Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 4:46:53 AM EDT
I ended up shooting a DPMS LR this weekend. The rifle belongs to a buddy though he is selling it and I will end up with it. The rifle is the 24" stainless barreled version, fairly recent production. It was topped with a Leupold 4.5-14X scope in Fulton Armory medium height rings. The factory trigger which he said broke at nearly 8 pounds was replaced with a Rock River two stage trigger. This gave a pull of 4 pounds.

The rifle was just fully broken in. The prescribed shoot one clean ritual had been followed. It had about 80 rounds through it. Ammo was Federal Gold Medal Match 168.

The range was dead calm, rare for us,  though there were little sprinkles of rain now and then. I fired ten rounds with one called flyer. I fired the group fairly quickly, the rifle was not given time to cool etc....I shot one and then settled the gun back into the bags, refined my sight picture and shot the next round. The group measures almost exactly an inch-flyer included!

This is nothing short of amazing. I had never pulled the trigger on this gun before I shot for group. The group is not three rounds, not five but 10! Without the flyer the group measures about 3/4" and the freaking gun isn't completely broke in yet! With handloads I might do better though GMM is pretty tough to outload.

All is not sweetness though. The bolt failed to close about three times-I dunno if it just needs more shooting to break in or if the gun has a gas/buffer/spring problem. It would extract and then it was sluggish to load the next round. I could hear the spring attempt to push the bolt into battery and it was just slow and not forceful. Ejection was great if weird-all cases were thrown about 4 feet to the rear at 4:00 or so and you could almost pick them up with one grab, a neat little pile.

I will be picking the rifle up next week. Buddy is selling it to purchase a Unertl scope for another precision rifle. I had been looking for one of these after seeing his a month ago and his saying how well it shot. Price will be $950 and that includes the Rings and Match trigger so I think I am doing pretty good. Can't wait to add this one to the safe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Right on , I love mine!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if I will be able to do better than the Gold Medal with handloads but I may try some other match ammo. Also, I wasn't really shooting for best group. I really think this rifle will shoot .75 without much trouble. What are you getting with yours and what are you shooting? I am looking at a load with H380 and 175 SMK's in Remington Match Brass.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered one with a jp trigger, and a railed forend, I just need to get a scope for it. I cant wait to get it after reading your post. I hope the feeding problem works its self out.

James
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I really am not too worried about the feed thing. I think it will work itself out. In a rifle with this accuracy I am willing to trouble shoot pretty extensively, not that I think it will go all that far. I have had match grade M1a's in the past and it took a WHOLE lot more money and tinkering to get them to shoot like this. This rifle is going to get hot, by that I mean demand will be hot and prices will escalate before too long. I really believe this, it's that dang good. I mean, it's $400 below it's closest competitor and will shoot as good as any of them. That's a recipe for success.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Your problem might be the plastic mag I see in your picture. DPMS has 20rnd Steel mags instock now and 10rnd metal on the way. Give them a call.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]
My gun has the steel mags, that's someone elses pictured. Again, I don't think it's too big a deal and I can get it fixed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow !!

That looks familar...

That price is a good deal, I have seen them selling for 940..plus tax of course, shipping FFL...
To bad you couldnt get him to throw the scope in also.

I got mine for 9 even with a Millette Gold series 4x16x56 seen in the pic.
I added a RRA two stage and man its so sweet and smooth you wouldnt think you were shooting a .308
I also added the ace stock for comfort.

As the other guy mentioned get some steel mags 20 rounders..specially while you can.
I found them here on the EE for 30 a piece, they list for 60 from DPMS.
If you do get mags they MUST be DPMS mags, the feed ramps are different for other manuf.

email me with any questions, I would certainly buy another one of these.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:40:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I got two steel mags with the gun and he also had two original Armalite AR10 Waffle mags that he threw in. The DPMS mags work fine the Armalites are a little tight in spots it seems-haven't shot it with them yet. Don't know how many mags I will get, if I get an AP4, then maybe quite a few, haven't decided yet. If I just have the LR I will probably only get 2-3 more and call it good. To me, it's kind of a special purpose rifle. I got my Super Sniper in and will get it mounted and out to the range again.

I went through my odd lots of .308 and came up with about 60 rounds of Hirtenberger, 40 of Lake City '85 etc....about 200 rounds of pretty decent ammo but not much of any one type. I am going to use that to continue to break in the rifle, hopefully the bolt will quit hanging up with some more rounds down range.

I replaced my pistol grip with a Hogue unit that I had laying around. I don't know that I will add alot more to the gun. The guy I bought it from had it really tricked out-he had a tactical charging handle, ambi bolt release, ambi mag release, lead weight in the buttstock etc....I didn't really want all that stuff and just took the rifle, match trigger and the rings. I need to get a Harris S type bipod for it and I'll be pretty much done with it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top