Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2017 3:10:32 PM EDT
I got a Bear Creek 16" contour profile barrel for 6.5 Grendel.  I mounted a YHM QD FH for my Ti Phantom and the groupings were around 5 MOA and all over the place.  Without the suppressor on it grouped about 1.5 MOA.  These were both 10 shot groups using Hornady 123 AMAX, factory loads.

I found that the shoulder area is .700 just before the threads.  For suppressors and QD devices, I don't think there is enough shoulder.  Both Silencerco and YHM both require a minimum of .720.

I don't know if for sure that is the issue or not.  The can looks aligned, I see no shadows.  Maybe the barrel doesn't like a can period, don't know.  I like it, bought a complete upper, but now need a new plan for deer season since I won't be using this upper, at least the barrel, looking at a different barrel now to replace the BCA with.

Anyway, FYI.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Granit Ridge Outfitters has Ballistic Advantage barrels on sale... I just got two... and they have free shipping.

My recent Faxon 20" acquisition on a group buy likes the 123 SST and 123 ELD Match when suppressed...

The Faxon is .740"...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Was looking at the 16" Faxon or the BA one, thoughts on either?  Not both.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thought I would post the pics of what I had.

Going to replace the BCA barrel with Faxon or BA and use the rest.

Attachment Attached File

10 shot group.  With the suppressor.

Attachment Attached File

The flyer was definitely me and where the hits are was up, I had put the target on sideways.  10 shot group.  Without the suppressor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was looking at the 16" Faxon or the BA one, thoughts on either?  Not both.  
View Quote
BA hands down...
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Just found an Odin Works 16" ultra light off of the EE with an adjustable gas block and the gas tube for $240.  I have had excellent experience with my 18" OW DMR, so looking forward to this!
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:10:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just found an Odin Works 16" ultra light off of the EE with an adjustable gas block and the gas tube for $240.  I have had excellent experience with my 18" OW DMR, so looking forward to this!
View Quote
Ive ran that exact setup for a little over a year and have nothing but goods things to say about it. 1-1.5 moa GROUPS not group using factory Hornady Black. .75-1 moa GROUPS not group using 123 ELD-M handloads. It also loved the 100gr Nosler BT and 100gr ELD-M

Even with a 16" ultralite barrel I was ringing 12"x12" steel at 810 yards with a 9x scope consistently. 660ft asl.

IMO the ILGS with the tunable gas block makes for a very very smooth shooter. I was able to get mine to function flawlessly from hot 123gr handloads to factory 90gr TNT loads.

You wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I really wish that AA sold their 16" extreme LW melonite alone instead of only in the upper package deal.

My 16" lite is really cooperative even with the cheap Wolf.  These  have a 1:7.5" twist which
would be advantageous with heavier bullets.

Even with the package deal it runs $300. This includes an upper, gas block/tube and charging handle

6.5 G Extreme LW upper kit
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really wish that AA sold their 16" extreme LW melonite alone instead of only in the upper package deal.

My 16" lite is really cooperative even with the cheap Wolf.  These  have a 1:7.5" twist which
would be advantageous with heavier bullets.

Even with the package deal it runs $300. This includes an upper, gas block/tube and charging handle

6.5 G Extreme LW upper kit
View Quote
As a package deal that really isn't priced all too bad.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I was considering the AA 16" LW, but their weird thread size is just a no go for me.  I don't want to buy a barrel and then have to spend another $90 or so dollars for a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was considering the AA 16" LW, but their weird thread size is just a no go for me.  I don't want to buy a barrel and then have to spend another $90 or so dollars for a muzzle device.
View Quote
What exact device? There are actually more than I first realized, out there in that thread pattern.

A quick google search will show you
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#11]
More along the lines of current muzzle devices I already had instead of having  to buy new ones.  If I recall when I originally looked at barrels when I first started looking at the Grendel, I don't Griffin Armament has that thread pitch.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#12]
CNC Warrior, and Rousch Sports both have several varieties of FH's and brakes priced relatively inexpensive.

CNC Warrior also has thread adapters to 5/8-24
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:11:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I found that the shoulder area is .700 just before the threads.  For suppressors and QD devices, I don't think there is enough shoulder.  Both Silencerco and YHM both require a minimum of .720.
View Quote

Can you have someone cut that?

My plan was to get a 16" and have someone like ADCO cut down to 12.5" and rethread to fit my suppressor.
I'll have to check my suppressor mount. I only have the AAC 762SDN6 for .30 cal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My plan was to get a 16" and have someone like ADCO cut down to 12.5" and rethread to fit my suppressor.
I'll have to check my suppressor mount. I only have the AAC 762SDN6 for .30 cal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AAC has mounts that index off of the muzzle so the shoulder shouldn't be an issue. You might want to confirm but I know that I have some 300 black out barrels that don't have enough shoulder so I use those mounts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
The barrel is good IMO, but I always shoot suppressed, so just easier for me to sell.  I got an Odin Works 16" Lightweigt with adjustable gas block off of the EE for $240 so went with that.  The shoulder on that measures .746.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top