Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 6:12:38 AM EDT
I'm looking for an 18" stainless barrel with a rifle length gas system.  Accuracy is paramount for this project.  Options?

I've seen the 18" SS barrel from BCM which looks nice, any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Lots of these threads popping up lately.  I'm running the 16" SS410 barrel.  I've had good results.  A list of the usual go to brands would include Noveske, Ranier Arms Ultramatch, Centurian, White Oak, Superior Barrels, etc.  Take your pick.  All will shoot more accurately than you can.  I believe that when you get to this caliber of barrels, your choice could just as well be based on which one you think has the coolest name.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The other thing that's important is that it have a 5.56 chamber or .223 Wylde chamber as opposed to a plain .223 chamber.

The BCM seems to be one hell of a barrel for the money.  The Noveske barrels are fan-fucking-tastic (I used to have a 16") but they're rather expensive and they don't offer any in 18" with rifle gas.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#3]
The Noveskes certainly do live up to the hype, for the most part.  They won't turn a crappy shooter into a good one though.  Although they aren't available with the rifle length gas system, they are available with their proprietary intermediate length gas system.  It falls sort of in between a middie and rifle length.  The only thing that turns me off about that is the gas tube, or getting a replacement.  I'd order a couple, just in case.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I got this one last week but have not had a chance to put any rounds through it yet.

Rainier Arms UltraMatch™ 5.56MM Barrel - 18.5 SPR
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=815
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Noveskes certainly do live up to the hype, for the most part.  They won't turn a crappy shooter into a good one though.  Although they aren't available with the rifle length gas system, they are available with their proprietary intermediate length gas system.  It falls sort of in between a middie and rifle length.  The only thing that turns me off about that is the gas tube, or getting a replacement.  I'd order a couple, just in case.

Noveske makes barrels in carbine and mid-length.  You can use any spec gas tube on the market.  I have a 14.5" Afghan and love it.  By far the most accurate black rifle I have shot.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noveske makes barrels in carbine and mid-length.  You can use any spec gas tube on the market.  I have a 14.5" Afghan and love it.  By far the most accurate black rifle I have shot.

They also offer 18" barrels with intermediate length gas systems.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Pro,

Go to Krieger direct.  It'll take six months but it's exactly what you're looking for–– but heavy.

What happened with your Larue Stealth Upper?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:33:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey Pro,

Go to Krieger direct.  It'll take six months but it's exactly what you're looking for–– but heavy.

What happened with your Larue Stealth Upper?

1. Can't wait 6 months for this project.
2. Heavy contour is no good.  Some sort of midweight contour is what I'm looking for.
3. Still have my Stealth.  Looking to build another upper with rifle length gas though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#9]
If you wouldn't mind 20" and a standard .223 chamber how about Lilja and their AR740 barrel

AR740: .975" diameter in front of the barrel extension with the Wasp section turned to a diameter of .750" and then tapering back up to .975" diameter at the gas block. The gas block section is turned to .750" and from the gas block to the muzzle the diameter is .740". The barrel length is 20" including the barrel extension and is set for a rifle-length gas system. The muzzle end is threaded .500" x 28 TPI (threading is not shown in this image). Weight is 2.60 pounds. Engraved: Lilja AR .223 8T

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/ar.htm
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Superior Barrels: 18" SPR barrel: 'Terebratus', with Hard Blue:

From their web site:

Terebratus is an Ancient Greek word meaning to 'pierce or bore', into the skull. This is a rifle length gas system. The profile has been looked over by OPS Inc and uses the dimensions called for, as of December 16th, 2009, for the 12th model suppressor.

* M4 extension.
   * Rifle length gas system.
   * .223 wylde chamber.
   * 11 degree target crown.
   * Douglas premium air gaged 1:7 blank, a TRUE match blank.
   * Threaded muzzle.
   * Dimple 180 degrees from the gas port for better location of gas port with gas block/FSB.
   * Hard Blue for long lasting performance and accuracy.
   * 2lbs., 8.8oz. (40.8 oz.)

link
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got this one last week but have not had a chance to put any rounds through it yet.

Rainier Arms UltraMatch™ 5.56MM Barrel - 18.5 SPR
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=815

+1 on the Rainier.   I have the same barrel and it shoots very well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:22:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Rainier, Superior, or Nov.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#13]
What about this barrel?

DPMS Mark 12 Barrel 18"
Description
18" 416 Stainless Steel
Heavy Contour
Teflon Coated Black
6 Grooves, Right-Hand Twist, Button Rifled
Chambered in 5.56 NATO
1-8 Twist
Compatible with a Rifle Length Gas System
Threaded for compensator/flash hiders
Barrel Weight: 2.65 lbs
Aluminum Single Rail Gas Block Included
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, not to start a brand war, but that part about being a DPMS didn't instill confidence.  That part about having a 5.56 chamber does not indicate a focus on accuracy.  If accuracy is paramount, as was said, look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, not to start a brand war, but that part about being a DPMS didn't instill confidence.  That part about having a 5.56 chamber does not indicate a focus on accuracy.  If accuracy is paramount, as was said, look elsewhere.

Those two and the fact that it's a heavy contour.

ETA: I think I may just get a complete upper from JP.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're going to start contemplating just getting a whole upper (and are willing to pay JP prices), you should at least call White Oak and Superior Barrels.  I believe that Superior will guarantee sub MOA if they build the upper.  I think they base this on the use of some flavor of round loaded with a 77gr SMK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top