Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 2:08:54 PM EDT
My son recently won an Anderson AR-15 Model B2-K850-A000 which has carbine length gas system but is low profile and has no front sight post. He'd like to replace the existing drop in handguard with and extended model, either M-Lok or quad rail, but doesn't like or need the cutout for the fsp. Does anyone make a drop-in model, preferably 13"-15" that doesn't have the cutout ?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The majority of drop in rails make use of the handguard cap to hold the front in. Not a lot of companies make a true drop in free float rail. Midwest Industries and Centurion arms have a couple models, but you would have to remove the delta ring and the handguard cap (if it is in place). If you are open to something shorter that will still cover the gas block, take a look at the Daniel Defense Omega rail. The new Omega rails are MLOK, but they top out at 9". If he is open to picatinny, then the older omega rail would work too. They were a lot longer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Drop in requires retention at both ends.

I.E. handguard retaining cap in front, delta pack at rear.

You could easily swap things out for a free float that attaches to std USGI barrel nut.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You could easily swap things out for a free float that attaches to std USGI barrel nut.
View Quote

As far as I know, the DD Omega rail is one of the few drop in free float rails.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Centurion C4. Just get a 12” model. It free floats.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. Omega 12.0 is the longest,  IIRC?  Zero mods.

Not sure on whether or not it will clear the OP's GB though. Worth looking into.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not sure on whether or not it will clear the OP's GB though. Worth looking into.
View Quote

The handguard cap is the only thing to worry about if you go past the GB. The other ones will just drop in with the handguard cap in place.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The handguard cap is the only thing to worry about if you go past the GB. The other ones will just drop in with the handguard cap in place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Troy and Samson also make handguards that use the original barrel nut.  Though I doubt any of the rails mentioned including these will clear that gas block.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Centurion C4. Just get a 12” model. It free floats.
View Quote

Great choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top