Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2006 9:24:05 AM EDT
I've been planning on buying a .308 FAL Sporter from CenterFireSystems, but there remains some nagging questions about why I didn't consider the AR-10.

So I figured what better place to seek advise.

I find it very hard to justify spending >$1,000 for a rifle (or any weapon for that matter) but I do like my AR-15 Bushy so much that I want one in .308.

Given the price difference of about $500-$800 between the FAL and the AR-10, what am I looking at for choices?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
CTF - If it is a matter of cost - what about a CETME?

I hear you - and so does everyone else, between mags, mounts, otptics - it is going to be a chunk of change.

That old saying - Buy Once, Cry Once - I have been through several platforms.

It all gets back to what you want and what you want in the future.

There is nothing wrong with a CETME or an FAL but they are limited - esp in the area of accuracy (although I am sure someone will post about this one time at band camp that thier [insert manufacturer here] shot a 10 shot 1/4 MOA string at 1k using some screwed up Indian surp).

I had a NICE FAL - it was half MOM(an) at 700 yrds. I have never owned a CETME. I now have a calico Eagle and a DPMS. Calico is more like 1/2 MOA. The RRA due out in late summer looks promising.

Do your homework, think about what you really want, save your pennies, shop hard, and get what you really want the first time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on what the purpose of the rifle is and what your budget might be...

Ofcourse with RRA entering the picture ring the cost of 308's down and the cost/availability of FAL's on the rise...cost isn't so much an issue...I remember a few years ago purchasing my first FAL for $370 and mags for $3 each...still have it and have never had a single problem with it.

I wanted a 308 for blasting and defensive needs to about 100 yards so the FAL was great...especially considering the cost of an armalite.

Now that I'm attached to the modular platform and versatility of the AR and that I want to use my 308 at longer ranges I really want a RRA 308.

If you want to start out as cheap as possible and just have fun maybe go with that FAL...I would think you will always be able to get your money out of it should you decide to sell it. But If you want multi purpose, accuracy or aren't even quite sure yet then go with the AR10. I think you will grow out of the FAL and want the AR10 eventually so if you can I'd start there.

I have 2 FAL's but really want the RRA .308

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]

but really want the RRA .308

That would still be vapor ware at this point.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Dohh...I don't know where RRA was coming from...I was thinking DPMS but typinig RRA...I need to get more sleep...I'm interested in the DPMS carbine...does RRA even make a 308?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dohh...I don't know where RRA was coming from...I was thinking DPMS but typinig RRA...I need to get more sleep...I'm interested in the DPMS carbine...does RRA even make a 308?

In the works. They seems to have taken back their project from Bushmaster and dealing with some serious issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top