Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 12:16:50 AM EDT
It's been a while since I posted here, but I finally got my Beowulf built! It's on a DPMS lower, with an ACE skeleton stock, a MGI recoil reducing buffer, and my Eotech 552.A65 migrated over to it since it looked like it needed some kind of sights.  I'll post a pic to the picture thread as soon as I do one last thing, which is change out the handguards.   In retrospect I guess I should have ordered my upper with a free float tube, because that's what I'm looking at right now.  But I'm not sure if I'm up to screwing with the gas block, and I understand I'll have to do that to put a SIRS or maybe just a nice smooth aluminum tube on the rifle.  Is that true?  If so, what's a ballpark for how much a smith would charge me to install one?  At the Raleigh, NC gun show one vendor told me he'd put at tube on for free if I bought from him, but he apparently doesn't carry any midlength stuff (nor did anyone else at the Greensboro show this past weekend) so I'm thinking I may have to mail order one and then pay somebody competent to install it for me.

Because of these issues, I'm also considering just getting some 2-piece guards like the Armalite Alostyr that's mentioned in the Beowulf "sticky" thread, but the Armalite webpage only seems to list a rifle and carbine length version.  Would either of those fit my 16" midlength setup?  

Thanks in advance, and I promise pics as soon as the build is complete!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#1]
if you dont plan on freefloating or mounting optics on it then you have the option of the armalite,yhm(if they ever comeout) and the surefire(note that the top rail is not even with the upper)

freefloated you have the arms sir(which would probably be the easiest), samson and troy the later two being similar.

the samson/troy rails would require you to remove the delta ring assy. either by removing the barrel or cutting it off.

if you dont have the factory muzzle brake installed then removal/install of the gas block is very simple. mark it before removal in correlation of the barrel and then loosen the setscrews at the bottom.

when reinstalling just use a dab of loc-tite, line up your marks and re-sight since there is a chance your zero will be off.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top