Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2013 6:28:29 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

I have been looking at the DSA uppers and I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience or at least knows someone who has used them?

So tell me your experience and what you think of them.

These are the two models I'm looking at.

DSAZM4 A3 Upper Tell me what you think of this one and your thoughts. Point out anything and everything that I might not be looking at.

DSA ZM4 A3 Different than the first model I posted. Same with this one tell me what you think and your thoughts and point out what I might not be thinking about.

DSA ZM4 A3 railed upper This is one that I keep going back to. I like that it's railed and it has a flip up site already on it. Tell me your thoughts and what you think.

DSA ZM4 A3 MOE Model Okay so tell me what you think about this one. I know nothing about the MOE stuff. I have been seeing it a lot with my re-search for these couple of builds. How do I mount a light and grip? Tell me about the MOE stuff.

Thanks everyone for any info you can give me. I know DSA is the go to in FN FAL and L1A1's but have no clue on their AR stuff.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 DSA uppers and have one of the units you listed ( DSA ZM4  "different") Its different than the one above because its the chrome lined barrel and the other one is non-chrome lined.  Chromed line is considered a value due to wear and corrosion resistance.  But a non chrome lined can last you a lifetime+ as well.
All my DSA products worked fine right out the box and the build quality seems as good as any.

Only problem is long lead times on orders which seems to be getting shorter, but they have back-orders going months out in some cases.  So if you want it right away, you may be disappointed.  If you can wait a long time, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them.

All of the ones you listed are pretty similar, except the Chrome lining, the differences are cosmetic changes you can add yourself (drop in rail, Magpul furniture, and back up sights are commodities and you can easily (no gumnsmithing) add later based upon your personal preference.)

DSAZM4 A3 Upper Tell me what you think of this one and your thoughts. Point out anything and everything that I might not be looking at.

Not Chrome lined bore

DSA ZM4 A3 Different than the first model I posted. Same with this one tell me what you think and your thoughts and point out what I might not be thinking about.

As above without chrome lined bore.

DSA ZM4 A3 railed upper This is one that I keep going back to. I like that it's railed and it has a flip up site already on it. Tell me your thoughts and what you think.

As above but the rail and front sight are added

DSA ZM4 A3 MOE Model Okay so tell me what you think about this one. I know nothing about the MOE stuff. I have been seeing it a lot with my re-search for these couple of builds. How do I mount a light and grip? Tell me about the MOE stuff.

As above but with Magpul MOE added - You can add these later yourself.  MOE is decent and ergonomic. You add a section of rail with the slots/openings of the furniture.  Pretty basic, but you need to buy the section(s) of rail you want.  I like it that way as you don't have  a huge rail with un-needed rail everywhere.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
My DSA M4 contour fluted upper is nicely machined and has never had accuracy or functioning problems.  They seem to back order everything and loose orders in their computer system.  I am still waiting (well not really) for them to deliver back ordered BCG's, a mid upper, LPK  etc, some of these parts were ordered in December!  I would not hesitate to purchase again if there was some certainty the order would be filled.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys and letting me know about the back orders.

Tell me the add says "16 Inch 5.56mm NATO Parkerized Chrome Moly" so what does that mean?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Chrome Moly is the type of steel that the barrel is made out of.
Parkerizing is for corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chrome Moly is the type of steel that the barrel is made out of.
Parkerizing is for corrosion resistance.
View Quote

Okay thanks I kind of remember learning about that from when I build my first one. I think DSA has one for 330 with chrome lined barrel.

The BCG is also another thing I need to be looking at. There are new finishes and materials out that was not on the market when I built last time. There is one that just says you wipe it off and its ready to go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My DSA M4 contour fluted upper is nicely machined and has never had accuracy or functioning problems.  They seem to back order everything and loose orders in their computer system.  I am still waiting (well not really) for them to deliver back ordered BCG's, a mid upper, LPK  etc, some of these parts were ordered in December!  I would not hesitate to purchase again if there was some certainty the order would be filled.
View Quote

My December LPKs came in a week ago from DSA, and the December ordered Bolt Carriers came in in June.  An M4 Upper ordered in March came in in August.  I think the lead times are getting shorter.  

Palmetto State has a screamin deal for a complete M4 upper today only for $319!

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My December LPKs came in a week ago from DSA, and the December ordered Bolt Carriers came in in June.  An M4 Upper ordered in March came in in August.  I think the lead times are getting shorter.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I keep watching Palmetto State for their deals. I have to wait until next month late in the month first of the other to buy an upper. I keep seeing these deals so I may jump on one. I bought six lowers from Palmetto for 109.99 with the MagPul MOE grip and LPK. The only thing not on it is the stock. I couldn't pass that deal up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of the flat top M4 type, non chromed bore. It has been 100% for me so far, fired 120 rounds of the old style wolf last weekend it worked fine. 3" groups at 50 yards is about the best I can do with that ammo and open sites.

I think there was some problems early on with the barrel extentions coming loose on the nitrated barrels but I believe they have corrected that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Tell me the add says "16 Inch 5.56mm NATO Parkerized Chrome Moly" so what does that mean?
View Quote

They are made of 4140 steel, not the best but fine for a semiauto gun IMO.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I will try and find one with the better barrel. I take chromed lined is what I should look for?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top