Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2005 2:09:14 PM EDT
Sorry but I can't find this info anywhere...can the .50 Beowulf be loaded subsonic and still cycle?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I kinda doubt the Beowulf would run subsonic unless you had something like  850gr bullets on it or something.  The gas port is at the mid length position whereas the SOCOM uses the shorter CAR position for the port.  Also, with the larger 50 cal bore, you need even more gas than the smaller bore of the SOCOM.  Without changing the port position on the Beowulf and or going to some monster size bullet, I really doubt it would run.......but I have been wrong before.

Tony Rumore
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
i too was also thinking that it would be hard to get it to work
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Will the Beowulf allow use of the big 50BMG Amax bullets?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No...  the Beowulf is a true .50 caliber (like the .50 AE), unlike the .510 BMG.

- AG
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No...  the Beowulf is a true .50 caliber (like the .50 AE), unlike the .510 BMG.

- AG

but is this the only issue? It would be very easy to grind .010" off the OD. Or would the long profile cause a problem?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- AG

but is this the only issue? It would be very easy to grind .010" off the OD. Or would the long profile cause a problem?

Nope, the 647 gr "ball" bullet itself is as long as the 223 cartridge .... the profile is such (ogive) that you could not seat it deep enough to fit the mag.  HAWK can make some heavy RN .500 bullets that could work and I do seem to recall there being some subsonic rounds out there but not very commom.  This was the reason I went to .458 caliber as the 500 and 600 gr bullets are common for that size ....
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top