Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 5:44:11 PM EDT
Hello,
i HAVE SPENT MANY HOURS ON THE COMPUTER AND THE INTERNET;SEARCHING FOR INFORMATION  ON THE .50 BEOWULF AND ACCIDENTLY CAME ACCROSSED THIS SITE.
WHOA IS ALL I CAN SAY,
A LOT OF YOU FOLKS ARE JUST OUTRIGHT SOMETHING ELSE; EACH AND EVERY QUESTION I HAD IN REFERANCE TO THE .50 BEOWULF HAS BEEN ANSWERED,THAT AND AS ALWAYS EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION AND IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL CHOICE AND $$$$$--
REALLY ENJOYED ALL THE RACEY WEAPONS IN THE PHOTOS ;(MILITARY BUFF ON WEAPONRY)
tHIS WHOLE THING STARTED WHEN I TRIED TO PURCHASE A BENNELLI SHOTGUN AND GOT A RUNAROUND OVER HOW I WANTED IT SET UP//BY BY SPEND MY $$$ ELSEWARE.
ALSO YA JUST CANT BEAT A .50 SLUG IN THES SOUTH EAST ALASKA JUNGLES (RAINFOREST)--LOTS OF BIIIIG BROWN BEARS NO REAL PROBLEM I HAD TO SHOOT MY FIRST ONE AT 15 FEET W A BUCK AT MY FEET AND NO WHERE TO GO,AND A PANICKING DAUGHTER BEHIND ME W A .223/--I PERSONALLY USE A .300 BAR/.12 GA SHOTGUN.
I AM JUST FLAT INTRIGED WITH THE IDEA OF AN AR W/ A .50 HA HA HA ...
GONNA HAVE TO PLAN TO PIECE TOGETHER ONE LIMITED FUNDAGE DAUGHTER IN COLLEGE AND DADS PRETTY BROKE WHA WHA !!
   AKWILDMAN
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hello,
i HAVE SPENT MANY HOURS ON THE COMPUTER AND THE INTERNET;SEARCHING FOR INFORMATION  ON THE .50 BEOWULF AND ACCIDENTLY CAME ACCROSSED THIS SITE.
WHOA IS ALL I CAN SAY,
A LOT OF YOU FOLKS ARE JUST OUTRIGHT SOMETHING ELSE; EACH AND EVERY QUESTION I HAD IN REFERANCE TO THE .50 BEOWULF HAS BEEN ANSWERED,THAT AND AS ALWAYS EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION AND IT REALLY COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL CHOICE AND $$$$$--
REALLY ENJOYED ALL THE RACEY WEAPONS IN THE PHOTOS ;(MILITARY BUFF ON WEAPONRY)
tHIS WHOLE THING STARTED WHEN I TRIED TO PURCHASE A BENNELLI SHOTGUN AND GOT A RUNAROUND OVER HOW I WANTED IT SET UP//BY BY SPEND MY $$$ ELSEWARE.
ALSO YA JUST CANT BEAT A .50 SLUG IN THES SOUTH EAST ALASKA JUNGLES (RAINFOREST)--LOTS OF BIIIIG BROWN BEARS NO REAL PROBLEM I HAD TO SHOOT MY FIRST ONE AT 15 FEET W A BUCK AT MY FEET AND NO WHERE TO GO,AND A PANICKING DAUGHTER BEHIND ME W A .223/--I PERSONALLY USE A .300 BAR/.12 GA SHOTGUN.
I AM JUST FLAT INTRIGED WITH THE IDEA OF AN AR W/ A .50 HA HA HA ...
GONNA HAVE TO PLAN TO PIECE TOGETHER ONE LIMITED FUNDAGE DAUGHTER IN COLLEGE AND DADS PRETTY BROKE WHA WHA !!
   AKWILDMAN

Well I'm want to be the first to Welcome you!...also I dont care but some might tell you that when you use caps its like your yelling.  But if thats what you need then go for it big fella!  Yes your right, if their is any info you need on the beowulf you can find it here.  Or just ask and someone will try and help you out.

Bigant
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if their is any info you need on the beowulf you can find it here.  Or just ask and someone will try and help you out.

Bigant

Yep, ask away man. Be glad to help if I can.
w50g
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
that is interesting i thought it was small letters ,have my glasses on now. hm i dont see big letter;and im slow at this stuff .
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Wildman,

Don't worry, no problem.  Yes, the Beowulf is literally and figuratively a BLAST!!!  I had the pleasure of making my first trip to AK this summer, and WOW!!  It won't be my last.   Awesome.

Didn't get a chance to see any brown bears, but lots of whales and other wildlife.

I'll toss a question out there though, what factory load would you choose for the bears?  The 400gr solids?  I read a post where someone took a water buffalo with (I think) the 334 gr solids, single shot to the head.  I would think it would be hard to improve on this weapon for dangerous game in a semi-auto.  

WELCOME

Doc
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IN THES SOUTH EAST ALASKA JUNGLES (RAINFOREST)--LOTS OF BIIIIG BROWN BEARS NO REAL PROBLEM I HAD TO SHOOT MY FIRST ONE AT 15 FEET W A BUCK AT MY FEET AND NO WHERE TO GO,AND A PANICKING DAUGHTER BEHIND ME W A .223/--I PERSONALLY USE A .300 BAR/.12 GA SHOTGUN.

Welcomehe, unless packing Thumperina). Enjoy the site, it's a hoot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
anything over 200grn will do the job as w/ak brown bears crippling shot is preferred and then a kill shot or 2/ absolutly no head shots---m1abrams tank are designed similar to their skull//bullets deflect.
shoulder or heart lung shots are best but be aware they get real mean when wounded so ya need some space.
(nosler partition or 400gn pointed soft point,slow heart rate and adrenallin)
  i enjoy watching bears and only hunt sitka black tail deer,but when in brown bear country in alaska you had better be prepared for anything then of course wr also have mr. murphey!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Oops, sorry.  Over read the 'NO REAL PROBLEM I HAD TO SHOOT MY FIRST ONE AT 15 FEET ' part.  Got to write the 'no head shots on big bears'  part down, just in case.  Sounds like backcountry Alaska is still the survival of the fittest.  Sounds like 10 rounds of .50 Beowulf could be a good thing up there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
ok here is the story
Ericka and i went out to admiralty island to go deer hunting,location was dotties cove south of juneau west of grand island. while sitting in the stabicraft discussing if we are going to hike in deep or just go for a lazy hike andleave at high tide.
we decided to goahead and leave the heavy packs and just explore with the minamal of gear; basicly a rifle and pocket knife. as we head out about 1/4 mile we stop and just sit around to listen to the woods and ericka of course had to have a ciggarette , after 15/20 min we prepped up and headed in through the woods it was thick and mid nov rain was gone, in fact a very nice day just could not see the sky blue yes you guessed it cloudy. as we  walked around i continued to see large volumes of bear sign (brown bears) at about 1 1/2 hours i suggested to ericka that maybe we should head into the direction of the river, it has 30-40 yard on either side of some very nice grass and feed for the critters,and well just hang out and watch the area and well be out of the thick brush.
After about 40min we arrived  at the rivers edge and it was a nice sight as we exited the woods near the river  i told ericka that  she was to hold tight and when we see a deer  she will be able to take our time and she could set up. not even 10min later while we were walking to a spot that i wanted her to set up,out steps a nice 3 pointer 15 feet away.
Of course all ericka saw was a flash of brownand i had already fired, at that time i explained to her that that is how fast you have to react when there is such a short distance and lack of open space to see the area; bears are very fast,but isnt that a nice deer?
Her comment was basicly damn all i saw was a brown spot and then it hit the ground,i didnt even see it .
We set up to gut the deer  and all i had was a small ass ss knife pocket, it did the job but i like big knifes; as i was skinning she was observing for mr. bear After about 45min to 1 hr we prepped to head to the boat,on the way there was a little difficulty but it is so easy when ya can float a deer in water versus packing,(now remember no packs) forgot to mention had to remove my pants belt to place around the neck of the deer to drag him out through the water; and ericka was carring my .300 mag. After about 1 1/2 hours we got to the bend in the river that heads to the boat and the other little factoid (there were no fish carcusses in the river and no smells of carcusses anywhere) while looking the area over on the right side was all thick and heavy foliage as was the left (youve seen it  dont go up to the edge of the bank till i look for mr,bear remember)
back to the fun on the side of the river where my boat was  1 mile or so away yet;there is a bit of a finger along the river for a good 6-750 yds about 15-23 feet high.
The river is 30 yds wide w /same on either side of beautiful thick alaska sea beach grass and guess what is in my way; a great big log jam snag on the river, after getting accrossed to the other side with ericka(low water level too) i gave her my .300 mag and told her to go up to the top of the long spit there and to stop at a point that i had visually showed her and to wait and to keep her eyes open because of the possible bear problem and that before we drag this deer around the point I want to make sure that there are no bears out sunning themselves or feeding on clams or grass,and im going to very carefully drag this deer over this snagg and you watch me from that location and if i need my rifle that is the only low spot on the spit  that you could reach me (to drop my rifle to me handing not possible) As i huffed and puffed to get this deer over the snagg and steep gravel bank w/rushing water and nasty snag in the river so ya know i had to be very carefull no slip ups or its all over ,and that would have been rough on ericka so carefull i was.
Now after i got to the other side of the snag i deffinatly had to take a break so with my back to the spit and river at my feet  i was lookin and sniffin the air(ya know the take a couple of steps and then sniff and look around 360) and 15 feet away i saw ripples in the water so i grabbed the horns and pulled another 10ft and his head was between my feet .While i had done this im thinking what the hell is ericka doing in the water let alone on the bank(now mind you very limited hearing )
I had told her to go to a very specific spot and that was that  she was also told if she had any sightings that scared her all she had to do was jump to me over the bank, hell she had my .300 mag/.223 for her .So basicly to place this into timing at the time i had seen the first ripple; this is what ericka told me///
When she left me at the river snag to go up to the designated spot  she had seen a perifrial eyesight movement at that time she wasnt sure then when she quickly turned to look at the trail leading to me all she saw was lots of brownie tail hot to trot for my location at a high rate of speed at that moment she hot balled it to a location to access eyesight and to let me know a bear was there.
And me on the riverbank was a mumbling about her coming back to the river or maybe she saw something so being patient i was in the process of lookin and sniffin and looking up where i had told her to be and at the riverbank for any possible surprises,and looking up i caught her eyes about the same time mr bear  showed up in my perifrial she exclaimed a BEAR!!!
So here i am ;what to do mr bear at 15ft and i cant back up;i cant go into the river and i sure as hell aint RUNNING and then believe it or not a deer at my feet and my daughter had my .300mag
So i look up and say gun gun gun very EXCITEDLY after she tossed me my rifle i told her to watch carefully for the other one tfere are always 2/3 in the area together .
As i am loading my rifle (bolt charge) I am looking at mr bear and talking my daughter through the process as much as possible  and she is fired up looking for mr bears buddies ,so im thinking hm 800/1000 --small bear and yea so the old timers always said dont  waste a bullet just shoot em dead ;NOOO not me i have to try the old maybe i can just spook him off, I fire a round into the water a t 2ft in front and to the side ,zipp acrossed the river  and right back into my face 15ft away (river is 35ft wide) acting like a puppy dog going after a toy ball and i was going to be his toy first and then the deer would have been dinner, at that time i told ericka as i was topping off my mag that as long as we had a stand off  just keep observing and if that sob brings his paws out of the water in my direction stay put and dont move, i will have to kill him hell not even 15 sec after he lunged. the bear was facing me and when i fired i got him dead center of the chest cavity and exited 2in right out his pooper,as he was pushed back by the shock of getting shot he reared up and slapped the area shot ;then his head started to turn in my direction so the second shot was placed into the left front lung area ,at this moment the bear turned away and was at a fast pace towards the trees on the other bank .
I am sure the bear is not going to go very far i knew he was bad shot twice but till hes on the ground and confirmed dead he is a danger to all (alaska creed leave no pissed off wounded animals espicially bears finish them off or stay on the hunt till you are sure he is DEAD)
After the bear went to the other bank i was reloading and keeping an eye on the bear to finish him off ,as i went charging acrossed the river;;I heard ericka where are you going,dont leave (all excited) im just going to make sure mer bear is dead,50ft later he fell over very dead!!
Then i raced back to ericka and we did a nonstop marathon to get to the boat with the least amounts of stopping .
Lets just say i have not had to drag a deer that far in a short time ;Dotties cove is veeery long at low tide well we finally got to the boat and after changing our SHORTS we went home.
where there is one bear there are more and on admiralty island there is 1 1/2 -2 bears to a mile
at least what the bioligist say. Went back to take care of the carcuss later and all the other bears gobbled him up and i wasnt going to approach the casch pile.
This took a long time to redo and i used an after action report i did after i got home ;old habits never die.
Lived here 48yrs hunted alone 30yrs first bear i had to kill lots of close calls but the old timers always said boy when your time is up its up and always consider the odds.
                                                                akwildman
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the forum. I've hunted Alaska 1 time, on Kodiak Island (my dream hunt). It was 20 years ago, but I still recall it like yesterday.

A Beowulf with 335 grainers will do the trick on AK brownies; I used a .338 WinMag on mine and the 'wulf has that much energy at least.
A 1-2.5x optic would be the hot ticket for use in those damnable alder thickets y'all have up there... I have a 1x S&W dot sight on mine for use here in FL on wild boar. So far, I've killed 3 with it and haven't had to look more than 30 ft. for the critter. That in itself speaks well for the gun/cartidge, as the local nickname for hogs is "walking bullet trap" (I'ce recovered .308 bullets from under the hides of more than a few!).

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top