Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 1:07:09 PM EDT
I am compiling load data for the .458 SOCOM and particularly using Lil Gun to help someone reduce "time to market".  So if you have any loads you are willing to share, please do so, and I will forward them so that another source of factory ammo may become available.

Thanks!
Marty
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Marty, I have a couple of loads I use for hunting. 350gr RN soft point in front of 30g Lil gun. I dont know if it is a max load, never pushed it up any. But I love it for hogs!  + you cant go wrong with the 300gr HP in front of 34gr Lil gun. I use CCI 350 LP magnum on both. Enjoy, Ron
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like this info, too.  It's a bummer that LilGun isn't in QuickLoad...

Ronald, do you have any idea how fast those loads are moving???  Thx!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry dude. I havent clocked these. I will be doing alot of testing soon & I will clock all my loads for lilgun, including my 50AE, 440corbon & a couple little "projects" I am working on Later, Ron
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Marty

I really hesitate to offer this, but I have a great load using 350g Barnes bullets.  In fact it's the only accurate load I've found with that particular bullet in my 458's.  

The reason I hesitate to offer it is because it's a "duplex" load.  That is, it's made with a mixture of LilGun and WW296.  I know this sounds weird, but I did some experimenting a while back with a 44 Auto Mag (on a Contender) and it turned out to be a great combination in that caliber, both in the contender and the regular TDE Auto mag.  Because it worked so well for the Auto Mag, I tried a similar (but scaled) load for the 458.  The only bullet it offerred improvement to was the 350 Barnes.  

I'll give you the load if you want, but it does require careful mixing as well as stuffing the case with filler to ensure the mixture does not change due to movement and/or temperature.

Let me know if you are interested.

Lee

PS.  The 458 you put the brake on for me got a one shot kill of a 6-pointer this season.  About 80 yards, quartering toward me, hit low in the left shoulder and he never took a step.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Lee -

The duplex load sounds interesting but this load data is for commercial loading so not an option for them.   Only thing is if they have a powder that would mimic load density and burn rate of your mix ... btw, you are a braver man than I, developing your own duplex loads.

Marty
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top