Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 12:05:16 AM EDT
I know this seems kind of broad, but I need some suggestions.  I am wanting to take my 16" carbine and take it down to a 14.5" midlength.  I have a BCM upper and just installed the 13" KMR rail.  My current barrel is the heavier carbine (maybe M4 platform, it has the cutout for the grenade launcher).  Any barrel suggestions?  I always thought chrome lined was the best so I was thinking BCM 14.5 mid barrel, but keep hearing about and reading on barrels treated with the QPQ salt bath nitride (first heard from Aero precision) and how they are cheaper and last longer.  Is the quality of these the same as say a BCM barrel?  My main issue is price.  As I don't want to spend $500 on a barrel, but at the same time I want a quality one.  Would BCM be the way to go?  Aero Precision (which isn't chrome lined)?  Another brand a clear cut leader?  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:11:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Voodoo NFA or non-NFA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know this seems kind of broad, but I need some suggestions.  I am wanting to take my 16" carbine and take it down to a 14.5" midlength.  I have a BCM upper and just installed the 13" KMR rail.  My current barrel is the heavier carbine (maybe M4 platform, it has the cutout for the grenade launcher).  Any barrel suggestions?  I always thought chrome lined was the best so I was thinking BCM 14.5 mid barrel, but keep hearing about and reading on barrels treated with the QPQ salt bath nitride (first heard from Aero precision) and how they are cheaper and last longer.  Is the quality of these the same as say a BCM barrel?  My main issue is price.  As I don't want to spend $500 on a barrel, but at the same time I want a quality one.  Would BCM be the way to go?  Aero Precision (which isn't chrome lined)?  Another brand a clear cut leader?  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

You will not be disappointed with the BCM barrel.  A year or 2 ago there was an article in SWAT about a BCM carbine that had a crazy number of rounds through the barrel (I want to say it was over 40,000), still being used.  That or a DD barrel will cost more than most of the others on the market, but should last through more rounds than most of us could realistically ever afford to put through it.

If you want cheaper but still chrome-lined and still very, very good, Spikes has a LW midlength for <$200.  

The Aero barrel looks promising; I built a 10.5" upper with one but haven't had the opportunity to shoot it more than a few times.

There is a thread about the very affordable Faxon barrels here.

Whichever you choose, my preference in  14.5" is the lightweight contour.  A couple of ounces difference, but seems much lighter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Aero Precision.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you wanting to,retain a FSB? Here is my truck gun. Everything is cheap except the Daniels defense middy 14.5 lightweight barrel.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have already taken my FSB off and replaced it with a YHM low pro block.  I then put on the 13" KMR rail.  Just really wanting to get a 14.5" barrel and midlength system instead of a carbine system and 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have always been a huge BCM fan and can't say anything bad about all of the BCM stuff I own.  I have just recently found out about the nitride/melonite barrels instead of chrome lined.  I have ZERO experience with the nitride/melonite so didn't know how it would hold up and how well it did accuracy wise.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the jury is still out on Melonite barrels lasting longer than CL barrels. It looks promising but only time will tell. Personally, I just stick with CL and stainless for my barrels.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Voodoo NFA or non-NFA.
View Quote

Yup...get it here for less.

http://vtsupply.com/14-5-mid-length-government-profile-voodoo-barrel-pinned-manimal.html

With the pre-installed Manimal, you can configure your barrel as you like, whenever you like, and never need to worry about removing the flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:57:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think the jury is still out on Melonite barrels lasting longer than CL barrels. It looks promising but only time will tell. Personally, I just stick with CL and stainless for my barrels.
View Quote

With the difference in price most of the time, the melonite barrels are a great value even if they don't last any longer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://vtsupply.com/14-5-mid-length-government-profile-voodoo-barrel-pinned-manimal.html

With the pre-installed Manimal, you can configure your barrel as you like, whenever you like, and never need to worry about removing the flash hider.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Voodoo NFA or non-NFA.

That's where I bought mine, too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all of the replies.  I am still on the fence with this, considering Melonite seems so new.  It is interesting reading about the Adams Arms QPQ barrels and their velocities.  I would say it's down to the 14.5 Voodoo and the 14.5 BCM both in mid length.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top