Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2005 12:40:42 PM EDT
Using a Lee mold (440 Grain GC'd and lubed to 460 grains) and equivelant Lyman #2 lead (15 BHN) , I just attained 1500 FPS with mild recoil and no visible leading (or fowling) in the barrel, gas tube, or behind the rings in the bolt.  

The load was 40 grains of Alliant #7 using a CCI 350 Primer.

I will work them up to 1600 FPS and if the results are the same (clean), I think I will have a fine "Cast your own" solution for my Beowulf.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:44:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is some Vihtavuori reloading data, which I have experimentaly made. 16" barrel.

Rainier 335 jhp n120 44 grain 54 mm 1730fps
Rainier 335 jhp n120 47 grain 54 mm 1800fps
Rainier 335 jhp n120 52 grain 54 mm 2019fps *
*(This one is quite hot, I don't recommed it)

Sierra 400 sportmaster n120 40 grain 54 mm 1540
Sierra 400 sportmaster n120 42 grain 54 mm 1627
Sierra 400 sportmaster n120 44 grain 54 mm 1701
Sierra 400 sportmaster n120 47 grain 54 mm 1885
Sierra 400 sportmaster n120 48 grain 54 mm 1925 **
* *(This one is quite hot, I don't recommed it, primer was stuck, and some overpressure marks on the bottom of the shell).
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember that the Beowulf is a 33,000 psi load when working up load data, so a safe load will not have any indication of pressure. except maybe a light ejector mark due to the load on the case head being slightly concentrated as the rim diameter is reduced is reduced.

I must admit I was a little skeptical about using a cast bullet in a gas gun but SplittingHairs has approached this with caution and his results look good. If you can also let us know what lube was employed this is important as it has an influence on how the bullet behaves in the bore and importantly if it will put lead into the gas tube. If I remember the rule of thumb about lead bullet obturation I guess that the 15BHN lead will work at pressures above 20,000 psi and I would also guess that the load you have is between 28,000 and 32,000 psi as the powder burn is clean (Re7 leaves residue below 25,000). The 1500 fps load you have would be an excellent set up for even big hogs. Shoot some wet newspaper to guage how it will penetrate before you chase higher velocities (and let us know!)

I am afraid I cannot be of much help with N120 loads yet as I still need to get this powder into the test breach, which is currently doing Viht loads for Grendel. The little I have done would suggest that the pressure runs up just a bit faster than Lil'Gun, but that the spikes you saw are typical. Viht powders are not too forgiving as the charges climb. The 47 grain load with the 335jhp might be the max. I cannot comment on the loads for the 400 bullet as I have no data. Again by the time you see classical pressure signs you can be up to 60,000 psi which is nearly twice the design load for the gun.

Bill Alexander
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#4]
    "I must admit I was a little skeptical about using a cast bullet in a gas gun but SplittingHairs has approached this with caution and his results look good. If you can also let us know what lube was employed this is important as it has an influence on how the bullet behaves in the bore and importantly if it will put lead into the gas tube."

Lee equipment and lube was used, that being Alox.  I also should mention that I sprayed all the bullets with Moly Disulfide.  

In discussing this with Mr. Alexander, his calculator showed that we should be able to approach 1700 fps.  I don't think I'll get that far; however, I do think another 50 to 100 fps is easily within reach, based on all the indications of the 1500 fps lot.  But hey, 1500 fps is wonderful for plinking and pig hunting, it's similar to the 500 S&W, without all the recoil associated with it.  AT 1500 fps it felt gooood.

-Ron
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#5]
"Using a Lee mold (440 Grain GC'd and lubed to 460 grains) and equivelant Lyman #2 lead (15 BHN) , I just attained 1500 FPS with mild recoil and no visible leading (or fowling) in the barrel, gas tube, or behind the rings in the bolt.

The load was 40 grains of Alliant #7 using a CCI 350 Primer.

I will work them up to 1600 FPS and if the results are the same (clean), I think I will have a fine "Cast your own" solution for my Beowulf."

CONTINUATION    

I finally got back out to the range after increasing the load to 41 Grains of #7  The Chrony averaged 1525 fps with evrything else being the same.  Again, there were no signs of leading.  With only 25 fps increase though, I don't think I'll go any further with stiffer loads.  I'll hold it right at 41 grains and consider it an excellent pig, deer, bear, and maybe this fall I'll try to bag an elk with it up in Oregon.  

Good luck wulf pack!!!!

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top