Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 5:26:45 PM EDT
I stumbled into the lower pictured below for a song.  Problem is, I've never dealt in the -10 world and I don't know AR-10 from -10A from -10B from WD-40...

So I got  a couple questions...  

What do I have?

What "model" of upper can I use to build it up?

Anything I should avoid or shy away from?

What would YOU build with a practically free AR-10 lower???

(FWIW, I've built dozens of AR-15's over the years - I'm just having an unusually difficult time navigating the AR-10 world....)

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, Nice!

You have an Armalite AR-10B  lower. It takes the M-14 based magazine. You`ll need a "B" series upper receiver. ArmaLite has complete uppers available on their website. Parts should also be available if you want to build some thing unique. HTH
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First off, Nice!

You have an Armalite AR-10B  lower. It takes the M-14 based magazine. You`ll need a "B" series upper receiver. ArmaLite has complete uppers available on their website. Parts should also be available if you want to build some thing unique. HTH
View Quote

Beat me to it.  Yeah, the magazine gave it away.  For some reason I thought I remembered my two B-models having a "B" in or near the AR10 stamp, but when I looked, obviously they didn't.  The B-models suck.  Before you waste any money on building that, why don't you just send it to me.  I'd even give you a few bucks just to ease the pain.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a good start. Also appears to have the NM 2-stage trigger installed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Magpul stock, Midwest industries handguard, Armalite upper.  Do it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
That has an A1 grip... that's pretty cool.  I've always preferred those to the A2 grip.  That lower probably came off one of their older top-charging models they made to resemble the original AR-10.  I would just get an upper of my choice from Armalite if it were me, and a stock setup from anywhere you want... just make sure it is .308 compatible.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
That white eagle stamp on the magwell means it left Armalite as a complete rifle.
It does have a 2 stage tactical or possibly national match trigger.
I've never seen that pistol grip with Armalite logo.

About $400, if you had to buy, sitting there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
HUGE thanks, gents - I knew I'd get the straight info on here....

It was a complete rifle, originally.  It was unfired and cannibalized for the upper and stock assembly to complete a customer build during the panic.  Customer was going to come back and buy the lower at some point, but the builder (SOT) said that was several books ago and he'd cut me a deal just to get it off his books.

Now that I know what I'm looking for (I was leaning towards B from my reading but wasn't quite sure) I'll start sourcing components.  I've wanted a .308 AR for years, but didn't even realize that "AR-10" was a whole separate ball of wax until this one fell in my lap.  Perfect excuse to branch out, lol.

Thanks again!  I'll post pics when I get her built...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top