Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 10:09:54 AM EDT
I keep hoping to see more on this because I guess I want to hear more good news. I am guilty of not reporting the very limited experiance I have with one of these; I fired a few rounds with a borrowed bar-10 and can say that it seemed to cycle in slow motion. Recoil was a soft push. Ergos and sights familliar. Izzy brake just fine with me. I liked it. Others were grabbing for it and blowing off a bunch of rounds trying to out run it. No way. Fit was exceptional and I want one. I have a satasfied history with Bushmaster rifles but this is different, isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I know I want one
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I just bought one and it came in last week. Got to break it in a bit on Monday. Real tight, fit was perfect, everything was just right. One problem is it kept shooting right, and I had the rear sights all the way over. I contacted Bushmaster that evening, they said the barrel had to be re-indexed. They sent me a UPS label, and the gun went out yesterday. It's my first dealing with the service dept, my other Bushy's have always been mint. I'm sure they will correct this right away. I can't wait to get my hands on it again :-)
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]

I got to touch one yesterday...not bad.  I didn't like the charging handle or bolt release but the quality looked good.

Question about the izzy brake.  I think that was what it had on it.  It almost looked like a vortex with a closed end.  It ooks like it would suppress some flash.  Anybody shot one at night?  How big a flash signature does it have?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Will recieve mine on the 25th
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I got to touch one yesterday...not bad.  I didn't like the charging handle or bolt release but the quality looked good.

Question about the izzy brake.  I think that was what it had on it.  It almost looked like a vortex with a closed end.  It ooks like it would suppress some flash.  Anybody shot one at night?  How big a flash signature does it have?

Thanks

It does suppress some of the flash, but it is by no means a flash "hider."

With my 16" BAR-10 fired at night with Australian surplus ammo, there was still a subdued flash signature starting about 3-4" in front of the muzzle and about 6" long.  By no means the fireball I get out of my 16" bare muzzled AR-10(T) with the same ammo.

I did find the Izzy brake to be a very effective brake, however.  There was noticeably reduced muzzle flip resulting in sights back on target very quickly for follow-up shots.

As much as I like the Izzy brake, though, I am interested in any real flash suppressors Bushmaster may offer after the AWB sunsets.

Any rumors on this yet?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

It does suppress some of the flash, but it is by no means a flash "hider."

With my 16" BAR-10 fired at night with Australian surplus ammo, there was still a subdued flash signature starting about 3-4" in front of the muzzle and about 6" long.  By no means the fireball I get out of my 16" bare muzzled AR-10(T) with the same ammo.

I did find the Izzy brake to be a very effective brake, however.  There was noticeably reduced muzzle flip resulting in sights back on target very quickly for follow-up shots.

As much as I like the Izzy brake, though, I am interested in any real flash suppressors Bushmaster may offer after the AWB sunsets.

Any rumors on this yet?

If Bushmaster does not supply them in a timely manner I will just install a vortex on mine, you have so many options for this and many are rather effective if matched with the proper ammo that was designed to function with theses flash suppressors.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#7]

I'm leaning towards a Vortex for my AR10 although the open front bothers me a little.  I do most of my shooting in the woods and hanging up is a concern.  I would love to see a Phantom for the .308 but so far YHM is not producing one.  I did get an email two months ago where they said they were working on a line of access. for the AR10 but nothing definite yet.

I may just have to settle with the A2.  Does the A2 do that bad a job?  If the Vortex gives a signature similar to a lit cigarette, what could the A2 be compared to?

Thanks

Sorry - I just hijacked my first post.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#8]

My hope is that since YHM makes the Phantom, and YHM supplies Flash suppressors and brakes to Bushmaster, that BM and YHM are working on a Phantom for the BAR-10.

Does anyone know what the thread size is under the BAR-10 brake and if a standard .30 cal Vortex will fit?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Please let it be 5/8x24x.730 deep...I think that is what I will need.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]

I may just have to settle with the A2. Does the A2 do that bad a job? If the Vortex gives a signature similar to a lit cigarette, what could the A2 be compared to?        

I have an A2 on my AR-10 I have not seen any flash on mt end. My buddy said that he did not see any from the side while I was shooting. This was done at dusk so I don't know how it would do at night. Another friend of ours was shooting a bare end Bushy carbine (5.56) and it was producing a basketball size flash about 9 inches long !
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#11]
how well are the FAL mags working in the new bushy 308?

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]

long-rifle-tactical

Will recieve mine on the 25th

got to shot long-rifle tactical on sunday and all i can say is  i think its time to sell my 2 AR10 and buy a Bushmaster 308
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd pick up a Bushmaster 308 the very minute they offer one with a flash suppressor with a closed bottom port and a lighter barrel.

No questions asked!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My hope is that since YHM makes the Phantom, and YHM supplies Flash suppressors and brakes to Bushmaster, that BM and YHM are working on a Phantom for the BAR-10.

Does anyone know what the thread size is under the BAR-10 brake and if a standard .30 cal Vortex will fit?

Already in production

TACTICAL FLASH HIDER - The most advanced design available for reducing or nearly eliminating all the muzzle flash on military caliber rifles or carbines. Four, 15°, helical flutes dissipate the gas but contain the unburnt powder; allows increased residual burn for less visible flash. Right-hand, helical flutes will not loosen under heavy fire and help align exiting barrel gas to improve accuracy. Highest degree of flash suppression is gained using M-193, SS-109, American Eagle 55 gr. FMJ and NATO spec. ammunition. AR-15 fits .223 caliber rifles. .308 fits Remington 700 Tactical and AR-10.

SPECS: AR-15 - ½"-28 tpi. 2¼" (5.7cm) long, .861" (21mm) diameter. 2.9 oz. (82 g) wt. 8620 steel. .308 - Black, military magnesium phosphate finish. 5/8-24 tpi. 2-11/16" (6.8cm) long, .905" (2.3cm) diameter. 3.9 oz. (112g) weight. Fits Rem 700 Tactical and AR-10 in .308 Win.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Gee, what a wonderful world we live in (Post AWB!)

My BAR-10 with its new Vortex:

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn!  That's sweet!  Hmm....

FAL Congo.......BAR10........FAL Congo.......BAR10............
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Gee, what a wonderful world we live in (Post AWB!)

My BAR-10 with its new Vortex:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30247

How/Where did you have that done?  If I were to get a BAR10, I'd want the exact same thing, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#19]
that's what I want to know!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#21]

let's not get crazy.....

Well, unless you want to cut me a deal on the SEBR...

if it wasn't siting in a box waiting to get sent back to ArmaLite
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That Vortex looks great.  So, is Bushy selling these with threaded barrels now, or did you have the barrel threaded?

The barrels have always been threaded.

I confirmed with BM that the thread pitch was 5/8-24 (same as Vortex), then I cut off the Izzy brake and threaded on the Vortex.

The Izzy brake is pinned on a threaded barrel.  I simply used a Dremel cutoff wheel and chopped up the brake until I could pry/unscrew it off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That Vortex looks great.  So, is Bushy selling these with threaded barrels now, or did you have the barrel threaded?

The barrels have always been threaded.

I confirmed with BM that the thread pitch was 5/8-24 (same as Vortex), then I cut off the Izzy brake and threaded on the Vortex.

The Izzy brake is pinned on a threaded barrel.  I simply used a Dremel cutoff wheel and chopped up the brake until I could pry/unscrew it off.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

let's not get crazy.....

Well, unless you want to cut me a deal on the SEBR...

if it wasn't siting in a box waiting to get sent back to ArmaLite

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top