Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2009 11:14:40 AM EDT
New here with a S&W MP 15. Can some one point me in the right direction on bullet weight verse Barrel twist. Trying to decide which one works best in a 1/8 twist. A 55 grain or 70 grain bullet. I have searched the forum and can not find the info. I believe a smaller grain tumbles more  but I am not sure. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
62 thru 70
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
New here with a S&W MP 15. Can some one point me in the right direction on bullet weight verse Barrel twist. Trying to decide which one works best in a 1/8 twist. A 55 grain or 70 grain bullet. I have searched the forum and can not find the info. I believe a smaller grain tumbles more  but I am not sure. Thanks

1/8 will get you 77 grain bullets no problem... it's the length of the round and velocity  not the weight that determines twist..
1/7 twist was called for to stabalize traces. and is overkill for many match rounds.
If your Smith is the one with a stainless barel it will outshoot many premium rigs I know where they get the barrels and they are high quality.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:... I believe a smaller grain tumbles more  but I am not sure.

The 55 gr will pretty much explode and fragment on impact with anything.  This is why its a bad choice for shooting through barriers and such.  The current rule of thumb is "heavier is better".

Further Reading on Ammo Choices

I myself like the 62gr Speer Gold Dot.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Right now have been stocking up on some hotshot and wolf 70 grain. I really appreciate you help. Still new here and try to listen to wisdom of the guys who know. Take care.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top