Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 1 of 143)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 143
Posted: 9/8/2010 12:38:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Xskier45:
FWIW to those discussing the enhanced carrier/suppressed/SBR guns, my setup experience is as follows:

- 14.5" Barrel cut to 11.5" by Marvin Pitts (gas-port unchanged)
- Enhanced carrier & Standard Bolt
- Vltor A5 buffer system
- KAC CQB suppressor

Un-suppressed = Never had a failure to feed/cycle.

Suppressed = Occasional failure to fully cycle.  Last round ejects, new round feeds, but trigger does not reset.  It plays out like a short-stroke, which is interesting because you'd think this would be more likely to happen without the suppressor and the additional gas-pressure it provides.  I've tried 3 different A5 buffer weights, but same behavior with each.  Granted, I'm pushing the envelope a bit here with the un-opened gas port on a shortened barrel, enhanced carrier, and short can. (This is maybe a 2-5 per 100 round occurrence)  Been planning on testing with a standard carrier to see if that makes a difference.  Also, the now available factory 11.5" barrels are probably more heavily gassed than mine...So I might pick one of those up at some point.

Minimal to no-gas in face and pretty much seems like I'm shooting un-suppressed.  The short can (less backpressure) also plays a part in this I'd imagine though.

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/mikecleonard/20200409_171753_zps10q9qlo6.jpg
View Quote

I appreciate the info . Nice builds
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW to those discussing the enhanced carrier/suppressed/SBR guns, my setup experience is as follows:

- 14.5" Barrel cut to 11.5" by Marvin Pitts (gas-port unchanged)
- Enhanced carrier & Standard Bolt
- Vltor A5 buffer system
- KAC CQB suppressor

Un-suppressed = Never had a failure to feed/cycle.

Suppressed = Occasional failure to fully cycle.  Last round ejects, new round feeds, but trigger does not reset.  It plays out like a short-stroke, which is interesting because you'd think this would be more likely to happen without the suppressor and the additional gas-pressure it provides.  I've tried 3 different A5 buffer weights, but same behavior with each.  Granted, I'm pushing the envelope a bit here with the un-opened gas port on a shortened barrel, enhanced carrier, and short can. (This is maybe a 2-5 per 100 round occurrence)  Been planning on testing with a standard carrier to see if that makes a difference.  Also, the now available factory 11.5" barrels are probably more heavily gassed than mine...So I might pick one of those up at some point.

Minimal to no-gas in face and pretty much seems like I'm shooting un-suppressed.  The short can (less backpressure) also plays a part in this I'd imagine though.

View Quote
It's interesting that it behaves like it's less gassed with suppressor attached... I'm also interested in ejection pattern both suppressed and unsuppressed. The range I use is closed so I cannot test my EBCG currently. Not without about an hour and a half drive anyways, and then I question the backstop on that property.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By edwin907:

Trigger doesn't reset??  But round is fully fed?  Ever a failure to feed? Fresh recoil spring?  Where is ejection unsuppressed vs suppressed.?  Trigger pack?  

Have you tried a regular 10.5" LMT barrel?  14.5" good with & without suppressor?
Definitely give the regular carrier a whirl.
View Quote

Correct...Never a failure to feed...Bang, bang, bang, dead trigger, rack charging handle, live round pops out.  Geissele SD-3G trigger.  Ejection at about 2:00 with and w/o suppressor.

The barrels were never fired before cutting them from 14.5" to 11.5", and I've never tried any other barrel with these uppers.  Buffer spring was new from the get-go...but I haven't swapped that out yet to eliminate the possibility.

At the risk of being under-gassed, I built these guns to run pretty much full-time with a suppressor.  What I expected was possible short-strokes or failure to lock back after last round with suppressor off...but I got the opposite.  Never had a failure of any kind with the suppressor off, but these occasional failures to fully cycle with the suppressor on.

I'll try a standard Colt carrier next time I'm out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Correct...Never a failure to feed...Bang, bang, bang, dead trigger, rack charging handle, live round pops out.  Geissele SD-3G trigger.  Ejection at about 2:00 with and w/o suppressor.

The barrels were never fired before cutting them from 14.5" to 11.5", and I've never tried any other barrel with these uppers.  Buffer spring was new from the get-go...but I haven't swapped that out yet to eliminate the possibility.

At the risk of being under-gassed, I built these guns to run pretty much full-time with a suppressor.  What I expected was possible short-strokes or failure to lock back after last round with suppressor off...but I got the opposite.  Never had a failure of any kind with the suppressor off, but these occasional failures to fully cycle with the suppressor on.

View Quote
Interesting. Ejection isn't everything, but I would expect ejection to be different from 1400 if it was short stroking. When it ejects, does it throw the casings pretty far, or do you notice a difference when the trigger doesn't reset? You know your rifle better than me so I'm not saying your wrong by any means, so please don't take offense to the questions I'm sure you've already considered, I'm just super curious and love diagnostics to keep in mind for my own builds.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:03:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Xskier45] [#5]
Originally Posted By Hox:
Interesting. Ejection isn't everything, but I would expect ejection to be different from 1400 if it was short stroking. When it ejects, does it throw the casings pretty far, or do you notice a difference when the trigger doesn't reset? You know your rifle better than me so I'm not saying your wrong by any means, so please don't take offense to the questions I'm sure you've already considered, I'm just super curious and love diagnostics to keep in mind for my own builds.
View Quote

No, by all means...I'm open to all ideas.  

I'm kind of guessing from recollection here...but brass piles maybe 5-7 feet away I think.  If ejection of last round before failure is any different than the rest...I wouldn't be able to say.  I'm just going by where I have to pick up my brass and not by actually watching the ejection path.   Behind the trigger, I don't notice any difference between normal shots and the last shot between failure.

It is weird that it acts more under-gassed with the suppressor on.

Couple random observations:  Much less likely to happen if the gun is nice and wet (I guess that's a "duh" comment), but also started happening much less frequently when I switched to the newest generation of PMags, (M3 vs. M2).  Last outing a couple weeks ago and I ran about 200 rounds without failure...all suppressed.  Federal Lake City 62gr Green-tip is what I always run at the range.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]

No, by all means...I'm open to all ideas.  

I'm kind of guessing from recollection here...but brass piles maybe 5-7 feet away I think.  If ejection of last round before failure is any different than the rest...I wouldn't be able to say.  I'm just going by where I have to pick up my brass and not by actually watching the ejection path.   Behind the trigger, I don't notice any difference between normal shots and the last shot between failure.

It is weird that it acts more under-gassed with the suppressor on.

Couple random observations:  Much less likely to happen if the gun is nice and wet (I guess that's a "duh" comment), but also started happening much less frequently when I switched to the newest generation of PMags, (M3 vs. M2).  Last outing a couple weeks ago and I ran about 200 rounds without failure...all suppressed.  Federal Lake City 62gr Green-tip is what I always run at the range.
View Quote
Pressure from the top round in a mag can cause extra friction on the bottom of the BCG, so if the M3 mags have more room or less resistance at full capacity than the M2, then that could make sense (not sure on that being the case or not). The suppressor slowing the carrier down, and seeing no difference with change in buffer weights, just seems super odd. I'm not sure on LMT's gas port size between a 14.5 and 11.5 either, but regardless the suppressor is what's really throwing me off lol. But I have no better ideas than what you have based on the info. So long as it works the way you run it, all good I suppose.

I just had my 11.5 throw me into a whirlwind recently. Started a weird feed malfunction out of nowhere and after a few thousand flawless rounds (malfunction was consistent, several times a magazine) and half of those times during the malfunction the hammer wasn't cocked. Both suppressed and not. Ended up my pistol grip was loose. Tightened it down and loctite, issues all disappeared. Weird things happen I guess.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Pressure from the top round in a mag can cause extra friction on the bottom of the BCG, so if the M3 mags have more room or less resistance at full capacity than the M2, then that could make sense (not sure on that being the case or not). The suppressor slowing the carrier down, and seeing no difference with change in buffer weights, just seems super odd. I'm not sure on LMT's gas port size between a 14.5 and 11.5 either, but regardless the suppressor is what's really throwing me off lol. But I have no better ideas than what you have based on the info. So long as it works the way you run it, all good I suppose.

I just had my 11.5 throw me into a whirlwind recently. Started a weird feed malfunction out of nowhere and after a few thousand flawless rounds (malfunction was consistent, several times a magazine) and half of those times during the malfunction the hammer wasn't cocked. Both suppressed and not. Ended up my pistol grip was loose. Tightened it down and loctite, issues all disappeared. Weird things happen I guess.
View Quote

HAHA...yeah even with consistent standard variables, weird shit does happen.  I've had my grip come lose on a few occasions...never a malfunction related to it though.  I have all kinds of non-standard variables in these builds...So I made my own bed here lol.  That being said, I've been running this setup for about 6 years, so it's not been so troubling that I consider it broken.  One of these days, I'm going to quite being lazy and just address each possibility one at a time with a standard barrel to rule out my cut-down barrel, Colt lower/buffer-assembly to rule out the Vltor A5, Colt carrier to rule out the enhanced carrier, and my full size heavy gas-blowback  M4-2000 suppressor.

Eventually...I'll start a whole new process of building out these big boys...which will be interesting because I don't know squat about 308 gas guns lol

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]

HAHA...yeah even with consistent standard variables, weird shit does happen.  I've had my grip come lose on a few occasions...never a malfunction related to it though.  I have all kinds of non-standard variables in these builds...So I made my own bed here lol.  That being said, I've been running this setup for about 6 years, so it's not been so troubling that I consider it broken.  One of these days, I'm going to quite being lazy and just address each possibility one at a time with a standard barrel to rule out my cut-down barrel, Colt lower/buffer-assembly to rule out the Vltor A5, Colt carrier to rule out the enhanced carrier, and my full size heavy gas-blowback  M4-2000 suppressor.

Eventually...I'll start a whole new process of building out these big boys...which will be interesting because I don't know squat about 308 gas guns lol

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/mikecleonard/20200409_224046_zpsaw79sp5l.jpg
View Quote
Well good luck to you lol but hey, you know enough about 308 gas guns to know the MWS is the best great start there
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

You talk about how nice it shoots suppressed, and sometimes you just hit a "sweet" combination with suppressed setups.
For instance, a mid length 14.5" rifle I use with a SpecWar suppressor just seems to run perfectly, and it is even noticeably quieter than my other 14.5" rifles suppressed with the same can.
Now I, the shooter, don't really notice this difference, but other shooters have commented on it, and when doing a comparison with another person firing the weapon, damn, it is quieter.
Noticeably less noise from the ejection port.

Anyway, before your next range session, check out the lower for anything like bent trigger/hammer springs, flakey pins, loose grip (once, short stroking??), etc, popped primers can do weird things to springs/parts/components.
I know people swear by different recoil spring/buffers, but I have never had a gun that wouldn't run on a standard fresh recoil spring and a H or H2 buffer, standard M16 BCG, and 556 power ammo, suppressed or unsuppressed.
This is of course with MilSpec recoil ports, which seem increasingly rare today, I hate these overgassed but otherwise excellent quality barrels which seem all the rage today with the abundance of underpowered cheap ammo.
Even though guns need to be "run in" for maximum reliability, incompatibility/malfunction "events" always show up with more than one or two malfunctions per 100+ rounds.  Mostly, it might just need to be shot.
I'm like Hox, I love to hear about these "issues" on a proper weapon built with top tier components and operated with MilSpec ammo by intelligent operators.
Often, the "rhythm" of the weapon is just "off" and minor adjustments or component changes eliminate the problem which may be one of "oscillation."
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:06:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#10]

You talk about how nice it shoots suppressed, and sometimes you just hit a "sweet" combination with suppressed setups.
For instance, a mid length 14.5" rifle I use with a SpecWar suppressor just seems to run perfectly, and it is even noticeably quieter than my other 14.5" rifles suppressed with the same can.
Now I, the shooter, don't really notice this difference, but other shooters have commented on it, and when doing a comparison with another person firing the weapon, damn, it is quieter.
Noticeably less noise from the ejection port.
https://i.imgur.com/Imc1Qi1.jpg

snip
View Quote

I recently had this happen with my latest build.

BCM upper, Vltor A5 with A502 buffer and Ballistic Advantage 12.3 hanson barrel.

Here's the thing, the BA 12.3 arrived "defective" The gas port per BA is supposed to be .070 and I'm measuring it at .063-.064. Without a can I can only get it to run using NATO spec M193 and a standard carbine buffer and even then it doesn't always lock back at the end of a magazine. When I was troubleshooting the build (before I measured the gas port) I tried various combinations of parts in an attempt to figure out what was wrong and found out when you add in a Recce 5 suppressor and an A5 buffer system with the A502 it shoots at least as light as my BCM 16in middy that itself has an A5.

I like to pretend it's my poor man's Hodge

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:59:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#11]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:
I recently had this happen with my latest build.
BCM upper, Vltor A5 with A502 buffer and Ballistic Advantage 12.3 hanson barrel.
Here's the thing, the BA 12.3 arrived "defective" The gas port per BA is supposed to be .070 and I'm measuring it at .063-.064. Without a can I can only get it to run using NATO spec M183 and a standard carbine buffer and even then it doesn't always lock back at the end of a magazine. When I was troubleshooting the build (before I measured the gas port) I tried various combinations of parts in an attempt to figure out what was wrong and found out when you add in a Recce 5 suppressor and an A5 buffer system with the A502 it shoots at least as light as my BCM 16in middy that itself has an A5.
View Quote

Joe, you know back in the day we essentially never had discussions about barrel gas port size except in the rare case somebody like SMG-Lee or WES (or other custom builders) cutting down a barrel for some custom build.
It simply almost never came up.  I know you, as one with long experience remember this. It seemed the barrels that were for 556 ammo had 556 gas ports tailored to their length, and the barrels for 223 ammo had 223 gas ports tailored to their length.
Now I wouldn't think of installing a barrel without checking the gas port size, but 1 1/2 to 2 decades ago I never even considered it.
My old Bushmaster Varminter never was fed anything but proper 223 Silvertips or V-Max and I wouldn't shoot this ammo in a 556 chambered weapon for obvious reasons.
Now a weapon is labeled "defective" if it won't function with anything from the cheapest dirty anemic ComBloc steel case to hot loaded MK262 Mod0.
A lot of the younger guys won't believe this, but wow, were things simpler back then.  The fact that all these options exist now often make such troublesome combinations completely reliable is a good thing.
But it is complicated.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]

https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/mikecleonard/20200409_224046_zpsaw79sp5l.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sick start☝️
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Changed my light setup. Ditched the Streamlight HL-X for a bit of an upgrade. Modlite PLHv2 on the Surefire M600DF body, DS00 tailcap, SR07 switch modified to fit in the Cloud Defensive LCS for the Streamlight HL-X. I much prefer this setup. Also rit dyed my forward grip to match

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Changed my light setup. Ditched the Streamlight HL-X for a bit of an upgrade. Modlite PLHv2 on the Surefire M600DF body, DS00 tailcap, SR07 switch modified to fit in the Cloud Defensive LCS for the Streamlight HL-X. I much prefer this setup. Also rit dyed my forward grip to match

Before:
https://i.imgur.com/wXNlDUG.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/LB4zE4P.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/pfOX8Xn.jpg?1

After:
https://i.imgur.com/X5bq0KR.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/kPrGfNY.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/P6ML8yU.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/wREsEjP.jpg?1
View Quote

A frickin' perfect weapon.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#15]

A frickin' perfect weapon.
View Quote
Thanks! Ambi PRI gas buster on the way just to try out, would like the Eotech G45 5x magnifier when it starts shiipping, then I'm good so long as the EBCG runs well. Otherwise it'll be back to the KAC Sandcutter
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 3:51:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#16]
Thanks! Ambi PRI gas buster on the way just to try out, would like the Eotech G45 5x magnifier when it starts shiipping, then I'm good so long as the EBCG runs well. Otherwise it'll be back to the KAC Sandcutter
View Quote

I still have my original 3X Aimpoint magnifiers and while many seem to not like them I have never had a complaint and never saw any reason to upgrade.  Mounted on a flip mount, they are all I could ever want for a
SBR, granted on the 14.5" SBR with M4S, more mag could be marginally useful but I have never even tried the Aimpoint 6X.  This 5X seems interesting.  Keep us informed.

It's kind of like this endless discussion of LPVO vs ACOGs, granted 8X (or even 10X?) vs the 3.5 or 4X of the ACOG could give a "tactical" advantage but I always thought that's what you carried 10X range finding binoculars for.
Maybe some of these guys think their 12.5" "Recce" with 1-10X LPVO is going to allow them to make 800 meter sniper shots, but reality may hit them harder than their SBRs bullet will the target at 800 meters.

Never leave home without them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]

I still have my original 3X Aimpoint magnifiers and while many seem to not like them I have never had a complaint and never saw any reason to upgrade.  Mounted on a flip mount, they are all I could ever want for a
SBR, granted on the 14.5" SBR with M4S, more mag could be marginally useful but I have never even tried the Aimpoint 6X.  This 5X seems interesting.  Keep us informed.

It's kind of like this endless discussion of LPVO vs ACOGs, granted 8X (or even 10X?) vs the 3.5 or 4X of the ACOG could give a "tactical" advantage but I always that's what you carried 10X range finding binoculars for.
Maybe some of these guys think their 12.5" "Recce" with 1-10X LPVO is going to allow them to make 800 meter sniper shots, but reality may hit them harder than their SBRs bullet will the target at 800 meters.

Never leave home without them.
View Quote
Binos are always in my truck as well. I liked the 3x g33 magnifiers I had in the past, better than an LPVO setup because i can take the magnification off and save the weight if I desired. 5x makes more sense to me than 3x, because I'll be using it as much for PID as shooting, and 3x didn't seem worth the weight to me. We'll see!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Binos are always in my truck as well. I liked the 3x g33 magnifiers I had in the past, better than an LPVO setup because i can take the magnification off and save the weight if I desired. 5x makes more sense to me than 3x, because I'll be using it as much for PID as shooting, and 3x didn't seem worth the weight to me. We'll see!
View Quote

Definitely keep us informed, brother.

And you, and everyone else have a great Easter!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Definitely keep us informed, brother.

And you, and everyone else have a great Easter!
View Quote
Will do, thank you, you do the same!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Finishied this guy after waiting on Geissele to send me a mount for 3 months, finally cancelled and found a Leupold Mark 6 mount, 18" SS w/ Leupold Mark 5HD Tremor 3 reticle...

" />

Still love this open sighted configuration...

" />
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:03:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: domestique1] [#21]

Before:
https://i.imgur.com/wXNlDUG.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/LB4zE4P.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/pfOX8Xn.jpg?1

After:
https://i.imgur.com/X5bq0KR.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/kPrGfNY.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/P6ML8yU.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/wREsEjP.jpg?1
View Quote

@Hox

Nice package.

Just a FYI. The owner of Modlite commented on the FB group that the newer lights (SF Dual Fuel, Modlite, CD Rein, etc) that use 18650 batteries are losing 15% of their power when used with SF pressure pads  The pads were designed around CR123 batteries, and can't handle/limit the current from 18650 batteries.

To maximize your output you really need a TAPS SYNC, MOD button or HOT button.

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 11:31:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hox] [#22]
Originally Posted By domestique1:

@Hox

Nice package.

Just a FYI. The owner of Modlite commented on the FB group that the newer lights (SF Dual Fuel, Modlite, CD Rein, etc) that use 18650 batteries are losing 15% of their power when used with SF pressure pads  The pads were designed around CR123 batteries, and can't handle/limit the current from 18650 batteries.

To maximize your output you really need a TAPS SYNC, MOD button or HOT button.

View Quote
Thank you

I've read this but I can't tell any difference while using the tape switch vs the clicky tail cap. I posed that question in a modlite thread here and it went unanswered. I found it weird that Unity never used that as a marketing ploy with the hot button but Modlite is. I would like to see someone measure output with a device, with and without a tape switch. My eyes cannot tell any difference.

I like the surefire switch because its large, offers momentary and constant, and is independent from the light. These small single button switches or switches tied to the light aren't really what I'm looking for, unfortunately. They are nice for those trying to save space, but I want access to it from as many hand positions as possible personally. Not to mention, there is clearance issue around a front right using the Modlite switch.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#23]

I know I’m probably in the minority, but I wish Leupold would make this in the following configuration in the MK5 series as niche optic for a 5.56 Recce or a 7.62 lighter SPR build. New Leupold MK5HD 1-6, FFP, H27D or similar Horus-ish reticle with a fine center crosshair for dialing, Lockable ZeroStop .1 milrad exposed turrets, daylight bright dot, 17 oz optic. Niche, Yeti, 💴💴💴. 🙏
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Sabre675:
https://i.imgur.com/OFHFtdU.png

I know I’m probably in the minority, but I wish Leupold would make this in the following configuration in the MK5 series as niche optic for a 5.56 Recce or a 7.62 lighter SPR build. New Leupold MK5HD 1-6, FFP, H27D or similar Horus-ish reticle with a fine center crosshair for dialing, Lockable ZeroStop .1 milrad exposed turrets, daylight bright dot, 17 oz optic. Niche, Yeti, 💴💴💴. 🙏
View Quote

I would really like something like that for my ACC or one of my 556 guns.

The vortex 1-10 is like 17oz as well. Would like to see something in the 12oz weight zone

With that being said. If it's the same weight as the vortex, I would still be interested if it had a great eye box/exit pupil.

From what I heard on a p&s modcast yesterday, leupold got some game changers in the pipeline
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:33:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sabre675] [#25]
@m4hk33. No I have the vortex 1-10 and it is is just shy of 22 oz. I’ll have to listen to the podcast what episode was it?  I’m trying to hold off on my 5.56 rifle. I know if I purchase an optic, someone is going to make what I really want...
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#26]
@m4hk33. No I have the vortex 1-10 and it is is just shy of 22 oz. I’ll have to listen to the podcast what episode was it?  I’m trying to hold off on my 5.56 rifle. I know if I purchase an optic, someone is going to make what I really want...
View Quote

Ahh.  For some reason I thought it was lighter

Pretty sure it was mentioned by steve fisher in episode 235
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:41:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#27]
Another old pick for posterity.
Excellent LT rings with NSX 3.5-15X50.

With the MRP 16" SS 1/7 barrel, a real sharpshooter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#28]
At this point it's amusing how quickly the EBCGs sell on Primary Arms when they come back in stock. I've checked 4 notifications within 30 minutes of receiving the email each time and they're already sold out

I know that it was discussed previously, but there are 112 pages and I haven't found it with search... Regarding the rifle length 5.56 MRP uppers, does anyone know the stripped weights on the MLOK and Pic rail variants? Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Are the 16" 556 barrels with the pinned bayonet lug any more valuable than a standard 16" barrel?

I ordered a regular CL 16" barrel for my rifle length MRP and ended up receiving one with the bayonet lug, which doesn't fit the rifle length upper.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Jeepsnguns81:
Are the 16" 556 barrels with the pinned bayonet lug any more valuable than a standard 16" barrel?

I ordered a regular CL 16" barrel for my rifle length MRP and ended up receiving one with the bayonet lug, which doesn't fit the rifle length upper.
View Quote

I mean I'll be happy to buy it from you
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Jeepsnguns81:

View Quote

I bought the NZ barrel about two years ago when LMT sold them on a sale for $200 a piece. I decided to sell it still new in the plastic box about 6 months ago and put it on the EE. Asked $400 and got about 4 replies in under an hour of people wanting it. So I would say yes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:15:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#32]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:

I bought the NZ barrel about two years ago when LMT sold them on a sale for $200 a piece. I decided to sell it still new in the plastic box about 6 months ago and put it on the EE. Asked $400 and got about 4 replies in under an hour of people wanting it. So I would say yes.
View Quote

Two Hundred Apiece!  Damnation, where was I?

Another old pic.

Add in an Atlas bipod, some 77gr match ammo, the suppressor and great fun for various "newbies" shooting up targets at the range.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Tengo1:

View Quote

That was a good deal.  I paid a little over $400 after tax and shipping for the one I just got.  I contacted the vendor this morning and they got back to me only minutes later and are helping me get what I need.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Two Hundred Apiece!  Damnation, where was I?

Another old pic.

https://i.imgur.com/U1mCi7p.jpg

Add in an Atlas bipod, some 77gr match ammo, the suppressor and great fun for various "newbies" shooting up targets at the range.
View Quote

Guessing you were using a Gemtech can(?) Still using it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Got the package back from @unclemoak over the weekend and was just waiting on a few additional final parts to wrap this one up.

Started with a 10.5" 300blk barrel from rosco mfg. unclemoak gave it the some MRP love and then a chop to "flush" fit the thunder chicken to the rail.

Came out fantastic and took only 8 days from ship date back to my doorstep.

and then all together

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By monsonman:
Got the package back from @unclemoak over the weekend and was just waiting on a few additional final parts to wrap this one up.

Started with a 10.5" 300blk barrel from rosco mfg. unclemoak gave it the some MRP love and then a chop to "flush" fit the thunder chicken to the rail.

Came out fantastic and took only 8 days from ship date back to my doorstep.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49777605992_62dac7ffa8_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49777605942_dc290e5994_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49750410096_2f7e317d0b_b.jpg

and then all together

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49775989207_1aa24e19e4_h.jpg
View Quote
Nice! That's good turn around time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 4:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin907] [#37]
Originally Posted By slipjett:

Guessing you were using a Gemtech can(?) Still using it?
View Quote

SpecWar II, great can.  Yep, works perfectly.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#38]

I have a 16" at Dave Wilson's right now. He is going to cut it flush with a SLK8 rifle length rail for me. I'm not sure what the total length will be, it's going on a SBR, so I was more worried about aesthetics with my suppressor then meeting an OAL.

View Quote

How did this turn out? How does it shoot? How’s the reliability so far?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:22:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sabre675] [#39]
Got a package from Marvin Pitts of Nefarious Arms. LMT 13.8/13.9" 5R KAC Ball Milled Barrel. Svelte like it’s siblings. Still a ways to go for optic and mount.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Did anyone else notice that the silhouette of the AR on the thumbnail of Arfcom's latest video is an NZ16?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Got a package from Marvin Pitts of Nefarious Arms. LMT 14.5 5R KAC Ball Milled Barrel. Svelte like it’s siblings. Still a ways to go for optic and mount. https://i.imgur.com/mvtBrUx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5HkAhkA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/W9e8Z9b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JDKdC7x.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/T5lBSyd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HnAhX75.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1F084KQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eXzyAJM.jpg
View Quote

Pretty
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By M4ger:

Pretty
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4ger:
Got a package from Marvin Pitts of Nefarious Arms. LMT 14.5 5R KAC Ball Milled Barrel. Svelte like it’s siblings. Still a ways to go for optic and mount. https://i.imgur.com/mvtBrUx.jpg

Pretty

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Ohmagerd...that's awesome...what length did the barrel start out as and how long did it take Marvin?
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sabre675] [#44]
Originally Posted By slipjett:

Ohmagerd...that's awesome...what length did the barrel start out as and how long did it take Marvin?
View Quote

Thanks for the compliments fellas.

Well, the barrel I wavered on back and forth. I wanted a nice recce. I was just going to get a 16" C/L and have the work done. With the Xmas Sale from LMT, I flash purchased the 18" 5R SS barrel. In hindsight, given the form that it has taken on, I should have just went C/L beings I bastardized the barrel. Hopefully it patterns favorably for a mini-ish recce.

As far as length. I had initially had discussion with Marvin about making a C/L into a 13.7 Mid-length. However it was agreed that the Surefire Socom Brake @2.7", wouldn't work so if it were executed it would be at 13.8" or whatever made it work. Prior shipping it off I advised I would specify as to 14.5 or 13.? upon shipping. I never did specify. I didn't realize he had shortened below 14.5" until last night when another individual brought it up. It is definitely shorter than 14.5 and I would speculate it is at 13.8/13.9".

So now I'm concerned that I negated any accuracy potential that the blank initially possessed. Secondly, I'm concerned that a suppressor won't attach.

I wanted to put it on paper before I sent it off for comparative data, but, I was extremely busy at work and I didn't have any decent ammunition for the blanks potential. Additionally I wish I had data on the blanks weight and the rifle as a whole prior to the work.

Kind of a ready, fire, aim project, despite a lot of thought going into the rifle. Trying to have all the cake and eating it to. It is very aesthetically pleasing as far as form goes. Function is to be determined. As far as feel in the hand though, it feels amazing. Man I hope it still shoots well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 2:41:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: domestique1] [#45]

Thanks for the compliments fellas.

Well, the barrel I wavered on back and forth. I wanted a nice recce. I was just going to get a 16" C/L and have the work done. With the Xmas Sale from LMT, I flash purchased the 18" 5R SS barrel. In hindsight, given the form that it has taken on, I should have just went C/L beings I bastardized the barrel. Hopefully it patterns favorably for a mini-ish recce.

As far as length. I had initially had discussion with Marvin about making a C/L into a 13.7 Mid-length. However it was agreed that the Surefire Socom Brake @2.7", wouldn't work so if it were executed it would be at 13.8" or whatever made it work. Prior shipping it off I advised I would specify as to 14.5 or 13.? upon shipping. I never did specify. I didn't realize he had shortened below 14.5" until last night when another individual brought it up. It is definitely shorter than 14.5 and I would speculate it is at 13.8/13.9".

So now I'm concerned that I negated any accuracy potential that the blank initially possessed. Secondly, I'm concerned that a suppressor won't attach.

I wanted to put it on paper before I sent it off for comparative data, but, I was extremely busy at work and I didn't have any decent ammunition for the blanks potential. Additionally I wish I had data on the blanks weight and the rifle as a whole prior to the work.

Kind of a ready, fire, aim project, despite a lot of thought going into the rifle. Trying to have all the cake and eating it to. It is very aesthetically pleasing as far as form goes. Function is to be determined. As far as feel in the hand though, it feels amazing. Man I hope it still shoots well.
View Quote

Dave chopped my barrel to 13.8" for a flush fit with a SF suppressor. You should be fine attaching a can.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Dave chopped my barrel to 13.8" for a flush fit with a SF suppressor. You should be fine attaching a can.
View Quote

Great news! Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 4:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: domestique1] [#47]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

View Quote

@emtothedee
@Sabre75

Turned out really nice.  I've only shot M193 and handloaded 70gr. Barnes, but sub moa with handloads, and reliable both suppressed and not. I'm really glad I went with a 16" to keep the mid length gas tube.

13.8" chopped down from a factory 16".

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sabre675] [#48]

@emtothedee
@Sabre75

Turned out really nice.  I've only shot M193 and handloaded 70gr. Barnes, but sub moa with handloads, and reliable both suppressed and not. I'm really glad I went with a 16" to keep the mid length gas tube.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49790348337_879acb2fec_k.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

@emtothedee
@Sabre75

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49790348337_879acb2fec_k.jpg

It’s beautiful and well executed. Is yours C/L or stainless? Did you have to experiment with buffers or springs for suppression? Any extraction pattern tests or issues with bolt locking back? Sorry, I’m anxious for any data.

I can’t tell you what a relief it is to have feedback from someone with a similar build concept. I wasn’t sure if conceptual and functional would be synonymous with my build. Yet here yours is, conveniently, when mine is coming to fruition, just as I’m having doubts. What are the chances.

Please keep me posted on data as it accumulates. I don’t think I’ll be loading to feed mine, but I’ve no idea what to feed it and it will be some time before I get to continue with the build. Previous builds and obligations have exhausted resources.

Hopefully an off the shelf load will perform. I’m assuming when you’re referencing the m193 it is in regards purely to functionality. I’m curious though as to how it patterned....Is there a similar load to your hand load? I was assuming that I would have to run MK262 to realize the barrels potential. Going back through another thread it was recommend to me to run Hornady 55 grain vmax ammunition also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#49]

It’s beautiful and well executed. Is yours C/L or stainless? Did you have to experiment with buffers or springs for suppression? Any extraction pattern tests or issues with bolt locking back? Sorry, I’m anxious for any data.

I can’t tell you what a relief it is to have feedback from someone with a similar build concept. I wasn’t sure if conceptual and functional would be synonymous with my build. Yet here yours is, conveniently, when mine is coming to fruition, just as I’m having doubts. What are the chances.

Please keep me posted on data as it accumulates. I don’t think I’ll be loading to feed mine, but I’ve no idea what to feed it and it will be some time before I get to continue with the build. Previous builds and obligations have exhausted resources.

Hopefully an off the shelf load will perform. I’m assuming when you’re referencing the m193 it is in regards purely to functionality. I’m curious though as to how it patterned....Is there a similar load to your hand load? I was assuming that I would have to run MK262 to realize the barrels potential. Going back through another thread it was recommend to me to run Hornady 55 grain vmax ammunition also.
View Quote

Mine is a LMT Chrome lined (factory 16" gas port). I'm currently running just a stock KAC buffer spring, and a KAC SR15 buffer. No reliability issues at all (reliable bolt lock back), minimal gas, ejection pattern was at 3-4 if I recall correctly. The BCG was from my spare parts bin, and I believe is an unmarked Daniel Defense BCG that I bought during the Sandy Hook craze. I thought I was using a H2 buffer, next time I shoot it I'll try a H and H2.

Yes, M193 was used to zero and test basic factory load function. I do have some MK262, but honestly have never been too impressed with it in other builds. I'll have to try it in this barrel. I honestly was in a rush and not shooting for groups, primarily zeroing. The 70gr. barnes TSX was averaging 2,600 fps and grouping sub 1.25" MOA and better, but I was in a rush and wasn't keeping my targets.

Overall, I'm really happy with overall package. I do plan on adding a light, rail covers, and a SF mini-2 once it's approved.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Mine is a LMT Chrome lined (factory 16" gas port). I'm currently running just a stock KAC buffer spring, and a KAC SR15 buffer. No reliability issues at all (reliable bolt lock back), minimal gas, ejection pattern was at 3-4 if I recall correctly. The BCG was from my spare parts bin, and I believe is an unmarked Daniel Defense BCG that I bought during the Sandy Hook craze. I thought I was using a H2 buffer, next time I shoot it I'll try a H and H2.

Yes, M193 was used to zero and test basic factory load function. I do have some MK262, but honestly have never been too impressed with it in other builds. I'll have to try it in this barrel. I honestly was in a rush and not shooting for groups, primarily zeroing. The 70gr. barnes TSX was averaging 2,600 fps and grouping sub 1.25" MOA and better, but I was in a rush and wasn't keeping my targets.

Overall, I'm really happy with overall package. I do plan on adding a light, rail covers, and a SF mini-2 once it's approved.

View All Quotes

Great! Thank you very much for taking the time and the detailed response.

I look forward to further posts and pictures of your build.

Hopefully I’ll have my own data in the not too distant future.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 1 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top