Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2007 9:14:57 AM EDT
Well I finally was able to get out and try to break in the new upper. I was very impressed with the fit and finish on this upper. We got to the range to find the wind blowing around 15-20 with gusts over 20mph. It was blowing from about 1 o-clock.

I sighted in my ACOG pretty quick and I was on the paper in less than 10 rounds. I stepped away from the shooting bench to reload and my buddy knocked it off the bench to the concrete below In the process my ACOG impacted the ground, gouges out of my Bushmaster lower near the mag well, the front sight gouged and the flash hider as well. I was not happy to say the least. I know the ACOG's are tough and this impact did not change the zero

After a few more rounds (I was using Q3131 Winchester) I was able to close up and get my groups down to 1-1.5" (with 10 rounds ). I think with some more time and less wind I could close that up a little more. I was not shooting as well as I usually do, I think my weapon hitting the ground shook me a little bit. I did shoot at some steel out to 600 yards. I hit everything up to 400 yards with no issues, the BDC is a little off beyond 400. I'm still trying to learn the ACOG. The wind was messing with me some at 5-600. A few adjustments and I was able to hit 8-9 out of 10. Not too bad considering the conditions I think.

Overall I am very impressed with this upper and I would recommend it to anyone that is thinking about purchasing one.

Some of the impact damage to my ACOG

Barrel profile

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Chrome-lined or stainless?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry Chrome lined. I'll edit my post...
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a keeper!

Did you smack your buddy?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
No, but I should have...of course he claimed that the wind blew my 8 pound rifle off of the bench
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No, but I should have...of course he claimed that the wind blew my 8 pound rifle off of the bench

You handled it better than I would have.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Well the damage was done and what could I do? Hitting him would have not made it any better. I could make him buy me new parts, but I had my back turned when it fell. He denied right away that he touched it when he was hunched over like he went to look at it. Oh well it has battle scars now Now both my AR's have some character.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of these same uppers on the way. It is supposed to arrive soon.

I'm glad to hear you like yours. You make me feel like I made the right decision.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be the first to say it - Where's the pics???
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm still at work and the camera is at home...I'll post them when I get home.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm still at work and the camera is at home...I'll post them when I get home.

What happened to the pics?  Don't tell me you let your buddy hold your digital camera.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You handled it better than I would have.

+ a ton

sorry, my buddy may have had to spend some time down range after that

glad you got a shooter.

I'm looking to rebarrel an upper of mine with a midlength 18".  CMT upper, DD 12" rail, just need a new barrel.

if you don't mind, what'd you give for the barrel?

ETA: saw that you bought a complete upper.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys I'm on a business trip in Birmingham. I got busy and I just spaced on posting pics before I left. I'll post them when I get home on Monday I promise!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Pics are up now...sorry for the delay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top