Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 2:44:27 PM EDT
and dropped off my new Stag 2HL upper.  I disassembled it and looked it over, everything seems to coated over real good with oil and ready to go.  Can I just slap this thing on a lower and go to range tomorrow morning or is anything else I need to do before I shoot it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You MUST have a loaded mag inserted!!!

jj
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
ROFL, uh yeah!  That's it huh?  I aint gonna be able to sleep, finally an AR I can shoot with no brass in my face...............
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
i would make sure the bore is clean and dry.

sometimes they put a layer of heavy oil or grease in the barrel to preserve it and shooting it oily can damage it.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#4]
how does shooting it oily (the barrel) hurt it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
from what i understand that when you get into match grade barrels it's best to shoot them clean and dry and the oil or grease they are shipped with can cause some pressure warping problems.  Something about the bullet and the incompressibility of the oil damaging the steel and the barrel then not living up to it’s potential.  
I think some more of it came from old armory rifles that had been put into storage with cosmoline and products like LPS-3 on all metal parts.  

It’s something I have always done.  Scrub and dry patch the bore before taking it to the range the first time.  Then when I come back my Match rifles get cleaned and a wet oil patch is run down the bore.
The next time they go to the range I run a dry patch thru to get out any residue.      
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
If there is too much oil/grease in the barrel, it can cause extremely high pressures. This can cause many bad things to happen to your rifle and potentially yourself.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up my first AR as well and I'm hoping to take it to the range this afternoon. A local guy showed me how to clean it, gave me a list of supplies like CLP and pointed me here for mags, accessories and info. I can hardly wait until the range opens up!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:22:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just picked up my first AR as well and I'm hoping to take it to the range this afternoon. A local guy showed me how to clean it, gave me a list of supplies like CLP and pointed me here for mags, accessories and info. I can hardly wait until the range opens up!

'and so the sickness begins.  That is the first step to becoming an "ARaholic"
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got back from range.  WEEEEEE!!!  Of course the guy next to me wanted to know why my dust cover on the ejection port was upside down as the hinge is on the top and it opens up.  I looked at him and laughed and asked him to take a close look at what else was backwards on my rifle.  He took a long hard look and then says "Holy shit!  It's left handed!"

Yes, the sickness has begun..........
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you say "Dirty Sanchez" visited you?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Did you say "Dirty Sanchez" visited you?  

That's what I thought the title said at first too...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top