User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2022 1:47:30 PM EDT

For those of you who own a KS47 it's obvious what a nose heavy
pig these rifles are.
Years ago I had tried building my own 7.62x39 AR15. I bought
quality parts including a YHM Nitride barrel, Fail Zero bolt and extendo firing pin.
The only let down were the ASC magazines that would bind up and fail
no matter what i did.

So I pulled the YHM barrel out of storage and swapped it with the PSA barrel.

Handles better, looks better and functions well with the KS45 BCG. (Feeds and extracts)

I can't wait to actually shoot it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2022 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, you got me.  I ordered a KS-47 lower.  I'm going to strip the Faxon 16" gunner barrel of a upper and put it on a PSA upper.  The PSA stripped upper is out of stock, but the bolt carrier and lower was in stock.  I figured buying the lower puts me in the game and I'm immune from price increases or bans.  Got a picture of the inside of your upper receiver?  I wonder how hard it is to machine out a upper to fit?

I have always liked the 7.62x39mm AR and absolutely loved the Knight's prototype they build 20 years ago.  CMMG mutants have always been just a tad higher than I wanted to pay.  When the Colts were around, the weird mags always turned me off.  The $199 PSA lower ($275 after shipping, taxes, FFL transfer), is a good starting point.  I actually bid on several CCMG Mutants on gunbroker and always missed out by just enough to not make me sad.  I finally built a couple of 7.62x39mm AR uppers and got some Duramags for it.    But your picture/post got me to stop waiting and get a lower.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, you got me.  I ordered a KS-47 lower.  I'm going to strip the Faxon 16" gunner barrel of a upper and put it on a PSA upper.  The PSA stripped upper is out of stock, but the bolt carrier and lower was in stock.  I figured buying the lower puts me in the game and I'm immune from price increases or bans.  Got a picture of the inside of your upper receiver?  I wonder how hard it is to machine out a upper to fit?

I have always liked the 7.62x39mm AR and absolutely loved the Knight's prototype they build 20 years ago.  CMMG mutants have always been just a tad higher than I wanted to pay.  When the Colts were around, the weird mags always turned me off.  The $199 PSA lower ($275 after shipping, taxes, FFL transfer), is a good starting point.  I actually bid on several CCMG Mutants on gunbroker and always missed out by just enough to not make me sad.  I finally built a couple of 7.62x39mm AR uppers and got some Duramags for it.    But you picture/post got me to stop waiting and get a lower.
View Quote
You can't machine out a STD upper to work.  It's not wide enough, and if you tried the wall thickness would be real real thin.  Reminds me I need to strip the uppers off of the complete uppers I have.  I bought the KS-47 upper because it was the cheapest way for me to finish my BRS-47 builds.  Kinda thinking about reusing one of the upper receivers to build it in 5.56 and use Polish/Romanian 5.56 AK mags with it...just to make heads explode and watch the world burn.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I do have a couple of billet uppers that are pretty chubby and has lots of meat on it.  One is a side charger from Bear Creek, which isn't all that bad.  I do worry about the bolt though as you always read about 7.62x39mm AR bolt failures.  It was cheap enough that I can buy a replacement bolt.  

But it'll probably be the same cost to have the billet uppers milled it out as to buy a dedicated upper.  I might buy one and see what the difference is.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#5]
That’s really sweet

So a std 762x39 barrel extension works with the ks47 bolt? I thought the ks47 bolt was proprietary.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's really sweet

So a std 762x39 barrel extension works with the ks47 bolt? I thought the ks47 bolt was proprietary.
View Quote
The bolt carrier is modified/cut to work with the AK mags.  I can't remember off the top of my head if a bolt lug is thinned for clearance or not. I grabbed spares x39 bolts just in case and figure I can mod them if needs be.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The bolt carrier is modified/cut to work with the AK mags.  I can't remember off the top of my head if a bolt lug is thinned for clearance or not. I grabbed spares x39 bolts just in case and figure I can mod them if needs be.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's really sweet

The lugs are modified for clearance of AK mags on the bolt as well, so I am surprised that it worked with another barrel.

I think we need an expert to chime in.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally...Posted...By...SCR55...:
The...lugs...are...modified...for...clearance...of...AK...mags...on...the...bolt...as...well,...so...I...am...surprised...that...it...worked...with...another...barrel.
View Quote

That...is...NOT...correct.
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Josiah posted this on the PSA forum concerning building a KS47 upper:

"The barrel is not proprietary. It is the barrel extension. I just found that out today!"

https://palmettostatearmory.com/forum/t/ks-47-barrel/535/14
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I...just...put...a...7.......x39...upper...together...for...a...friend...that...is...new...to...guns.
I...started...him...out...with...the...C-Products...mags...for...now...and...if...he...gets...into...it...heavy...later,...he...can...switch...to...a...KS47...or...MGI...lower...like...I'm...using.
I...used...a...PSA...KS47...BCG...but...PSA...was...out...of...barrels...and...used...a...Midway...7.......x39...and...they...are...using...extensions...similar...to...PSA...now...with...a...bug...single...feed...ramp.......
It...all...ran...100%.......Didn't...mod...anything.

Don't...ask...me...why...my...posts...keep...adding...so...many...periods. ...I...have...no...idea.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't...ask...me...why...my...posts...keep...adding...so...many...periods. ...I...have...no...idea.
View Quote

It is kinda funny, though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Josiah posted this on the PSA forum concerning building a KS47 upper:

"The barrel is not proprietary. It is the barrel extension. I just found that out today!"

https://palmettostatearmory.com/forum/t/ks-47-barrel/535/14
View Quote

The KS47 barrel extension is unique. Its got one big feed ramp thats more like a trough, rather than the typical two feed ramps, to help with feeding. Standard barrels will still work though. I'm have a BCA barrel on my build.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The KS47 barrel extension is unique. Its got one big feed ramp thats more like a trough, rather than the typical two feed ramps, to help with feeding. Standard barrels will still work though. I'm have a BCA barrel on my build.
View Quote
Not unique...as I posted above Midway USA does the same thing with their 762x39 extensions as have others over the years
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top