Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 6:06:58 PM EDT
I pulled my last $79 Spikes SL15 Striped Lower out of the Safe and decided to build a Big Bore AR and I have decided to go with the 458 SOCOM because it allows me a greater variety of  Reloads to work with. I know RRA builds complete uppers but I thought about building It the way I want it set up, RRA does not sale parts for the 458 SOCOM its either the a complete upper or a complete rifle.

The problem is finding all the parts I need, I have found a MGI 16.5" SS barrel and bolt but the barrel is threaded for a 11/16 x 24 TPI  Flash Suppressor and I have been trying to find a A2 style equivalent but I have come up empty. I am looking for options from any one who has built one up from scratch. I contacted Steve at ADCO to see if it was possible to turn the barrel down to 5/8 x 24 for a open up .308 FS but he said that was a no go because it would thin the barrel out to munch for a 458 bore.

I am looking for any suggestion  or part source

Thanks
Richard
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I pulled my last $79 Spikes SL15 Striped Lower out of the Safe and decided to build a Big Bore AR and I have decided to go with the 458 SOCOM because it allows me a greater variety of  Reloads to work with. I know RRA builds complete uppers but I thought about building It the way I want it set up, RRA does not sale parts for the 458 SOCOM its either the a complete upper or a complete rifle.

The problem is finding all the parts I need, I have found a MGI 16.5" SS barrel and bolt but the barrel is threaded for a 11/16 x 24 TPI  Flash Suppressor and I have been trying to find a A2 style equivalent but I have come up empty. I am looking for options from any one who has built one up from scratch. I contacted Steve at ADCO to see if it was possible to turn the barrel down to 5/8 x 24 for a open up .308 FS but he said that was a no go because it would thin the barrel out to munch for a 458 bore.

I am looking for any suggestion  or part source

Thanks
Richard
Semper Fi

Trust me, 5/8 x 24 works just fine... you might consider x 32 as there a few more options out there.  Plus you can take various other muzzle devices and modify them - I can get one of the RRA A2 FH with the x 32 thread for you
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#2]
All 3 of my .458 SOCOMs (and a 4th in the works) wear a 5/8 x 24 thread and use opened up YHM Phantom .308 FS.  There is plenty of meat there so don't worry about that.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#3]
http://usera.ImageCave.com/Spook/58458.jpg

Barrel stub from 10 twist SOCOM rifle I just built . 5/8 X 24 threads shown. Plenty of steel left.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top