Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 10:49:40 AM EDT
I’m not 100% sure why, but finding a 16” pencil barrel in a stainless finish with a carbine length gas system has proved quite difficult. The only one I can locate is from Moriarti and the reviews on that company are not great. Finding one in a black finish is easy, but stainless is nearly impossible.

Anyone know of anyone else that makes one?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a standard stainless barrel and have it reprofiled?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say it is not that great of a seller. If you open it to mid length gas systems you would find more options.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say it is not that great of a seller. If you open it to mid length gas systems you would find more options.
View Quote

this lots of people have moved away from carbine to mid. apparently it increases reliability with broader selection of ammo too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Because there’s no reason to have a carbine length gas system on a 16” barrel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  That's not a good spec OP.  Faxon makes their skinny Gunner Profile 16" in SS (malonited to black), but middy gas.  I can't imagine a manufactuer today selling very many skinny SS 16" carbine barrels.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Why do you want that is the question.

Stainless is a poor choice for a pencil profile barrel, stainless has poor resistance to heat and pencil barrels heat up very rapidly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I am trying to keep from running mid-length as I am looking to run a 9-10” hand guard and don’t want to see my gas block sticking out.

Any one have any barrels they’ve seen rather than telling me why they think I shouldn’t do it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking for a 16" carbine pencil barrel to have chopped to 12.5". Not looking for stainless but I can't find the black ones either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Ballistic Advantage definitely makes one in black. Retro Rifles sells one. Colt uses them as well. I know I’ve seen others as well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#10]
A 10” handguard will hide a mid length low profile gas block.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A 10” handguard will hide a mid length low profile gas block.
View Quote

It won’t - 10.5” is at the very edge, but 11” is real minimum.

I have a 10” ALG v3 on a middy and GB protrudes about 1/2”.  It’s pinned, so NBD but it definitely sticks out.

ETA - One option: get a nitrided stainless barrel & bead blast it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ballistic Advantage definitely makes one in black. Retro Rifles sells one. Colt uses them as well. I know I've seen others as well.
View Quote
thanks. I guess I should have specified "in stock". lol

It's hard to find anything right now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you already have the handguard, or why not just go with an 11 or 12" handguard?

If you want a pencil profile I'll repeat my suggestion that 4140/4150/CMV type steels are a better choice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
It’s really a personal preference I guess, but I can’t stand clunky looking hand guards and heavy barrels. I am wanting to build something similar to the image of the rifle at the link below, but prefer the look of the stainless barrel and a thin profile. Not looking to buy that exact hand guard, just the best reference I could find.

Rifle Example

Just seems odd I can find 16” pencil carbine barrel in black, or 16” carbine stainless in M4 profile, heavy profile, etc... just not exactly what I want.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
FWIW, I agree that there is wisdom in bucking the current fad of long handguards.  A 12" is as long as I have or ever want, and on a carbine, no real reason to go beyond the gas block if all you ever run is a simple weapon light or such.

But, thin stainless barrels are not going to hold up well.  Heat will soon do them in.  That's probably why few are in production.

If you want a pencil barrel, go 4150 CMV steel, preferably chrome lined.  I like nitride for government profile or any non-match grade barrel, but chrome lining will provide better heat protection on a thin barrel.  And, know that thin barrels tend to walk their groups as they heat up, even if free floated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm looking for a 16" carbine pencil barrel to have chopped to 12.5". Not looking for stainless but I can't find the black ones either.
View Quote

Have you thought of buying a LW 12.5” barrel instead of whatever this is?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And, know that thin barrels tend to walk their groups as they heat up, even if free floated.
View Quote

Is this really true for modern stress-relieved pencil barrels? Faxon says their pencil barrels won't change POI.

21:00 in.

Faxon Q&A #3: Twist rates, stress, break-in, gas ports & more!

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#18]
The reason nobody builds any of that is because that’s like a culmination of a bunch of disadvantages and no advantages.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
If it doesn’t have to be stainless, here ya go:

https://retrorifles.com/14-5-inch-pencil-profile-carbine-barrel-625/

That link is to 14.5 but they have the same thing in 16”; although if you’re gonna chop it that’s kinda moot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Not stainless but cheap and in stock

16", LW, Carbine gas

RTB is great. I've done business with them several times

https://www.righttobear.com/DPMS-5-56-Lightweight-Carbine-Barrel-p/axrtb-bl-sportical.htm

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought one of these pencil barrels in stainless a long time ago. ER Shaw barrels are good to go

Stainless Pencil Barrel

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is this really true for modern stress-relieved pencil barrels? Faxon says their pencil barrels won't change POI.

21:00 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3FDLiWMUTc

View Quote

Heat changes everything.  The thinner the barrel, the more it is affected and the more quickly, and the more quickly it will recover after shooting halts.

I recall in Infantry training over 40 years ago they had Ma Deuce locked in on a sandy hillside about 2k away and let her rip.  You could see the impacts moving down the face of that hillside as she heated up.  The exercise was to illustrate the importance of changing barrels.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:32:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am trying to keep from running mid-length as I am looking to run a 9-10” hand guard and don’t want to see my gas block sticking out.

Any one have any barrels they’ve seen rather than telling me why they think I shouldn’t do it?
View Quote

I have a 16" mid-length pencil barrel on my rifle with a 10.5" handguard, and it completely covers the gas block with about 5/16" to spare.  Gas block is a BAD Ti low-profile type, which IIRC is a bit under 1" long.  A 1" long gas block should still be covered completely with a tiny bit of room to spare.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have a 16" mid-length pencil barrel on my rifle with a 10.5" handguard, and it completely covers the gas block with about 5/16" to spare.  Gas block is a BAD Ti low-profile type, which IIRC is a bit under 1" long.  A 1" long gas block should still be covered completely with a tiny bit of room to spare.
View Quote

In a related story, I have a 10" rail on a middy 16 with a micro GB and it peeks out just a bit, you don't see the tube.  Doesn't bother me at all and I like the overall look and handling.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I posted a couple of CL’d pencils above for the OP.  I built the wife’s rifle with a stainless .625 BA Hanson.  If I had it to do over I would go CL’d.

10” HG on mid-length for reference.  HG’s vary so 10 might mean 10.xx.  The ALG in this pic is exactly 10”.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It won’t - 10.5” is at the very edge, but 11” is real minimum.

I have a 10” ALG v3 on a middy and GB protrudes about 1/2”.  It’s pinned, so NBD but it definitely sticks out.

ETA - One option: get a nitrided stainless barrel & bead blast it.
View Quote

Here is a picture. I would expect that some handguards and gas blocks are longer than others even if nominally similar.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-standard-14-5-mid-length-upper-receiver-group-w-mcmr-10-handguard/
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:25:24 AM EDT
[#29]
This is my 16" mid-length with 10.5" handguard.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a firm believer in mid-length gas systems on 14.5 to 16" barrels. It's easier on the bolt and they shoot smoother than the carbine gassed rifles. Just as important (to me) is the mid-gassed barrels allow for more reach with the support arm. WIN/WIN.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Boom
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#32]

What gas block is that?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What gas block is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Battle Arms Development 0.625" Titanium Low-Profile Gas Block

Light, short, and slim.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Although this is a large frame .358 Win, the dimensions are essentially the same as an AR15. 16" .750" SS mid-gas, 10" handguard, Aero AGB. I was at first hesitant, but I don't mind the gas block sticking out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top