Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 9:31:44 PM EDT
We are happy (and proud) to announce that factory loaded .338 Spectre ammunition is now available from Reed's Ammunition and Research (www.reedsammo.com)  Ron has developed a number of loads using our 12.5/4.5 T&E upper that cycle the shorter barrel/gas system without an issue.  Loads range from 160 gr up to 300 gr subsonics and Ron reports excellent accuracy and energy retention.

Having read an article casting doubt on the .300 Whisper's ability to tumble with subsonic loads, Ron did ballistic gel tests that unequivocally put the debate to rest.  With the 250 gr loads, tumbling occurred after as little as 6 - 8" of penetration and the projectile penetrated a full 24" before lodging against the back stop.  All this with SUBSONIC velocity.

I do not have pictures of the 300 gr load tests but Ron reported that they started tumbling IMMEDIATELY upon striking the target.

The "sales pitch" and pictures follow below

The cartridge has a wide array of applications Including small to medium game hunting, match target, and suppressed sniper shooting.

In November of  2005 Reed's Ammunition & Research got together with Mr. ter Weeme to expand the load data and look at commercial production of the ammunition.

After a bit of R&D we found that there are several powders that work very well, consisting of the slower magnum pistol powders and fast burning rifle powders. With it's ability to launch a wide array of bullet weights combined with it almost non-existent recoil and extreme accuracy, the .338 Spectre offers something for everyone.

Ballistic performance is comparable to the .357 Herrett, .35 Remington or even the 180-grain load for the .44 Magnum.  In the 16" barrel carbine, the .338 Spectre will launch the 180-grain BT at 1,800 ft./sec., approaching 1,300 ft-lbs. of energy. By loading the 300-grain Sierra HPBT MatchKing bullet at subsonic velocities (1,040 ft/sec.) for suppressed applications, the muzzle energy measures 720 ft-lbs., surpassing both the high velocity 115-grain load for the 9mm Parabellum as well as the 240-grain .300 Whisper ® load.

For the sportsman, the .338 Spectre offers a user-friendly cartridge in terms of brass forming and reloading, with light recoil and excellent performance on small to medium size game.

For the law enforcement professional, it offers solid terminal ballistics from one of the most-widely used weapons platforms with minor modification. The wide range of available projectiles should appeal to both the recreational shooter as well as the professional. Reloading dies for the .338 Spectre can be obtained from CH Tool and Die (www.CH4D.com).

Loaded ammunition is available through Reed’s Ammunition & Research.(www.reedsammo.com)

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me be the first to say....

SWEET!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there any way to see pics of the subsonic test results with the Whisper and Spectre ammo?  I've got an urge for a close range suppressed subsonic ammo hunting rifle.  I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure that it would have sufficient terminal ballistics to humanely kill a whitetail deer before I decide on either cartridge though.  I also would like to have a sweet suppressed high capacity SBR that can knock the socks off of a 9mm suppressed gun just for grins.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is there any way to see pics of the subsonic test results with the Whisper and Spectre ammo?  I've got an urge for a close range suppressed subsonic ammo hunting rifle.  I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure that it would have sufficient terminal ballistics to humanely kill a whitetail deer before I decide on either cartridge though.  I also would like to have a sweet suppressed high capacity SBR that can knock the socks off of a 9mm suppressed gun just for grins.

Not sure what test results you want to see?  I will ask Ron if he can get pictures of the gel after impact with the projectile path visible.  As stated, the bullets penetrated the full 24" ...

One of our customers will be conducting "live tissue" testing in early January to see the effectiveness against large feral hog.  IIRC several folks have commented on the .300 Whisper subsonic doing a perfectly acceptable job at taking the size animal you mentioned.  As soon as I have results from the tests I will add them to this thread.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#4]
THREE CHEERS FOR MARTY

HIP HIP.........
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Update from Ron from testing done today

Had good luck today doing some testing, finally got the 200 and 225g Hornady's to expand reliably.  Expansion was pseudo-typical mushroom ranging from .55 to .45 depending on velocity.  Testing today consisted of mainly 225g Hdy Sp and 200g Hdy SP, a few 250smk and 300smk and the 160g Barnes X bullets. Saw some great velocity figures with the 160's, AV of 1712 for 25 shot profiles, not too shabby for a 10"er. Unfortunately they are not made to expand at that velocity, and pretty much look that way. The best one of them all went out at 1735fps ended up just opening the tip where you could see that it was forming petals real well with a .330" spread. Almost caliber, but not quite.

Knowing that, thought, hopefully I can get Hawk Bullets to draw up some jackets in that range that are consistent and make some nice hunting loads for the general public. The 250 and 300g SMK's both beat the hell out of the gel.  Ever seen a 15# block jump out of it's holder? It's a little nerve racking.  As we both figured they tumble, and tumble, and did I mention they rotate a little? the 300 was the best beginning somewhere around 3-5 inches (a little hard to tell with goo everywhere) and proceeded to make 2-3 full 360's ending (almost 100% of the time) base first. The 250's usually went in strait until 7-8 inches and make 1-2 revolutions before ending up where they stop. Some at 180, some at 70, some at 0, well you get the point. No real rhyme or reason, just however the momentum took them. I did have a few that just went straight in, but the secondary cavity looked about like 1-1.5". Not bad, not great. I was able to get the 300's up to about 1330FPS but then again that's not the point of that bullet. Just handy info to have if someone request's it.

Not much else to report, the GC cast's are on the way, the .025" jacketed from Hawk will be next year, humm-dee-dum.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Recovered projectiles

Trust this answers most any question out there regarding lethality?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The .338 Spectre ammunition is now available for sale on our website. The site is still under re-constructon so please excuse the mess. We'll have results for the longer barrel test shortly for those of you with them.

Reed's Ammunition & Research
WWW.REEDSAMMO.COM
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
How many .338 Spectre uppers/guns are in circulation?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How many .338 Spectre uppers/guns are in circulation?

One in DFW
Two in LA
One here for T&E
One my personal
One more in DFW

Those are the ones I can think of
About 10 or so I guess
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
1+2+1+1+1 = 10

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to hijack, but how long before you guys at Reeds start selling 500 Phantom ammo, I'm going to need some after the GB
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
lets focuse on the important aspect of this shall we.

An available 300gr sledghammer of a round that dosn't take up as much space in your magazine as the 458 socom.
More BANG for your Buck!
I'm amazed that only 10 rifles where made. You have GOT to advertise more!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
1+2+1+1+1 = 10

Well, I realized when I started adding them up that there were more like
2 in DFW
2 in LA state
1 in LA (CA)
1 with Reed for T&E
1 in IN for T&E
1 still here
1 on an AK
1 on Sav 110

So 2+2+6x1 = 10 ....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Once Marty gets more brass in and is able to get us a T&E weapon we'll get the R&D done and get it online. Timeframe and cost are up in the air right now. As much as I enjoyed the .338 Spectre project I'm anxious to do the .500 Phantom.
On the .338 Spectre side of things all that is left is getting the think jacketed hunting bullets in and doing the ballistic gel testing on them and i think it will be complete. Then again Marty has some very nice ideas for additions in bullet selection. I won't let the cat out of the bag, but needless to say if all gose well the only response will be sweet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure where you are located, but I have the prototype AR-15 version - would be glad to work something out with Marty and you on using it for T&E.  Have a LR-308 DPMS conversion that is being shown at shot show that could possibly used - it is my business partners and has not been fired yet - just refinished.  But this AR-version shoots all the same stuff and is a dream to shoot at that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Ron Reed has been a busy guy with our 338 Spectre and has tested several new loads that will be available as factory loaded ammunition.

Those that are noteworthy are the 180 gr Hawk SP that clocked about 1500FPS out of the 12.5" barrel.  They passed through 16" of gel, 1/4" plywood, and lodged into the sand trap. Expansion was ALMOST A FRIGGIN' INCH!!!!!

He tested some 200 and 250 gr Hawks that penetrated 16" gel, 1/4" plywood AND a 2 x 4 to then lodge in the sand.  Expansion was not quite what we wanted and Ron is going to follow up with Hawk on these to resolve that.

Now, the two new developments we are looking at that have me a skiddish are the following:  1) we found a source of 350 gr (YES) rebated boat tail spitzers.  Just a hair longer than the 300 SMK, we need to see how they do (we might have to go to faster twist barrels yet) and 2) Ron will be looking at developing some custom bullets that feature a thin jacket and are filled with #12 shot, similar in design to the Glaser projectiles.  They would weigh around 250 gr (we estimate) and contain somewhere around 900 to 1000 (!) pieces of #12 shot .... making it the nastiest CQB round around ...

Stay tuned for updates ...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ron Reed has been a busy guy with our 338 Spectre and has tested several new loads that will be available as factory loaded ammunition.

Those that are noteworthy are the 180 gr Hawk SP that clocked about 1500FPS out of the 12.5" barrel.  They passed through 16" of gel, 1/4" plywood, and lodged into the sand trap. Expansion was ALMOST A FRIGGIN' INCH!!!!!

He tested some 200 and 250 gr Hawks that penetrated 16" gel, 1/4" plywood AND a 2 x 4 to then lodge in the sand.  Expansion was not quite what we wanted and Ron is going to follow up with Hawk on these to resolve that.

Now, the two new developments we are looking at that have me a skiddish are the following:  1) we found a source of 350 gr (YES) rebated boat tail spitzers.  Just a hair longer than the 300 SMK, we need to see how they do (we might have to go to faster twist barrels yet) and 2) Ron will be looking at developing some custom bullets that feature a thin jacket and are filled with #12 shot, similar in design to the Glaser projectiles.  They would weigh around 250 gr (we estimate) and contain somewhere around 900 to 1000 (!) pieces of #12 shot .... making it the nastiest CQB round around ...Is there any chance of something like this being procuced for the 458.  I would carry atleast one mag of these, they would be deivistating

Stay tuned for updates ...

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:47:06 AM EDT
[#18]
As for the 458, we'll just have to see. With the new ideas for the .338 Spectre and the beginning of the 500 Phantom project I will not have any time for looking at the .458 SOCOM until those both come to a close. We have also added the 200g and 260g lead GC to the line-up, I'll still be doing some longer distance testing of them as they are FN design and the BC is rather low, more than anything they are great for closer distance shooting (i.e. 100yds) Expansion was decent and weight retention was great. We have pictures of the GC lead 200's and 260's and the 180g Hawk's.  After we resolve the problems with the 200's and 250's we will add those to line-up as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Any updates,
I am just dieing to get my hands on the upper Marty at Teppo is building for me.
10 more Weeks, YEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee HAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 in UTah when my order gets here...338 spectre with an MGI QCB...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm waiting as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Not too much to report, we do have some limited velocity reports from the longer tube, and as best I can tell until the faster twist barrels get here the 350g loads are on hold. I'd like to see what the results will be from live animal tests as well for those who are more geared for the sporting aspects of it. I've had a few inquiries about using it as a supressed varmit rig; sounds like a good use to me
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#23]
live animal tests were cancelled, the shooter had more urgent things to attend to.  Going to see if we cannot arrange through other source, plenty of hogs here in TX...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#24]
send me an upper and i'll pick up a live chicken and plug that sucker
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not too much to report, we do have some limited velocity reports from the longer tube, and as best I can tell until the faster twist barrels get here the 350g loads are on hold. I'd like to see what the results will be from live animal tests as well for those who are more geared for the sporting aspects of it. I've had a few inquiries about using it as a supressed varmit rig; sounds like a good use to me

Supressed varmit rig is exactly the plan for mine. I'm hoping for 1000fps with 350gr loads out of a 11.5 -12.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#26]
From a short tube I don't expect more than 850-900FPS from the 350g bullets without going over pressure. Even in the slower twist, combine that with the faster twist and it make it all but a dream. I did talk to Marty about his thoughts on having some T/C barrels made, and likely you could push the pressure to obtain that velocity in a rig set-up like that. We'd just need to see enough interest and orders to have the barrels made.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:54:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I may have to stick with the 300gr slugs then. I plan on doing this in a AR platform. I also would like to keep barrel length to a maximum 12.5. ( I would much prefer 11.5)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, consider this as well, the 300g SMK is a heck of a lot less expensive and MUCH more available than the 350's. The 350 idea just happened to fall into my lap after a discussion with the bullet maker, my original call had been to obtain ready made jackets for the frangible loads and after about 1hr on the phone we had come to a vast amount of ideas and just general cool stuff. For general use though the 300g SMK will do excellent for varmints from an SBR, makes the 300Whisp look like a play toy. As a supressed rig, it will make an excellent varmint gun with so many hunting options it is insane. A perfect caliber for the hunter that may be intimdated by recoil or muzzle blast, available follow-up shots, wide range of bullet styles and weights, easy and inexpensive to re-load. It is a hard caliber to ignore.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#29]
It sounds like exactly what I'm after. I can't wait for Marty to get mine finished.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top