Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/12/2018 10:39:09 AM EDT
I was shooting my 7” AR-47 yesterday and trying to verify zero at 25 yards. It was a few inches low at 25 with just the flash can on. I expected that height over bore difference as I originally sighted it at 50. I was aiming at the right lower bullseye.

I put my YHM phantom on and shot at the target at left lower bullseye. The rounds are hitting 8+ inches high!

Attachment Attached File

I checked for baffle/end cap strikes and see nothing.

I was shooting the same GT 7.62x39 for both sides. I have chronoed it without the suppressor at 2k fps my last trip with a buddies chrono.

Has anybody seen this dramatic of a poi shift at such a short distance using a suppressor?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish I had some sage advice but all I can say is that it does happen.  A few guys shooting Lane suppressors on their .458 SOCOMs were/are having huge POI shifts and baffle strikes.  They keep enlarging the clearance but are still having problems, and we are talking POI shifts in the feet, not inches.  
I hope you can get it figured out but the guy I am mainly thinking about has had to resort to sending his upper and suppressor back to the maker to try and figure things out, and so far, with no fix.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't imagine a 24 MOA POI shift just with a can.

What kind of handguard/upper is that?

Only think I can think of is somehow red dot is moving with installation of the can. Whether that be that the can moves your rail which moves your dot or something else.

Are you making sure to rest your handguard on the shooting rest and not the suppressor?
Have you tried shooting bare muzzle?
What kind of barrel?

Hmm.. This is a tough one.
View Quote
The rail is an old carbine length PRI. I got it as the phantom fits under it without contacting. Barrel is a palmetto AR-47 with hybrid bolt.

The rail the optic is mounted to is part of the PRI rail and is torqued properly with a fat wrench as is the PA md ad optic.

The weirdest part is that it is repeatable. With the suprresor off it’s on target and when you add the suppressor it hits high. The groups are similar both ways too.

I guess I really need to borrow a chrono to see if the extra 8 inches of suppressor is changing the bullet velocity drastically.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 308 that changes about 7 minute of angle at 100yds.  And it runs about 40 fps faster with the suppressor.  Other rifles i have some shoot better with it and some shoot better without it.  Guess maybe barrel harmonics.  I was also told that how true your threads are cut to your bore makes a big poi difference.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does your YHM can have dramatic POI shifts on any other rifles?

That POI shift equates to .32" at 1 yard
View Quote
The shift with my other rifles is negligible. I use it on 10.5 5.56, 18 308, 10.5 300aac

There has to be something funky going on here. It has me really scratching my head.

The AR-47 is my only 7” barrel. I might just dismantle and reassemble it to check everything again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Did you happen to try shooting from the rest at different positions on the handguard... ie magwell end resting on the bag.

I wonder if the suppressor is banging the handguard upon firing.... or something is pushing on the suppressor / barrel , enough to move the POI that far.
View Quote
I only shot it from the rest so that is a possibility.

I torqued the handguard when I first assembled it but it might have loosened up without me noticing. Every shot is like a mini concussion grenade with that little barrel.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Im assuming its a direct thread Phantom?  Threads on barrel are just slightly off or the shoulder on barrel. Not enough for a baffle strike, just enough to throw POI off that far.
At least it appears consistent.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Mystery solved, couldn’t even feel the damn thing when installing the suppressor.

Tl;Dr I’m tarded

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Hitting the pin on the bottom?  Would make sense.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mystery solved, couldn’t even feel the damn thing when installing the suppressor.

Tl;Dr I’m tarded

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195843/E68CF616-E3F2-406C-86F3-54158C4447F6-449863.JPG
View Quote
Nice OP.

I did something similar once with an Mlok Bipod mount
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Did you shoot it yet without the can hitting that thing? I wanna see some more groups
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:00:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I had large impact swings. Not that excessive with an SDN6 can but when I used an Omega the swing was hardly noticeable
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Could someone clarify?  I'm not familiar with AK's or YHM suppressors.  In that pic explaining the "pin", is that pin part of the handguard or something in the suppressor as it fits an AK?  I'm guessing it's in the handguard.  A side pic would probably be self explanatory.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Could someone clarify?  I'm not familiar with AK's or YHM suppressors.  In that pic explaining the "pin", is that pin part of the handguard or something in the suppressor as it fits an AK?  I'm guessing it's in the handguard.  A side pic would probably be self explanatory.
View Quote
It is an AR pistol chambered in 7.62x39. I have a free float tube on it that is longer than the barrel. I added a hand stop to keep me from putting my hand in front of the ridiculously short barrel. The nut holding the hand stop on contacted my suppressor causing it to flex the barrel upward. I didn’t notice it contacting when installing the suppressor and thought I had other issues.

Pistol for reference
Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top