Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2012 10:41:45 AM EDT
Im tryin to figure out what I want for my next (2nd rifle). Im considering a 223 wylde barrel, are there any cons to the wylde? My other rifle is a stag model 1 in 5.56. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any.  My larue stealth shoots pretty much everything well
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]
My Krieger barrel shoots everything well also (wylde chamber).
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got a Bushmaster, and a White Oak Armament that both have a Wylde chambered barrel. No problems with either one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Im looking at the PSA 16" SS upper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
A true match Wylde chamber is an interference fit (.224") at the throat.  Some ammo, depending on the bullet's ogive shape and seating depth, may put the bullet into contact with the throat.  The tight fit is good for accuracy, but can lead to issues with fouling buildup if you shoot a lot between barrel cleaning.  Also, if the bullet is in contact with the throat, you will have difficulty in hand ejecting live rounds.

To mitigate those situations, some slightly modify the Wylde chamber, either by slightly increasing the throat diameter, or by setting the throat further forward.  Stainless barrels usually have enough erosion to eliminate the live round ejection issue after a few hundred rounds fired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top