Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 2:20:20 PM EDT
I'm going to be in the market for a new custom upper and was looking at CMT and LMT as options for the upper A4 receiver and complete bolt groups.  I was wondering which one is the better option and what the +'s and -'s are of each?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Just the receiver? LMT no longer sells the receiver separately so you will have some trouble finding them. They are out there though. CMT are available all over. I've had 3 LMT's in my hands and 7 or 8 CMT's. In general the CMT's were finished better.

As far as BCG's go, both are good, not much difference. One difference is that the CMT is available from many vendors with a MP tested bolt. I don't believe the LMT is MP'ed, its not marked anyway.

I use CMT uppers and CMT M16 carriers with CMT MP tested bolts in my builds.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't buy stripped LMT uppers anymore (except used on the EE) but even if you could, their is no point. The CMT is just as good and less expensive. I doubt you would see much if any difference in BCG but it seems like its easier to find LMT M16 carriers (All the CMTs I've seen have been AR15 type).
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just the receiver? LMT no longer sells the receiver separately so you will have some trouble finding them. They are out there though. CMT are available all over. I've had 3 LMT's in my hands and 7 or 8 CMT's. In general the CMT's were finished better.

I own both LMT and CMT uppers. The CMT uppers do have a better finish. Otherwise quality is the same. I like to use LMT uppers if I can though only because I have a few LMT (not LCW) lowers.

As far as BCG's go, both are good, not much difference. One difference is that the CMT is available from many vendors with a MP tested bolt. I don't believe the LMT is MP'ed, its not marked anyway.
The LMT is MP tested as well. IMHO, the LMT is a better assembly, especially out of the box. The LMT includes the Crane O ring and the black bumper (at least all of mine have). I know that none of my CMT BCG's have included the O ring. I'm not sure if they came with the black or blue bumper though. I'd have to double check. The main reason that I prefer the LMT is the carrier key bolt staking. The CMT staking is probably just fine (although I always restake my CMT key bolts) but the LMT is done correctly and does not require restaking even if you are very anal about how your key bolts are staked. Generally te LMT is about $10 more than an MP tested CMT. That's a pretty small difference on the whole.

I use both LMT and CMT uppers and M16 BCG's in my builds. Any combination of these parts will serve you well.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own both LMT and CMT uppers. The CMT uppers do have a better finish. Otherwise quality is the same. I like to use LMT uppers if I can though only because I have a few LMT (not LCW) lowers.

The LMT is MP tested as well. IMHO, the LMT is a better assembly, especially out of the box. The LMT includes the Crane O ring and the black bumper (at least all of mine have). I know that none of my CMT BCG's have included the O ring. I'm not sure if they came with the black or blue bumper though. I'd have to double check. The main reason that I prefer the LMT is the carrier key bolt staking. The CMT staking is probably just fine (although I always restake my CMT key bolts) but the LMT is done correctly and does not require restaking even if you are very anal about how your key bolts are staked. Generally te LMT is about $10 more than an MP tested CMT. That's a pretty small difference on the whole.

I use both LMT and CMT uppers and M16 BCG's in my builds. Any combination of these parts will serve you well.

I've never seen any proof that I can recall that stated LMT bolts were MP'd so if they are that's great. It would be nice if they were marked.

You are correct about staking of the key, I always restake the key on the CMT as well. I also add the o-ring myself as I have a bunch of them. The finish on the both seem to be equal.

The CMT BCG are less expensive and more available then the LMT. Same as the receivers. I dont run LMT lowers so I have no need to run LMT uppers. I've been using GTS lowers and the CMT uppers fit perfectly. Color match is decent also.

I had 3 complete LMT M4 uppers and I've sold them all. I bought into the hype and wasn't that impressed. No park under the FSB, straight pins instead of dowels and average finish on the uppers made me change my direction. I now build all my own uppers using selected parts starting with CMT uppers. YMMV

Am I anal and somewhat a "gucci gear" type builder? Yeah I guess so. I've been building for 9 years now and most of that was low buck junk through college and the ban years. Today is a new age in AR building so many options and I'm done building junk and settling for something a little cheaper.

Oh and rebby when you get the Mopar running, you can run me in my Nova
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had 3 complete LMT M4 uppers and I've sold them all. I bought into the hype and wasn't that impressed. No park under the FSB, straight pins instead of dowels and average finish on the uppers made me change my direction. I now build all my own uppers using selected parts starting with CMT uppers. YMMV

That would be why I get stripped uppers and build on those. They are getting hard to find though. I saw two on the EE last night go in less than 5 minutes. I found the threads 5 minutes later. Doh! I really like the CMT uppers though so I'm going to keep using them even on my LMT lowers. It just looks like something is missing on my LMT's w/out the engravings on the upper. That doens't affect the function though so I'll get over it. I suppose that I could always just start getting lowers from Denny instead. I'd like to see one in person first though. From the pics, they look as good or better than my LMT's. That's a topic of discussion for another thread though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That would be why I get stripped uppers and build on those. They are getting hard to find though. I saw two on the EE last night go in less than 5 minutes. I found the threads 5 minutes later. Doh! I really like the CMT uppers though so I'm going to keep using them even on my LMT lowers. It just looks like something is missing on my LMT's w/out the engravings on the upper. That doens't affect the function though so I'll get over it. I suppose that I could always just start getting lowers from Denny instead. I'd like to see one in person first though. From the pics, they look as good or better than my LMT's. That's a topic of discussion for another thread though.

If I had LMT lowers I'd want to use LMT uppers as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
....(All the CMTs I've seen have been AR15 type).

Grant at G&R has the CMT M-16 bolt & carrier groups, MP tested, on his site for $130.00. That's were I ordered mine from.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
....(All the CMTs I've seen have been AR15 type).

Grant at G&R has the CMT M-16 bolt & carrier groups, MP tested, on his site for $130.00. That's were I ordered mine from.

Bravo and Denny's also stock them.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Lmt complete uppers?

like the M4 14.5 1/7 twist  

1/7 twist was a reason I bought LMT upper. Plus was Told buy alot of guys HERE that they are the BEST?

CMT is 1/9 I think? maybe you can  order 1/7 twist

Im sure Bravo company can let ya know everything just Email for Fast reply

EDIT FOR DUMB ASS

BRAVO COMPANY SELLS LMT UPPERS w/BARREL ETC!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Lmt complete uppers?

1/7 twist was a reason I bought LMT upper. Plus was Told buy alot of guys HERE that they are the BEST?

Bravo is using CMT upper receivers with their BCM 1-7 twist barrels.

Correct, Stag complete uppers are 1-9 twist. Also I think they are 4140 steel not 4150. Not positive on that though.

LMT the best? Not in my opinion. I had a few complete uppers, being the picky fuck I am, I was turned off by the lack of park under the FSB, straight pins instead of taper pins and I also had some finish issues with one of the upper receivers. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've never seen any proof that I can recall that stated LMT bolts were MP'd so if they are that's great. It would be nice if they were marked.

Why bother marking them when they MP each barrel and BCG.  I would agree that it would matter if they only did it selectively.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why bother marking them when they MP each barrel and BCG.  I would agree that it would matter if they only did it selectively.  

So you know what it is and not an RRA or DPMS or whatever. Colt marks all of theirs.

Good point though. No point in marking them if you are testing all of them, just added cost.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why bother marking them when they MP each barrel and BCG. I would agree that it would matter if they only did it selectively.

Bushmaster<>LMT, Stag and Colt
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why bother marking them when they MP each barrel and BCG. I would agree that it would matter if they only did it selectively.

Bushmaster<>LMT, Stag and Colt

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lmt complete uppers?

Correct, Stag complete uppers are 1-9 twist. Also I think they are 4140 steel not 4150. Not positive on that though.

LMT the best? Not in my opinion. I had a few complete uppers, being the picky fuck I am, I was turned off by the lack of park under the FSB, straight pins instead of taper pins and I also had some finish issues with one of the upper receivers. YMMV.

Thats wierd Im sure my LMT 14.5 upper came from Paul at Bravo company? PLZ

Wich is 1/7 twist !        Better Park would be nice? other than that I stand by what I said!

try to remember its Your opinion !
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Lmt complete uppers?

Thats wierd Im sure my LMT 14.5 upper came from Paul at Bravo company? PLZ

Wich is 1/7 twist !        Better Park would be nice? other than that I stand by what I said!

try to remember its Your opinion !

Oh yeah, I understand the concept of an opinion and what they are like.

Two of the three LMT's I had were from Paul as well.

I replaced them with a CMT upper with a Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel from skich.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats Great!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Better Park would be nice

I never understood all the fuss that is made out of park under the front sight base.
If you are USING the rifle with the front sight base INSTALLED, what difference does it make?

Now, I can understand if you wanted to pull off the FSB and use a smaller gas block like a PRI and the barrel is ugly where there is no park.
There's also a solution for that though... LaRue.

No fuss, just an anal SOB.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Comp1911

Tell me about the Colt M4A1 SOCOM BARREL??

Is it different from the regular M4 barrels?

Also Can one special order from CMT a 1/7 twist Barrel?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Comp1911

Tell me about the Colt M4A1 SOCOM BARREL??

Is it different from the regular M4 barrels?

Also Can one special order from CMT a 1/7 twist Barrel?

The M4A1 barrel is a midweight that was introduced due to problems with the light weights having trouble with FA dumps.

Link to Skich EE ad for Colt SOCOM barrels

Stag did a limited run of 1-7 complete 14.5 uppers last winter. Not sure if you can special order them. I'd kinda doubt it though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top