Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/25/2018 9:31:10 AM EDT
I put my order in for a Criterion barrel a while back and had an expectation of a mid March delivery.  Well I get a call yesterday saying the 1-7 RH twist won't shoot the higher grain ammo like expected.  Apparently they went back to the drawing board and they are going to have to make a 1-6 or 1-6.5 twist.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the barrel length has a lot to do with it.  I am sure that a lot of people will want 16-18 inch barrels and I don't think 1/7 will cut it with the 90s at that length .
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Trust me you want the faster twist. Extra barrel length helps a tiny bit but not enough to get it done on those long bullets.

Greg
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Will be interesting to see if any changes are made with twist rates over time as right now some of the big companies that were part of T&E with Federal have 1:7 twist....Larue, JP, Savage...for their 18-22" barrels in 224V.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What if you want to shoot light bullets smoking?

I know as a kid with Lyman hammer dies, I loaded everything for speed. My 22 hornet had to flatten primers

View Quote
This is what I want.  I want to shoot a 55 grain bullet loaded at magazine length at 3500-3600 fps from a 20 inch barrel.  Any ideas if this is possible with 224 V

M193 +P  
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thin skinned light varmint bullets like tye 50 VMAX,will blow up at around 3700 or so in an eight twist.  The Noslers will stay together.  Faster twist will be worse plus you have the long throat jump designed for the big boys.

Odd, all that research and the first thing they did was drop that 100 grain pill. I think someone dropped the ball on the seven twist.

Greg
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is what I want.  I want to shoot a 55 grain bullet loaded at magazine length at 3500-3600 fps from a 20 inch barrel.  Any ideas if this is possible with 224 V

M193 +P  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if you want to shoot light bullets smoking?

I know as a kid with Lyman hammer dies, I loaded everything for speed. My 22 hornet had to flatten primers

M193 +P  
Curious what the M.V. would be for a 50-55gr bullet in this caliber loaded to max
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
OST
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I am wanting to run a bonded bullet or FMJ at high speed not a thin skinned varmint bullet. 1/9 probably would be good for this.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am wanting to run a bonded bullet or FMJ at high speed not a thin skinned varmint bullet. 1/9 probably would be good for this.
View Quote
Interesting conundrum; no hunting here, I just want to bust on steel and paper at 1,000.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OST
View Quote
If I were going for light bullets only an 8 would be fine like the Nosler is running. It will do 77's easily and the RDF 85's are being shot in the 8. The only detriment I see is that the thraot is so long.  Given that many of our bullets down't mind the jump a fellow might be all right.  Selecting away from the VMAX into the Nosler or Sierras I don't think you will be in danger of over-rotation. Remember the V. case capacity is only about a grain more than a 223 and the speeds just aren't going to be there to really challenge it too much. I'm shooting the 22X6.8 with about 15% more capacity along with the Nosler and they will blow them up VMAX at 3750. If you throttle back to 3675-3700 you would never know about the potential problem. I would not run below a 50 in the 1:7. You might get lucky with a 40 but who knows? You might not.

Myself?  I will build a polygonal 1:7 Valkyrie  and I know that from past experience they will stabilize a bit more bullet than the standard Enfeild types. Two reasons is that I have access to a barrel company and  that I want to know so no one can say I'm talking out my butt. That is why I have a very accurate Nosler setting on an upper right now. I had to know. The 22X6.8 is far superior to either the N or V  but for the average guy that wants OTC ammunition it just won't happen for them. I can shoot 90's in it with careful selection but my focus has been on the 77's and under and at mag length it hammers those all the way down to the 40's with a 1:8 twist thanks to the polygon rifling.

Greg
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
^^^

So you didn't/couldn't achieve the same results in say a 5R 1-in-8"?
View Quote
If you mean in a V I have no idea what results you are asking about. Light , heavy or..? Capacity is capacity in it. The spin will only let you shoot more or less bullets well.  The chamber free bore will determine a great deal in the accuracy of the tube regardless of bullet weight also.  Speeds in the 8 vs the 7 will be virtually unchanged but the physics will be kinder to the 8 bullets.

I don't shoot standard rifling in these hot rods. I use three or five groove polygonal barrels in these little guys so I can't speak directly to the standard ones. I do shoot both rifling typees side by side in other chamberings and the poly is a step up all the way across the board along with good chamber design.

Greg
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, in your opinion, how small and how fast can the 1-in-7" run ... and would I like a 1-in-8" better ?

I am in a unique position ... I can make myself whatever my heart desires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thin skinned light varmint bullets like tye 50 VMAX,will blow up at around 3700 or so in an eight twist.  The Noslers will stay together.  Faster twist will be worse plus you have the long throat jump designed for the big boys.

Odd, all that research and the first thing they did was drop that 100 grain pill. I think someone dropped the ball on the seven twist.

Greg
So, in your opinion, how small and how fast can the 1-in-7" run ... and would I like a 1-in-8" better ?

If all I ever wanted to shoot was lightweight gopher grenades like the Hornady SX, I'd spin up a 14 twist.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
^^^

Your polygonal comment ...

You all but said "Science !!"
View Quote
Quite simply the poly will shoot 90's. Fact is fact. Experience is experience. So there's a problem there?  You have to drive them hard but they are doable.

Greg
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If all I ever wanted to shoot was lightweight gopher grenades like the Hornady SX, I'd spin up a 14 twist.
View Quote
Bingo!!

Greg
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Greg

What do you need for 55’s a 1-12”? That’s probably what I would do unless I knew that I would exclusively shoot a lighter bullet
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What do you need for 55’s a 1-12”? That’s probably what I would do unless I knew that I would exclusively shoot a lighter bullet
View Quote
That would work. That's what the spec is for the .223 Remington.

But that's half-assing it to me. Why do I want to shoot 55s? I can't push them as fast as a 40, and they have a shit BC compared to a 90.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#22]
You guys get this straightened out so the rest of us know what to do
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been very interested in the V guns and have been following the development pretty close. It appears that most are being produced with a 1/7 twist but not because it's best, because it's still a fairly new caliber and they don't want to spend the extra money on the equipment needed to go to a 1/6.5 which everyone seems pretty much in agreement as being optimal. Pretty much, if a barrel maker has a 1/7 button rifler they'll be making V barrels if they don't they won't offer them yet.

As for shooting 55g bullets... Why? Just buy a .223 Wylde if you want to do that. Remember, the .224 V was developed to be a Creedmore with half the recoil. Ironically, the Creedmore was developed to be a .308 with half the recoil. The Grendel falls somewhere in between and does it in a small frame. Sorry got side tracked.

Anyway, I would hold off on a .224 V until the 1/6.5 twists are available and I'd go with a 22 or 24 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As for shooting 55g bullets... Why? Just buy a .223 Wylde if you want to do that.

Anyway, I would hold off on a .224 V until the 1/6.5 twists are available and I'd go with a 22 or 24 inch barrel.
View Quote
I'd agree with both these statements.  My 20 inch 1/7 twist Craddock barrel is doing great with 90's, sub moa with factory Federal 90 grain SMK loads, and I've pushed both of the 90 grain Berger and Sierra's to about 2750 fps with no pressure signs.  Shot in temps from 17 to 50 degrees.  Holding off further load testing till it's warmer.  Personal opinion is the 18 inch barrels will probably make for good DMR style rifles that will be supersonic beyond 1000, so far my rifle is taking really well to being pushed harder then factory loads, I only have a small sample size to go by though.  But the 18's shouldn't be far behind with hand loads.  If competition or max range is your goal, I'd opt for something like the 1/6.5 from Craddock and go 22 or 24 for the Sierra 95's and anything that might hit the market this summer.  I wouldn't be surprised if the 95 grain Sierra's can be pushed into the 2700-2800 fps range from a 22-24 inch barrel.

One last thing as far as the OP's main statement is concerned, am I not the only one thinking.....  What's wrong with a rifle caliber having multiple twist offerings?  If you want a Valkyrie geared toward faster light to mid range 1/7 or 1/7.7 if you want the heavy 90 plus grains go with the 1/6.5.  Every other caliber does it, I see no reason why the Valkyrie shouldn't also.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Berger recommend the 6.5 and 6 twist for their 90 VLD.

The main attraction to .224 Valkyrie seems to be long range performance, as well as heavy-for caliber hunting on medium game if allowed.

Would have to gauge interest from the varmint crowd, since .224 bore is very popular for yotes and below.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I would like to shoot the 90s mostly, so 1/6 in a 20"?

Without getting all sciency, I would possibly shoot the lighter stuff, but would want the 90s to shoot well.

I am sure more bullets will be developed for this as it goes forward.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would like to shoot the 90s mostly, so 1/6 in a 20"?

Without getting all sciency, I would possibly shoot the lighter stuff, but would want the 90s to shoot well.

I am sure more bullets will be developed for this as it goes forward.
View Quote
+1

I'd like to be able to reliably shoot the Federal 90gr MKs. I'm not too worried about the 100gr fusion hunting round.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
^^^

I am told the Federal 90s are shooting great out of the 20" LaRue 224V rifles (1-in-7") I shipped to them last Labor Day.
View Quote
Was that your rifle in their (Federal's) video of the 1300 yard shot?

I'm still reading thread after thread on other forums trying to find some real data relating to twist.

ETA - I haven't stumbled across anyone loading Bergers (yet).
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I haven't completely figured out posting pictures, so hopefully this works and then anyone can see the actual numbers from my 20 inch 1/7 twist barrel.  Bullet stability being the key question, so I'll include chronograph results, temp was 45 deg F, and elevation was at 1750 feet above sea level.

These are factory loaded Federal 90 grain SMK's, bullet length averages around 1.165 inches long

So you have all the information to punch in for factory loads, just adjust the elevation and temperature to your local conditions.  My SG is 1.73 in 45 degree weather, the 1/7 twist barrels stabilize 90 grain Sierra Match Kings very well.

The 90 grain Berger VLD's I received from Midway measure out to an average of around 1.225, They are in the Berger drop down menu on the stability calculator page as being 1.25 inches long.  Either way, quite a bit longer then 90 grain SMK's, only marginally stable from my barrel at an SG of 1.44 in the same weather and elevation conditions, and this and the 95 grain SMK's(I haven't seen any measurements from these bullets yet) might be where the 1/7 twist barrels run into trouble.  Temperature plays a big part in it, colder conditions being worse.

Berger Twist rate Calculator

If you're happy shooting factory Federal 90 grain SMK's, the 1/7 will be just fine, If you live in warmer climate, the others may work as well or play it safe and go with a 1/6.5
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who is loading factory 90 Bergers ?
View Quote
I will be
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
^^^

I am told the Federal 90s are shooting great out of the 20" LaRue 224V rifles (1-in-7") I shipped to them last Labor Day.
View Quote
We are about to find out

I need to pick up a 2.0 to keep it warm
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I will be
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who is loading factory 90 Bergers ?
I will be
I will be using either 90gr Berger or 90gr SMK. Possibly I’ll pick out a lighter explosive bullet for nuking prairie dogs. But the main focus will be long and heavy projos to buck this OK panhandle wind...
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I plan to shoot 90/100 Gr. hunting bullets for deer and hogs, the 90/95 Gr. SMK for 1k paper/steel and 75/77 class bullets for varmints. I believe the 6.5 twist will be ideal for this purpose and that is what I am holding out for.

I initially thought about using it to hot rod 50/55 class bullets, but don't think the capacity is there to do significantly more than the 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No proof, but I suspect twist rate is being blamed for poorly made barrels.

View Quote
I can't argue with that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's a lot of that with AR barrels.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Haha, that is one variable I never accounted for.  That's why you make the big bucks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I was ordering barrels today from Green mountain and was told they are planning to offer a Valkyrie barrel soon. I tried to get more info but my sales person didn't know anymore. They did make a run of 6.5 twist AR15 barrels in .556 . With more people calling the y might do the faster twist ?
They will make a special order barrel in 6.5 twist but you have to buy a hundred blanks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#42]
I was coming here to discuss this. I was going to buy a Criterion barrel from MSR, then I say that MSR says

These 1-7 twist barrels are optimized for the lighter grain 224 Valkyrie projectiles. Not recommended for use with 90 grain projectiles.
View Quote
I emailed Criterion. Here is there response:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/9290/224-dia-90-gr-HPBT

This is due in part to what Sierra bullets says about the twist requirements for their 90 grain bullets.  If you take a look at the link above you will see a recommendation (highlighted in red) stating that the 90 grain loads require a twist of 1:6.5 or even faster for proper stabilization.  This can be cross checked with a variety of different bullet stability calculators and I think you will find that this is common across the board with the heavier bullets.  We are currently testing several different twist and rifling options to find a perfect match for the heavier 90 grain bullets.  Additionally it is very likely that ammunition manufacturers will continue to push the envelope with new and heavier bullet designs in the future.  When you have a cartridge that is loaded with a wide range of loads from lighter bullets like the 60 grain loads all the way up to 90 + grain loads there is rarely a single twist option that will perform equally well with all of the options out there.  So to answer your question, MSR Arms is letting customers know that if they intend to exclusively use the heavier bullets, that the 1:7 may not be ideal for their uses.  I hope that this helps to answer some of your questions.  If you have any more questions feel free to contact me directly.  If you want to know more about MSR's reasoning I would encourage you to contact them as I cannot truly speak for their company and the exact reasoning behind statements on their website.  I really do appreciate your questions!

Sincerely,
Michael Ross
CBI Technical Support
W172 N13050 Division Rd.
Germantown, WI 53022
Phone: (262) 628-8749
Office Fax: (262) 677-2554
View Quote
Is anyone else having trouble shooting 90 and 100 grain bullets from a 1:7?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#43]
This is why you never jump in early on a new cartridge
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
true

I always let others be guinea pigs on new weapons or cartridges. I started a build for a 6.5G in the fall, but put it on hold to see how the 224v went. All I need is a barrel. I will probably still go with 224v, but letting others figure out bbl length, twist and such.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t know I bet the early adopters of 6.8 feel that way. There have been several new gun and calibers that required working out.

I bought a first year motorcycle and it had teething issues too. If you aren’t trying to keep up with the Joneses no reason not to let it calm down and get worked out first.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I can just about guarantee we will see 6.5 and even 6.0 twist barrels later this year. I am holding out for one, as the real benefit of the 224 V is being able to shoot the long/heavies in an AR15 platform.

I would think the 6.5 or 6.0 will still shoot 75/77 grainers just fine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I think a fast twist would be great for the heavier bullets but I personally would also like a 1/9 twist so I can shoot the 55 grain bullets as fast as possible and occasionally shoot 77 grains or so.  I would of course get both .
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don’t know I bet the early adopters of 6.8 feel that way. There have been several new gun and calibers that required working out.

I bought a first year motorcycle and it had teething issues too. If you aren’t trying to keep up with the Joneses no reason not to let it calm down and get worked out first.
View Quote
exactly how I was going to respond.  If you have limited funds to put into a project, you want to let others figure out what works best first.  those people that hopped on the 6.8 bandwagon right away weren't happy!
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think a fast twist would be great for the heavier bullets but I personally would also like a 1/9 twist so I can shoot the 55 grain bullets as fast as possible and occasionally shoot 77 grains or so.  I would of course get both .
View Quote
I could be wrong, but I doubt the 224V pushes those weight bullets a whole lot faster than the 5.56. I believe there is only a couple grains difference in capacity. I would imagine the 22 Nosler would be a better round for pushing the light bullets faster.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top