph to bust boars shoulders or handle heavier brush I see in east Tx
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#24]
To be truly loud and obnoxious you need the following:

Aero upper and lower bought on a black friday sale, with a 10.5" stainless KAK barrel:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Aero upper and lower bought on a black friday sale, with a 10.5" stainless KAK barrel:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347286/DSCN0107_JPG-726316.JPG
View Quote
Can't take you seriously without a huge obnoxious comp/brake. Then I will know you are serious about being annoying
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/347286/DSCN0107_JPG-726316.JPG
View Quote
Yup.  Pretty sure thats the same set I bought last year.

I honestly thought about going with that same barrel, but the deciding factor was that my can is only rated down to 12" in .308.

Didn't want to blow out a baffle or something, and have Silencerco stumble across my post history.  lol
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Depends on the weight and how hot you load to if you reload.  I don't have my numbers in front of me but I was back and forth between loading hot reloads using 30cal 125gr MKZ projectiles from Cavity Back Bullets OR hornady's 178gr ELD-X round's.

Basically I planned to drive a lighter bullet designed to expand at 300blk speeds much faster to push its range or get something with an excellent BC that still expands.  Using some ballistics calculators, I would still get expansion speeds at 350-400 yards which was totally within my needs of hunting.  I ended up going with the factory Hornady since the accuracy was excellent and the ability to order online or find at a local Academy Sports was super convenient.

So for my hunting needs, the shorter 12.5" suppressed would give me the range I need with the extra ummph to bust boars shoulders or handle heavier brush I see in east Tx
View Quote
Those 178's work pretty well out of your gun?

Mine seems to like heavier projectiles.  I was gonna try out those ELD-X and maybe 175 Sierra.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Those 178's work pretty well out of your gun?

Mine seems to like heavier projectiles.  I was gonna try out those ELD-X and maybe 175 Sierra.
View Quote
Out of my 308 they have grouped very well.  I haven't had a chance to shoot them past 200 yards yet or take an animal, but on steel/paper at 100-200 I've been very happy with them
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I mean no offense, but I honestly don't see the point of using such a short barrel with .308.  The cartridge simply isn't designed to burn powder that fast, so it's going to have an insane amount of leftover energy coming out the barrel translating to very loud muzzle blast and sound, as you've already noticed.  Imagine trying to use this in an indoor environment without ear protection...one shot and you'll be deaf for life.  I see you put a suppressor on it, but that probably doesn't work very well either because it can't do anything about the supersonic crack.  If you want a .308 diameter bullet in a short barrel, why not use .300 blk?  The powder is designed to burn faster so you'll get better performance, and you can actually get a heavier subsonic variety which works well with the silencer making it an excellent choice for home defense, and Lehigh defense even makes hollow point subsonic .300 blackout that maintains excellent bone penetration capability without over-penetrating walls, and more lethal for soft tissue than a .300 win due to the much larger wound channel.

With that said, it's a nice looking build, and probably a good laugh to shoot at the range at night with the muzzle blast.  Try putting a M4-72 compensator on the end if you want to make it even more of a "blast" to shoot ;)
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Not everything has to be super practical.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks slick as hell, but is latching the specwar as much of a bitch as it looks?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I mean no offense, but I honestly don't see the point of using such a short barrel with .308.  The cartridge simply isn't designed to burn powder that fast, so it's going to have an insane amount of leftover energy coming out the barrel translating to very loud muzzle blast and sound, as you've already noticed.  Imagine trying to use this in an indoor environment without ear protection...one shot and you'll be deaf for life.  I see you put a suppressor on it, but that probably doesn't work very well either because it can't do anything about the supersonic crack.  If you want a .308 diameter bullet in a short barrel, why not use .300 blk?  The powder is designed to burn faster so you'll get better performance, and you can actually get a heavier subsonic variety which works well with the silencer making it an excellent choice for home defense, and Lehigh defense even makes hollow point subsonic .300 blackout that maintains excellent bone penetration capability without over-penetrating walls, and more lethal for soft tissue than a .300 win due to the much larger wound channel.

With that said, it's a nice looking build, and probably a good laugh to shoot at the range at night with the muzzle blast.  Try putting a M4-72 compensator on the end if you want to make it even more of a "blast" to shoot ;)
View Quote
If it’s a pure numbers evaluation, it still has more weight and better BC than 300blk/7.62x39 in a comparatively  shorter barrel and overall shorter package when suppressed. M80 will run about 2450 in a 12.5. 168 FGMM 2250-2300. 125’s 2600. It is a marked improvement over the intermediate cartridges. Using a longer receiver set like lwrc six8, can bridge the gap with newly developed cartridges with 264 or277 bullets
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:12:38 AM EDT
[#33]
it's crazy the amount of brakes i see mounted on these short 308's

i guess it's one way to clear the lanes next to you at the range if you don't like the "neighbors"

a 12.5" barreled 308 was my second ar way back when you were called "stupid" if you went with anything less than an 18" barrel , it's still one of my favorite shooters.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

i guess it's one way to clear the lanes next to you at the range if you don't like the "neighbors"

a 12.5" barreled 308 was my second ar way back when you were called "stupid" if you went with anything less than an 18" barrel , it's still one of my favorite shooters.
View Quote
Outside of my 50's my 16" AR10 with the factory Armalite brake was the worst of my guns. It was the original reason I had the barrel cut to 14.5". Saw on Armalites page where they offer a 13.5" with a pinned brake and I can't even imagine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
The entire point of this gun was 'leftover energy.'

I built it just to make a bunch of noise, and hopefully get people to leave me alone when I'm shooting in the desert.  It'll never be used in the house, and I agree that it's definitely not the ideal behind the bed gun.  I've got other, smaller/quieter calibers for that.

But when I'm 20 miles from civilization and I want to get rid of the car full of jackwagons parked next to me, holding their handguns sideways and mag dumping into the berm, I put a few (unsuppressed) rounds through this, it makes them go away.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looks slick as hell, but is latching the specwar as much of a bitch as it looks?
View Quote
Nah, it's not nested super deep.

I just poke it with whatever's laying around -- usually the tip of a cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Ive been on the fence about a 12.5” .308 build for years... This thread may just push me over the edge haha.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#39]
My 12.5 POF with Leupold 1.5x5 SPR reticle and 25 rd MagPul of Hornady 155 LE Tap is my "Go to". Put a LAW folder on it and you'll really fall in love. Carbine and chest rig with 5 more 25 rounders, electronic ear pro, and a trauma kit that fits in a gym bag.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ive been on the fence about a 12.5" .308 build for years... This thread may just push me over the edge haha.
View Quote
Do it! I got turned on by a hunting buddy I trust that says his 12.5" 308 was his fav.  Watching him sling 150gr TSX projectiles at 2,550fps sold me!  When I crunched the numbers I realized it was giving him approx 800ft-lbs of more energy at the muzzle than a 300blk slinging its 110gr Barnes black tips that people rave about.

And the heavier 30cal projectiles tend to have better BC so it will hold that velocity better as well
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Shooting 168 A-Max with 8208 XBR, getting 2407 fps. Was using 4064 but 8208 burns up most of the powder. Tried my sandman-s suppressor but still loud. Considering the L version or a 338 LM suppressor for better suppressing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Shooting 168 A-Max with 8208 XBR, getting 2407 fps. Was using 4064 but 8208 burns up most of the powder. Tried my sandman-s suppressor but still loud. Considering the L version or a 338 LM suppressor for better suppressing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I put a 20rd box of 168gr and 175gr FGMM through mine back on 7 Sep. Here are the numbers from the LabRadar.

12.5” AR10 suppressed with SDN-6

20rd group

168gr FGMM

Lo: 2325
Hi: 2362
Avg: 2341
ES: 37
SD: 10.8

20rd group

175gr FGMM

Lo: 2279
Hi: 2335
Avg: 2310
ES: 55
SD: 14.7

Here’s some more velocity data I got with 5rd groups I made up after doing a velocity ladder.

Of note, the popped primers from the higher 150gr charge weight and factory 180gr were probably from the gas block being too open.

12.5” AR10 suppressed with SDN-6
IMR 4064
Win LRP
Virgin Win 308 brass SB FLR’d
OAL: 2.800”
Full FCD crimp

5rd group

185gr Juggernaut

41.7gr IMR 4064

Lo: 2133
Hi: 2172
Avg: 2149
ES: 39
SD: 15.3

43.0gr IMR 4064

Lo: 2218
Hi: 2231
Avg: 2226
ES: 13
SD: 5.5

155gr TMK

42.9gr IMR 4064

Lo: 2187
Hi: 2277
Avg: 2248
ES: 90
SD: 36

44.4gr IMR 4064

Lo: 2330
Hi: 2352
Avg: 2340
ES: 23
SD: 9.6

175gr SMK

40.5gr IMR 4064

Lo: 2064
Hi: 2116
Avg: 2081
ES: 53
SD: 22.0

41.9gr IMR 4064

Lo: 2152
Hi: 2220
Avg: 2183
ES: 68
SD: 26.9

150gr Hornady FMJBT
Win 748
OAL: 2.700”

47.2gr Win 748

Lo: 2584
Hi: 2616
Avg: 2594
ES: 31
SD: 12.4

48.3gr Win 748

Two popped primers

Lo: 2640
Hi: 2673
Avg: 2651
ES: 33
SD: 13.7

Winchester X 180gr Power Point factory am,o

Popped primers

10rd group

Labradar series: 92

Lo: 2312
Hi: 2402
Avg: 2359
ES: 90
SD: 35.6

Edited to clean up the data a bit. Need to revisit my earlier 8208XBR loads I abandoned after not seeing 1MOAish groups. Thinking this barrel just won't do it, but the easy metering and faster burn would make it a better powder than IMR 4064, all things considered. Might also put a 155TMK over that lower charge of Win 748 and see how it does.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with this statement for the most part, but it seems most of those running 12.5" .308 AR10s have noted them being less accurate than their longer barreled brethren.

My initial thought was that I was just sucking, but I would shoot good groups with other rifles in the same day.

Then I thought maybe I was flinching, due to the heavier recoil, but it does not appear this is the case, based on the time I now have on the rifle and my ability to shoot other .30 caliber rifles accurately now and in the past.

My next thought was that most running these short barrels are using red dots or low magnification optics, but I use a 4-16x on mine.

My theory as to why these are more difficult to obtain regular 1MOA accuracy comes from the notion that the shorter barrel is whipping about much faster from chamber to muzzle and back, leading to narrower nodes. My 2.5MOA results with 20rds each of 168gr and 175gr FGMM would seem to indicate there's either something wrong with the barrel (totally possible) or it's just a tougher tube to get tiny groups with, as noted in these generally respected factory loads achieving sub-standard results.

I might be thinking about that counterintuitively, and a longer barrel may have more of an issue, but the lack of a good number of folks talking about their regularly achieved accurate use leads me to believe there may be something to the notion that the .308 and sub-14" barrels are just finicky beasts.

Having said all that, I still love mine and have just come to the conclusion that it's a 2MOA gun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#44]
you seem to have good components, know how to reload, have used factory ammo,  I am sure your accuracy issue is frustrating.

I really think you have have a bad barrel.  have you tried grouping without the can on? I am guessing you have no issues shoot better groups with other AR's?

My only though on the issue is if you are happy with the rifles performance at 2MOA.  I would pull the barrel and put a lightweight barrel on it. Your accuracy probably wont be any worse than what you have now and it will handle so much better

From the limited amount of time i have on my 13.5 MWS i havent noticed any difference in accuracy between it and my last SS barrel that was 18 inches
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
you seem to have good components, know how to reload, have used factory ammo,  I am sure your accuracy issue is frustrating.

I really think you have have a bad barrel.  have you tried grouping without the can on? I am guessing you have no issues shoot better groups with other AR's?

My only though on the issue is if you are happy with the rifles performance at 2MOA.  I would pull the barrel and put a lightweight barrel on it. Your accuracy probably wont be any worse than what you have now and it will handle so much better

From the limited amount of time i have on my 13.5 MWS i havent noticed any difference in accuracy between it and my last SS barrel that was 18 inches
View Quote
Haven't put more than 2-3 rounds through the barrel without the SDN-6 on, if for no other reason than the AAC 51T muzzle brake/suppressor mount is pretty friggin' gnarly for the shooter on the 12.5" barrel

Once I confirmed I was getting round holes in a 3m target I started running suppressed 100% of the time.

I've kinda resigned myself to the idea it's a 2MOA gun at this point. I'm sure I could send the upper to the smith, have the barrel pulled and sent back to Rainier Arms for their inspection, and have a replacement or new barrel installed in its place.

I don't have the ability/knowledge to pull and/or install my own barrels, so the extra time and energy to go that route seems like a decent outlay with an unknown chance of improvement.

Maybe an email to Rainier asking what their accuracy expectations are is in order....
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#46]
How do you twist the ASR mount thingie?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How do you twist the ASR mount thingie?
View Quote
It's not nested super deep, so I just poke it with whatever's handy.

Punch, stick, keys, tip of a cartridge, etc.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#48]
How long is it with and without the can?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I agree with this statement for the most part, but it seems most of those running 12.5" .308 AR10s have noted them being less accurate than their longer barreled brethren.

My initial thought was that I was just sucking, but I would shoot good groups with other rifles in the same day.

Then I thought maybe I was flinching, due to the heavier recoil, but it does not appear this is the case, based on the time I now have on the rifle and my ability to shoot other .30 caliber rifles accurately now and in the past.

My next thought was that most running these short barrels are using red dots or low magnification optics, but I use a 4-16x on mine.

My theory as to why these are more difficult to obtain regular 1MOA accuracy comes from the notion that the shorter barrel is whipping about much faster from chamber to muzzle and back, leading to narrower nodes. My 2.5MOA results with 20rds each of 168gr and 175gr FGMM would seem to indicate there's either something wrong with the barrel (totally possible) or it's just a tougher tube to get tiny groups with, as noted in these generally respected factory loads achieving sub-standard results.

I might be thinking about that counterintuitively, and a longer barrel may have more of an issue, but the lack of a good number of folks talking about their regularly achieved accurate use leads me to believe there may be something to the notion that the .308 and sub-14" barrels are just finicky beasts.

Having said all that, I still love mine and have just come to the conclusion that it's a 2MOA gun.
View Quote
My groups tightened up after I put a timney trigger in my 12 inch 308. If you have a standard trigger, change it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My groups tightened up after I put a timney trigger in my 12 inch 308. If you have a standard trigger, change it.
View Quote
Running a Geissele SSA 2-stage. Use the same trigger in every rifle caliber AR I own and have shot plenty of good groups with them over the years.

Going to send an email to Rainier today and mention the 2-3" groups with 168 and 175 FGMM and see what they say.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top