Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 6:49:38 PM EDT
Hopefully I'll have a DPMS .308 soon.
I see the magazine issues and read great things about the accuracy of this manufacture's rifle.
From my reading here, the Stoner 25 mags work with the DPMS, Armalites waffle mags work with thier steel mags hit and miss and DPMS will have new steel mags available soon. So I think I'm up to date on that.
In regards to parts, are all of the different companies "different"? Or can I take a Stoner- 25 bolt and put it in an Armalite carrier and use those parts with a DPMS lower? Or something like that?

Will 7.62 NATO fire safely out of these barrels or should one keep to Gold Match velocities and SAMMI specs.?
I know I won't have sub MOA with surplus, but would like to be able to shoot it without blowing anything up.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot S. African, Portuguese and Aussie surplus all the time.  No problems at all.  I asked the same question (I called DPMS) before I bought mine and was told no problem.   Strangely enough, I'm getting ALMOST as good accuracy out of the S. African as I do with the Federal 168 gr out to 100 yds...groups really open up around 200 though.

As far as upper receiver parts interchangability....I have no idea except for the AR15 adjustable gas tube I'm using--works fine.  DPMS is a helluvalot cheaper than KAC, so when I need to replace something, which hasn't happened yet, I'll go to DPMS.  Triggers, stocks, safeties, and such (I 'think' everything in the lower rec except the mag release and bolt catch) are all interchangeable with AR15.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Where has been the best/cheapest place that you have found your 168 grain Federal SBHP factory ammo?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been picking up a box or 2 at a time whenever/wherever I happen to find it. (and happen to have more money in my wallet than common sense in my head)  I think I paid about $32/box at Fayette Firearms here in Lexington the last time I bought any.  I don't shoot a lot of competitions--mostly just plinking in the backyard.  I only break out 'the good stuff' when I have company over to shoot and want to show off, so my rifles get mostly fed a diet of surplus.

I've found that the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 168 gr is quite a bit more accurate in my 16" than the Federal.  4 shots at 100 yds went into a hole that measures about 3/8" from outer edges.  (I have that target hanging in my office, sent a copy to DPMS and a copy to Olin...was hoping to score some free stuff!)   I'll post that one when I get to work on Mon.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top