Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 1:00:59 PM EDT
Who makes aftermarket handguards for the RRA Lar-8?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind are you looking for ? free float , drop in or just the regular type?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Magpul MOE rifle length HG on my LR308-C. A tiny bit of trimming is required to get it to fit the larger delta ring but it looks and feels a ton better than the POS factory A2 HG.
Be warned; some FF HG's, although sized and threaded to fit the DPMS, are too short. Nobody has provided a satisfactory explanation for this but I had an unfortunate experience trying to get a JP handguard installed and it simply wasn't properly designed for the DPMS.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Free float.  Would like a Troy xtreme but doesn't look like they make one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a Magpul MOE rifle length HG on my LR308-C. A tiny bit of trimming is required to get it to fit the larger delta ring but it looks and feels a ton better than the POS factory A2 HG.
Be warned; some FF HG's, although sized and threaded to fit the DPMS, are too short. Nobody has provided a satisfactory explanation for this but I had an unfortunate experience trying to get a JP handguard installed and it simply wasn't properly designed for the DPMS.

The JP handguard for the DPMS isn't the proper one for the LAR-8, you need the Armalite version. It's the one I'm using:

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Daniel Defense makes one made for the Rock River, I think it is ARR3003 and if it can be found in stock it is between $350 and $400.  Rock River offers their own Free Float quad for $185.  I hear the Troy guard will fit with the stock barrel nut with a little work on the nut.  This is a huge deal to me too because I liked the Rock River but hate the stock hand guards and limited aftermarket support.  I would enjoy further input from others.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Rock River explains on their website that their Barrel nut thread is propitiatory.  Through emails to Rock River I also learned that their receivers are longer than most others.  This could explain the issues.  

How easily do the Armalite guards go on?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The JP hand guard was easy to install, a little unconventional in that there's an inner and outer nut.  The outer nut screws to the receiver, is loctited in place, and holds the free float tube.  The inner nut screws into the outer one and clamps the barrel. You need to take care in aligning them if you want the top rail to line up with the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The JP hand guard was easy to install, a little unconventional in that there's an inner and outer nut.  The outer nut screws to the receiver, is loctited in place, and holds the free float tube.  The inner nut screws into the outer one and clamps the barrel. You need to take care in aligning them if you want the top rail to line up with the receiver.

The Way I am understanding this is, The Armalite JP hand guards will fit the Rock River?  What about all the barrel nut issues?  Are you using the original Rock River barrel nut at all?  I am picturing the original barrel nut as the inner barrel nut, or maybe I am just confused.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Way I am understanding this is, The Armalite JP hand guards will fit the Rock River?  What about all the barrel nut issues?  Are you using the original Rock River barrel nut at all?  I am picturing the original barrel nut as the inner barrel nut, or maybe I am just confused.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The JP handguard for the DPMS isn't the proper one for the LAR-8, you need the Armalite version. It's the one I'm using:

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab121/rbtx/2011-06-19_14-57-14_782_2.jpg

Looks good!

Where did you get it? Link and/or part number?

Any special fitting or trimming needed to get it to fit?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm using the JPHG-1A (12.5") on a 16" barrel.  They also make a JPHG-5A (9.25") and JPHG-6A (15.5").  I bought it from Optics Planet.  The JP .308 handguards are only available in black so I used Magpul OD Green Duracoat to match the grip and stock.

The original barrel nut is not used as it is incompatible with the JP handguard.  It is a straight drop in but requires a bit of care if you want a top rail to line up with the receiver rail.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top