Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2020 4:29:03 PM EDT
I bought both of these barrels. One is the Spikes CHF “optimal” 14.5” barrel and the other is an actual FN 14.7” button rifled CHF barrel in government profile. Both are mid length.

I already received the Spikes barrel. Nice looking profile and gas port measured out right at .070” with calipers (not ideal I know). I haven’t received the actual FN barrel yet.

I’ll weight, measure, and check everything out myself. However, anyone have experience with both?

**Update at bottom of page**
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#1]
How does your F/N barrel have CHF rifling and button rifling?  It has to be one of the other.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does your F/N barrel have CHF rifling and button rifling?  It has to be one of the other.
View Quote

True.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably meant chrome lined.

I'll take a chf barrel over a button rifles any day of the week. That said, the button rifled one may be a hair more accurate...
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh boy. Jokes on me. That’s the difference. I assumed all FN barreled were CHF.

FN 14.7” button cut barrel
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:24:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly it’s a pretty easy mistake to be made. I wasn’t trying to call you out just so I’m clear.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Could see that for sure.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
**UPDATE**

So I dimpled the Spikes CHF barrel. Went as usual. Took plenty of cutting oil and took some pressure on the ole drill press.

Then I did the FN button rifled barrel. I immediately noticed that is cut like butter. I stopped, pulled the jig off and the set screw in the gas port reamed it out. I’ve done about a dozen different barrels now and I’ve never had one this soft.

Normal? Cause for concern?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 3:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
It's going to work fine either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's going to work fine either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
View Quote

Yeah I’m sure it will. I’ve just never had a barrel (finish & Metal) that was so soft.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had the Spikes 14.5 optimal, middy, CHF for 2 years and about 600 rounds.  Great barrel and shooter.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had the Spikes 14.5 optimal, middy, CHF for 2 years and about 600 rounds.  Great barrel and shooter.
View Quote

I’ve got two; one is still pretty fresh with about 200, the other has seen about 2k. Both are wicked solid shooters.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Rifle Gear has 14.7 CHF FN mid barrels not listed as button rifle ,thinking about trying one . I guess I'll call them to make sure . The 14.5 Spikes on my go to gun is a wicked solid barrel .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top