Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2011 7:53:03 PM EDT
I have a 7.62x39 sporter.  I would like to know if my lower will work with a 223 upper.  Also, will my bolt carrier and charging handle work?  If yes to all, then all I need to buy is a 223 upper and a 223 bolt to have one gun that can be quickly converted to shoot either round.  Anyone every done this?  even if possible are there any issues I need to be aware of?  Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a 7.62x39 sporter.  I would like to know if my lower will work with a 223 upper.  Also, will my bolt carrier and charging handle work?  If yes to all, then all I need to buy is a 223 upper and a 223 bolt to have one gun that can be quickly converted to shoot either round.  Anyone every done this?  even if possible are there any issues I need to be aware of?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes to all your questions or you can get just the barrel and bolt if you want to save money but switcing out won't be as quick.  Don't forget some mags.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet, thanks for the quick reply.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:45:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Bolts are not the same.

Just buy a complete .223/5.56 upper and magazine.

But the lower is the cheaper part.  For around $200 you can buy a stripped lower, lpk, and stock.  Then you have a  whole gun.  That's why they call it black rifle disease
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Does the term "complete upper" mean that it comes with the bolt, bolt carrier and charging handle?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does the term "complete upper" mean that it comes with the bolt, bolt carrier and charging handle?

Many times a "complete" does not include the carry handle/rear sight.

But any upper described as complete should have a bcg.

Best to compact whoever you are buying from and ask.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO, I had the Dpms Sportical in 5.56 and regretted not forking over the extra $250 and getting the 2009 rifle of the year (Sportical in 7.62.) You have a nice set up. I sold my 556 sportical to build a pistol, and bought an R25 to fill my 308 void. The sportical 556 was a nice weapon, but  the 556 doesn't do it for me like the 308/7.62 does. my next 556 will be the Dpms Artic Panther. The question isnt 'can u do it?" it should be "should you do it?" for what you will have in the transfer would buy you it's baby brother complete for around 6 to 7. Good luck. For each his own

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff.  i appreciate the help.  I'm also going to put some money into the lower...a match trigger.  Then I will have two options off of the same lower, the current 7.62 which is a non-flat-top with a simple low end 4X optic on the top of the carry handle...kind of a shorter-range target/deer rifle, and the new project, the 223, bull barrel, varmit, with a flattop, high end 3x9 or 4x12 optic for longer range target and maybe even an angled EO-tech on the fore-arm...kind of a 3-gun match gun.  Both will have the benefit of the one match trigger on the common lower.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top