Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 1:57:19 AM EDT
I am interested in a new upper built around the Noveske Afghan barrel/midlength gas system, but I personally prefer an FSB to flip up sights.  Does anyone know if the Afghan barrel profile would allow for an FSB?  The pics of the barrel by itself make seem pretty hefty all the way toward the muzzle and it makes me wonder if a standard FSB would fit.  I've run some searches and come up empty and I cannot remember seeing anyone with pics of anything other than flip up sights...   TIA, Copperhead
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
It has a standard A2 sized .750" gas block, you could put a picatinny FSB and a flip up on the block and use a midlength handguard (or float tube) or you could get it with a low profile gas block and an extended free float tube (12.0") and use a Troy flip up like I did on my wifes Gemtech suppressed Noveske Afghan.  This uppers has a Larue low profile .750" gas block and a Larue 12.0" handguard that covers the gas block for the Dissy look.  I mounted Troy flip ups front and back on it.

Gas blocks come in .625", .750" and .875" if the barrel were too big on the muzzle end you wouldn't be able to get one on since they slide on from the muzzle end.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Good Question --Does anyone know if the Afghan barrel profile would allow for an FSB?

I was thinking the same thing--how about the Recon barrel ?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good Question --Does anyone know if the Afghan barrel profile would allow for an FSB?

I was thinking the same thing--how about the Recon barrel ?

You can have a standard FSB installed on any barrel with a .750 gas block area.  The down side is it isnt cheap, as its a PITA to install.

Steve,

Why is that? What makes it difficult? (not doubting you, I really don't know why)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#6]
John's barrels are designed to either run with a FF rail (Larue, DD or KAC) using a flip up front (Troy, KAC, etc) or you might try a PRI flip up front. If you want to go with a FSB I would recommend Denny's Operator barrel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Denny is doing this exact setup for me when he gets the Afghan barrel in stock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
... like I did on my wifes Gemtech suppressed Noveske Afghan.....  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/NoveskewithGemtech003.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/67286fd6.jpg

Just curious, did she spec all that stuff out?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, she trusts me to buy her the very best.  She did spec out her own .50 though.  But since this picture I have changed out the Badger high rings for a  Larue .50BMG mount, added a Prince bipod and a Armalite monopod.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks for the replies gents - so it looks like it is possible to put an FSB on the barrel, just more expensive...  I'll have to think some more on it.

Thanks,
Copperhead  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, she trusts me to buy her the very best.  She did spec out her own .50 though.  But since this picture I have changed out the Badger high rings for a  Larue .50BMG mount, added a Prince bipod and a Armalite monopod.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Bonnieshooting50.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/30df4d28.jpg

DAMN!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top