Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2012 7:07:22 AM EDT
There seems to be limited availability of Kits and Uppers for the 6.5 Grendel. Not looking to break the bank, will use this occasionally for informal bench shooting, possibly for hunting. Both Model 1 Sales and J&T have 6.5 uppers and complete kits. I assume the Model 1 sales 6.5 sporter is 6.5 Grendel, I have an email out to them for confirmation. Any experience with either of these upper? I am in NY and prefer a target crown, don't need to deal with having a MB pinned and welded or threads cut off and barrel recrowned. Maybe it's time to build an upper? Any other options out there? I would like a 20" barrel.
Thanks, Ken

Got this back from Model1 Sales:

Thank you for your interest in our products.

The dies, load data and cartridge for the 6.5 sporter and the 6.5
Grendel are interchangeable.

Thank you,
Model 1 Sales
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There seems to be limited availability of Kits and Uppers for the 6.5 Grendel. Not looking to break the bank, will use this occasionally for informal bench shooting, possibly for hunting. Both Model 1 Sales and J&T have 6.5 uppers and complete kits. I assume the Model 1 sales 6.5 sporter is 6.5 Grendel, I have an email out to them for confirmation. Any experience with either of these upper? I am in NY and prefer a target crown, don't need to deal with having a MB pinned and welded or threads cut off and barrel recrowned. Maybe it's time to build an upper? Any other options out there? I would like a 20" barrel.
Thanks, Ken

Got this back from Model1 Sales:

Thank you for your interest in our products.

The dies, load data and cartridge for the 6.5 sporter and the 6.5
Grendel are interchangeable.

Thank you,
Model 1 Sales

Although the dies, load data, and cartridge are interchangeable, the chamber and bolt are not.

Model 1 uses the so called 7,62x39 bolt for their builds, so you can't swap parts between it and the SAAMI Grendel chamber.

J&T uses the actual Grendel chamber and appropriate bolt. Alexander Arms has entry level uppers as well.

Precision Firearms and Les Baer also use the appropriate bolts.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 10:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the recommendation to avoid the model1 sales 6.5 sporter and go with one of the others?
Thanks, Ken
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I always avoid model1sales.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The rifle would be mostly for informal target shooting. I would like to keep the option for hunting, is the bull barrel too heavy too lug around the woods? The NY AWB is always an issue so threaded barrels require a pinned and welded brake, the SS bull barrel leaves with target crown have no issue other then weight. Also the bul barrels come in 20, 22 and 24', any advantage other then a slight increase in velocity. I can only shoot 200 yds where I live anyway.

Thanks, Ken
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on your height/weight, the bull barrel can often be a suck stick to carry in the woods.  A fluted heavy barrel is much more pleasant, and a lightweight hunting profile barrel even more so.

J&T good-to-go.

Model 1 Sales, not so much

Templar also makes Grendel barrels with real Grendel bolts.   Templar Custom
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone explain the difference in bolts from M1 sales and JT. Just curious what AA did to make them different from a 7.62x39 bolt. A 6.5 is on my list for future builds.

AL
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can someone explain the difference in bolts from M1 sales and JT. Just curious what AA did to make them different from a 7.62x39 bolt. A 6.5 is on my list for future builds.

AL

M1 Sales uses a 7.62x39 bolt.

The Grendel bolt has a different geometry to it to handle the extractor location which is optimized for the Grendel case rim, which is thicker than a 7.62x39 rim.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 16" J & T that I really like, when I called they verified they had what I wanted in stock.  Sales rep said the order should arrive in 2 weeks or less which it did, a little over a week IIRC.  Mine came with a Phantom flash hider but other wise just like a rack grade 5.56 AR 15 such as Bushmaster, Stag, Spikes, CMMG or RRA.

I haven't shot mine past 150 yards but it is real accurate with factory 123 A-Max and most of my reloads.  For me and the amount of money I wanted to spend I'm very satisfied.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll second the J&T recommendation.  I have a 20" that has been very accurate and reliable.  I'm getting about MOA with the Wolf 120gr MPT.  I haven't had a chance to try it out with good ammo at over 100 yards yet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
So stay away from Model 1? I was about to pull the trigger and order from them a 6.5 sporter. What's the optimal barrel length and twist to achieve good accuracy to 1000? I'll be looking into JT....
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd skip the M1S and check out ARP's 264 offering. He should have the bbls in mid March but they will be 18" so if plan to shoot 1K, you will need a few more inches. You will defintley get your moneys worth though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out AR Performance .http://www.ar15performance.com/
They have barrels & bolts
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info guys. I am picking up a slightly used Rainier SS upper (2 boxes of ammo) from EE. I'll order some Wolf and Hornady ammo to see which works best.

Ken
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanx for the input guys. I haven't fully decided as I have found of other long range calibers worth looking into. The 6.5 creedmoor and the 260 Rem...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top