Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2006 1:34:33 PM EDT
I have seen one in magazine that looks like you could use a screw driver to turn it?

Please email If you know? and post

[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
JP Ent.
This uses an Allen wrench instead of a screw driver but they are very good units.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
i use a jp.  theres a brand new one; dont remember where i saw it, adjustable from the front.  possibly ar15barrels.  someone also makes an adj gas tube.  you could also make one yourself and put in any kind of set screw you wanted.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
MGI MIlitary makes the MGI Regulated Gas Tube for AR-15 / M16 / M4

I have also read about people making their own adjustable gas systems by drilling the rest of the way through the gas tube hole in the front sight base and tapping the front to accept a set screw.  After that, IIRC, you experiment with different size bleed holes in set screws threaded into the FSB.  I don't recall where I read it.  Not my style.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
MGI MIlitary makes the MGI Regulated Gas Tube for AR-15 / M16 / M4

I have also read about people making their own adjustable gas systems by drilling the rest of the way through the gas tube hole in the front sight base and tapping the front to accept a set screw.  After that, IIRC, you experiment with different size bleed holes in set screws threaded into the FSB.  I don't recall where I read it.  Not my style.

you shouldnt need bleed holes in the set screw.  its position alone will allow more/less gas.  id do it through the side not the front though, through the roll pin sounds bad.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC the set-screw method wasn't using the position of the set-screw to regulate gas pressure.  The system didn't use the set-screw to partially block the gas hole to adjust the regulate the amount of gas admitted to the gad tube.

Instead, the set-screw method I recall reading about used a set-screw with a hole to bleed off excess gas pressure (probably in a carbine).  By changing the size of the hole through the set-screw, you can regulate the amount of gas bled-off from the system.  

I have also seen a photo of a gas tube that was tapped for a set screw with a hole drilled in it.  Both approaches seem mickey-mouse to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I would love to find one you could turn to different bleed offs for with and with out suppressor use.

David
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/SuperSASS.htm

http://gunblast.com/images/SHOT2006/Day2/DSC07949.jpg

Here is the one, looks like ARMALITE.

David
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks nice.  Is it sold separately?  Will it fit/work on standard AR15 barrels?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Looks nice.  Is it sold separately?  Will it fit/work on standard AR15 barrels?

Sold seperately - hadn't heard

Will it fit standard AR15 barrels - doubt it, meant for use on AR10 barrels which have a different gas block ID.  A custom AR15 barrel would be needed ... or a modified one at least.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:35:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Two ways to adjust the net gas flow to the carrier, restriction or bleed.
Restrictive adjustment is by-far the most common.
Usually, by a setscrew that narrows down the size of the gas path.
A bleed system works by bleeding off excess gas.
Robinson M96 works this way.

JP is the most popular adjustable block for the AR.
I make a 0.625" low profile lightweight block that will fit under LaRue or DD handguards and allow an adjustment out the front.
In a 0.750" or larger gas block, there is not room to do it this way.

Someone also mentioned the MGI adjustable gas tubes.
MGI offers them in carbine or rifle length.
They basically add a small block to the gas tube and add a setscrew that will restrict gas flow.

MGI has sold me the adjuster blocks and valve screws so that I can custom install them on any length gas tube.
For instance, if you want a mid-length adjustable gas tube, you can't buy that anywhere else.
Another example is if you want the adjuster block placed pointing out through an existing hole in your handguards, or maybe to one side.
This would require the block to be custom installed to fit your specific application.

I need to get you to make me a pistol length tube like this for my .338 SPECTRE w/ Larue rail system.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top