Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2005 7:54:46 AM EDT
I see that Olympic Arms carries uppers for .223, 243 and 25 WSSM.
So whats the deal, good? no good?  Anybody have any EXP?  I am thinking about getting any upper in .243 or 25.  But I want to hear some feedback from anybody out there with exp.

any other companies with WSSM calibers?

so pros, cons, range reports, problems....etc...

lets hear it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 243WSSM upper.  It is very accurate and reliable.  It is also quite a bargian since similar 223 uppers are as, or more expensive.   There is someone here on the board that is very knowledgable about the WSSM uppers.  I believe the name is DTECH.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the Oly website where they have a owners forum. You might get the info you need there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
OA2  The Olympic Arms Owners Association

OA2
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Feed and function has been great and accuracy has been beyond my expectations.  I have been very happy with the WSSM uppers.  I shot 3 northern whitetail with the WSSM this fall.  It performed just like you would expect out of a 25-06!   I shot two with the .25 WSSM and 1 with the 243 WSSM.  Being it's built on a semi-auto the recoil is quite mild.  The 120 grain factrory .25 WSSM go out of a 22" barrel at just a shade under 3000 FPS and groups with the factory loads have all been sub MOA.

Hand loading for the .25 has proven to be easier than the .243.  Like the .243 Winchester, the WSSM is quite accurate but somewhat fickle while developing a load.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks...I think Im gonna have to put it on the wish list and hope to have it before fall season.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Gnarly, let dtech build it for ya, he has exclusive rights from oly to build uppers in the wssm cals, HIS RIFLES ROCK! I got a 25 built by mike and its truly a gem!
RR
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
hey Dtech1
how much is a 22" upper in 25? and is there any news on on a 7mm or 30 cal wssm?
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#8]
DTECH an IM sent.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 1:38:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Gnarly, if you decide to have a wssm upper built by Dtech make sure you have him flute it also.  It'll really balance out the rifle and reduce a heck of a lot of wieght.   either way you won't be dissappointed with his work.  he does an awesome job.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I sent my order in today.  Fluting was on the list.

Now the waiting begins!

Link Posted: 6/29/2005 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#11]
won't be long think mike built mine in 9 days, you won't be sorry!
RR
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 2:39:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I sent my order in today.  Fluting was on the list.

Now the waiting begins!

if you sent the order by credit card/paypal or such you should be shooting it the second weekend in July.  just start bargin hunting for ammo in the meantime.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Well guys, that kind of time-frame is what I like to live by but right now I am waiting on both magnum bolts and upper receivers.  The "black gun fever" has all of the AR mfgs. going 24/7 on the day-to-day M4s and A2s, little time is put into the tiny market of the WSSM.

The barrels had always been the "weak link" as the barrels I use are the SUM and are a special order.  I have about $10,000.00 worth of SUM blanks in stock right now and can't finish a single WSSM until I get the rest of the parts.  Such is life!
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well guys, that kind of time-frame is what I like to live by but right now I am waiting on both magnum bolts and upper receivers.  The "black gun fever" has all of the AR mfgs. going 24/7 on the day-to-day M4s and A2s, little time is put into the tiny market of the WSSM.

The barrels had always been the "weak link" as the barrels I use are the SUM and are a special order.  I have about $10,000.00 worth of SUM blanks in stock right now and can't finish a single WSSM until I get the rest of the parts.  Such is life!

well then it's worth the wait....if Dtech has been out of stock with the wssm parts that means that he's doing SOMETHING RIGHT
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Well it is in and got fired this past weekend.  I did not get to shoot as many rounds as I wanted due to time constraint.  only around 25 rounds.  I am about 1 inch out of zero for 100yards.  I intend to get this cleared up this weekend.

I love the fluting.  I am glad I went with it.  DTECH did a wonderful job with the upper.

When I get it zeroed in and have a chance I will post a range report.

I think I am going to change my buttstock around some and add a Wolff extra power spring and perhaps change out the stock completely, perhaps an ACE stock.  

I will also try and get some pictures with the range report.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:38:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll post some target pics of my .25wssm as soon as I get a chance, but for now all I can say is that the bullets seemed to almost land one on top of another-and this is just from sandbags and very little tinkering with the load
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I've seen the 300 Olympic round. It's basically a 25 WSSM necked-up to .30 caliber. That's all I know, except they can make barrels but won't.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I talked with Oly the other day and they told me they were shooting the .300.   I have had barrel blanks on order for months and I expect them in the next month or so.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top