Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2008 7:46:45 AM EDT
Successfully installed a new UBR.  Hardest part was buying the proper tools.
I get the stock on, and I see this spring lying on the seat of a chair near the box that my UBR came in.
It is not my buffer detent spring, but appears to be roughly the same size (I didn't unscrew the new buffer tube to see if is exactly the same as my spring).

Any ideas?

Couldn't resist using the 20 round PMAG as a backdrop.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#1]
looks like the buffer retainer spring... maybe they sent you an extra?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The first thing I did was call Magpul.  Doug said that, while anything is possible, he wasn't aware of Magpul intentionally including extra springs.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The first thing I did was call Magpul.  Doug said that, while anything is possible, he wasn't aware of Magpul intentionally including extra springs.  

Someone, somewhere is cussing because he is missing a spring.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Just outta curiosity, what are the required tools?  I have a stock wrench... isn't that all you need?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You need a stock wrench, you can use a torque wrench to torque the tube to the recommended setting (i did, just cause I bought the damn thing) and a flat-head screw driver.  Having access to a vice made removing the LMT-staked castle nut a breeze.
If you want to "set" the UBR to deploy to a certain setting, or if you want to remove the doors, you'll need allen wrenches, and that's it.

It is actually pretty easy- if I had it to do over again, I'd have taped the tube wrench section of my stock wrench with duct tape, as the nut-portion of the tube sustained some marks, but otherwise (other than possibly, the fact that a spring may have sprung from the UBR, as unliely as this may be) you'd never know that it wasn't professionally installed.  

Hm..... not that I think about it, I should probably have asked the seller about the spring....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
What?  Yours had springs?  I have to go pick up Buffer Retaining Pin/Spring, Takedown Pin Spring and Detent, Carbine Buffer and Action Spring.  This was my first AR, so I didn't have any of these laying around or left over.  =-/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top