Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 6:05:10 PM EDT
Taking the Cardinal Armory 6.8 super bad@ss rifle out deer hunting on Saturday. Any advice on it since this will be the first outing with it? Where to target, and particular advice, etc.?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Sight it in and have fun.  I use a 6.8 as well.

If you shoot the deer in the vitals it will fall down just like any other cartridge.  If you don't hit them where you should, the deer will run off.  Just like any other cartridge.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Google "deer anatomy" and study the pictures. Memorize where the heart is in 3D.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope the OP doesn't mind if I jump into his thread.  
This is kind of related.

What is a good optic for 6.8 for hunting?  
Building up a hog gun right now with a Cardinal 16" lightweight barrel and looking for a good scope to put on it.
General recommendation for magnification range would be really helpful.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#5]
depends on your range, but i would think a 10x scope would be adequite

i had an aimpoint on mine for the longest time and hunted with it. the dot wasnt precise enough for me at longer ranges so i went to a super sniper.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Of course, the optics question will depend upon a few things:

1) At what range are you likely to encounter the game?

2) will you use the gun at night? If so, when hog hunting, will you be using NVD's?

3) How much can you afford to spend?

Here are some answers:

If you range is going to be 50-200 yards, then you should be fine with either Aimpoint, Eotech or similar unmagnified dot.  The less magnification, then generally speaking, the faster you can acquire the target.  Zeroing at 50 yards gives you a MPBR that covers from 0-200 without much holdover or under.

If you are only hunting deer, then you'll be shooting only during daylight hours.  For this purpose a Leupold, Zeiss Conquest or Swarovski scope of 4X, or perhaps 3-9 X will work great.

If your budget allows $2000 for a scope, then get the Zeiss or Swarovski.  If more like $500, then get the Leupold or Nikon.

As for bullets, the SPH or Nosler Accubond should work well.

The king of all 6.8 bullets right now, however, is the Barnes TTSX, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is a good optic for 6.8 for hunting?  

2-7 Leupold vari-xIII  

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies.  I'm thinking short to midrange, daylight only.
I estimate 400 yards max and probably usually inside 200.
So sounds like magnification somewhere in the range of 1-10x is suitable, with 3-9 the sweet spot.

From a little reading I like the Barnes 110 TSX as well.

Can't wait to finish this thing and get out  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
My personal choice is a 130 nosler accubond loaded in SSA brass with benchmark powder. my barrel keeps them under a moa and they hit like a sledgehammer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I've also got the Cardinal 16" lightweight on mine. Love it. I threw the Nikon Monarch 6-9X on mine. Fairly impressed with it actually. I've got the DMS-1 on the 458 so it should be interesting to see how well it holds up.

Pics of 6.8.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Of course, the optics question will depend upon a few things:

1) At what range are you likely to encounter the game?

2) will you use the gun at night? If so, when hog hunting, will you be using NVD's?

3) How much can you afford to spend?

Here are some answers:

If you range is going to be 50-200 yards, then you should be fine with either Aimpoint, Eotech or similar unmagnified dot.  The less magnification, then generally speaking, the faster you can acquire the target.  Zeroing at 50 yards gives you a MPBR that covers from 0-200 without much holdover or under.

If you are only hunting deer, then you'll be shooting only during daylight hours.  For this purpose a Leupold, Zeiss Conquest or Swarovski scope of 4X, or perhaps 3-9 X will work great.

If your budget allows $2000 for a scope, then get the Zeiss or Swarovski.  If more like $500, then get the Leupold or Nikon.

As for bullets, the SPH or Nosler Accubond should work well.

The king of all 6.8 bullets right now, however, is the Barnes TTSX, IMO.

Bingo!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Taking the Cardinal Armory 6.8 super bad@ss rifle out deer hunting on Saturday. Any advice on it since this will be the first outing with it? Where to target, and particular advice, etc.?

Have you not been deer hunting before?  The aim point on a white tail is the heart and lungs. from straight on the side you can't hit the heart without damaging front leg meat.  But no worry.  I shoot right behind the front leg, I guess about 1/3 of the way up.  This will break apart both lungs but a deer will run like you missed completely with a shot like this. However it won't go more then 100 yards before it drops.  I don't like the shoulder shot. It makes a mess of too much meat.  Also, it takes away some of the thrill of watching it after the shot with the anxiety of "did I really hit him?"  plus to me I think it is kinda gross to watch them struggle with a broken shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you not been deer hunting before?  The aim point on a white tail is the heart and lungs. from straight on the side you can't hit the heart without damaging front leg meat.  But no worry.  I shoot right behind the front leg, I guess about 1/3 of the way up.  This will break apart both lungs but a deer will run like you missed completely with a shot like this. However it won't go more then 100 yards before it drops.  I don't like the shoulder shot. It makes a mess of too much meat.  Also, it takes away some of the thrill of watching it after the shot with the anxiety of "did I really hit him?"  plus to me I think it is kinda gross to watch them struggle with a broken shoulder.

I think I volunteered that up front but concede it may not have been clear. Thanks for the advice. Are there any laws around tracking a deer that may run to someone else's property I need to know?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#14]
i is always a good idea to try and contact the property owner before going on thier land,
if you can see the animal go get it, but otherwise i would seek their approval first, theyre not going to tell you no.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#15]
In my state the law gives a clear right to retrieve from another property but not with gun in hand.   My state dept of wildlife and parks has these laws spelled out clearly  in normal talk on their website.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top