Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:31:34 AM EDT
I'm on a tight budget but needed some battery storage on my 6-position collapsible stock, but could not afford to simply buy a new stock that has the stowage compartments already in place.  What I did was buy a CAA stock saddle for 20 bucks:

MY QUESTION:

Do the experts here think the stock saddle is an acceptable permanent solution, or should I consider it as merely a stop-gap until I can afford a dedicated setup like the Vltor or LMT stocks?  

The way I see it is, I don't need a new stock per se, I only need the battery holders and that’s what my $20 pays for.  I don’t see why I need to pay 100 + dollars for an entire new stock.    

I think I already know the answer to my own question but I figured I stir up some conversation on this topic.   And also keep in mind this is not a duty weapon and it's not going into combat tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I went with the stock saddle on my AR and on the superlight I built up for SHEISLEGEND.  I like the cheek-weld, I like the storage, I like the low weight, I like the price.

There's nothing wrong with either of the stocks I put the saddles on so why replace them?
If worst comes to worse and the Apocalypse starts tomorrow maybe the stock saddle will break somehow (it's really not particularly vulnerable or fragile so I don't see that as a major problem) but that will probably be the least of my worries at that point.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The saddle does limit your sling options. I can't see how you can add a QD swivel adaptor with the thing in place. Then again if you don't run such a sling... big deal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there any problem with wobble or it pinching your cheeks, those of you who use this item?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The saddle does limit your sling options. I can't see how you can add a QD swivel adaptor with the thing in place. Then again if you don't run such a sling... big deal.

Very true.

I have a single point sling on my superlight so it doesn't interfere but for my two-point sling it is a bit of a nuisance.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is there any problem with wobble or it pinching your cheeks, those of you who use this item?

Not on mine.  They're great.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#6]
i like mine it works good, but on my 4 pos stock i had to cut the top notch out for my sling mount.
Other than that id say it was $20 well spent.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

no wobble or pinch

I do like the thing and it is built pretty decent but I'm not 100% sold on it yet.  I do know I will eventually replace it with a Clubfoot but for know it serves it's purpose well.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one complaint with the saddle. Under rapid fire, with batteries stowed the plug that hold them  in work their way out. Resulting in a pile  of batteries at my feet.

In all fairness, the temp was in the 20's. And the plastic may have contracted, resulting in a lose fit. When it gets into the 50's or 60's I will test again. But I would not trust the saddle to stow batteries, especially my expensive Titanium's'.

Before some one asks I did place foam in the cells to take up the extra space, and negated any back and forth movement of the stowed batteries.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have one complaint with the saddle. Under rapid fire, with batteries stowed the plug that hold them  in work their way out. Resulting in a pile  of batteries at my feet.

In all fairness, the temp was in the 20's. And the plastic may have contracted, resulting in a lose fit. When it gets into the 50's or 60's I will test again. But I would not trust the saddle to stow batteries, especially my expensive Titanium's'.

Before some one asks I did place foam in the cells to take up the extra space, and negated any back and forth movement of the stowed batteries.

did you have the little tabs on the plugs locked into the slot?

My Caps lock up very solid and so far no problems
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes I had the caps installed with ear threw its slot.

I should also clarify what I meant by rapid fire. I shoot 60 rounds in about 3 minutes. So I was not going wild doing mag dumps. Every shoot was aimed and hit its 8"x10" target, ranging from 50-125 yards.

ETA: I have tried to replicate the malfunction in my basement by shaking the saddle. But could not get it to drop the batteries. I think it has to do with the temp of the plastic. It was cold when it first unexpectedly opened. Unfortunately it does get cold in Michigan. And I can not trust the saddle for anything more than range use.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yes I had the caps installed with ear threw its slot.

I should also clarify what I meant by rapid fire. I shoot 60 rounds in about 3 minutes. So I was not going wild doing mag dumps. Every shoot was aimed and hit its 8"x10" target, ranging from 50-125 yards.

ETA: I have tried to replicate the malfunction in my basement by shaking the saddle. But could not get it to drop the batteries. I think it has to do with the temp of the plastic. It was cold when it first unexpectedly opened. Unfortunately it does get cold in Michigan. And I can not trust the saddle for anything more than range use.

Weird...it gets pretty cold here too and so far mine seems ok.  Are the o-rings on the caps/plugs ok?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#13]
The o rings seam to be fine, they fit snug.

I really don't want to be the guy that ruins this products appeal. I love the idea of an inexpensive battery storage stock. Lord knows I can't afford a Voltor.

But I was able to reproduce the malfunction this morning. I removed the saddle from my stock. Stowed two AAs in each cell place the caps on with ears in their respective slots. I then held the saddle horizontal to the floor and repeatedly slammed it into a rubber ball I held in the opposite hand. After about 50 strikes the cap was halfway out but still holding. At about 150  the right side cap popped out. And the batteries followed.

I regret to say that this is a range only item, and should not be relied upon for SHTF, LEO or combat applications.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a VLTOR for my AR!

its Okay, I like it but nothing to write home about!

Kinda wish I bought the LMT?

OR just the regular Tactical type Colt/Stag

But the storage is nice because I bought a Eotech to go with the LMT

But for my ML2 the storage isnt needed plus I have no surefire attach to my carbeaners
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#15]
For a range gun or a 3-gun competiton AR the side saddle is good-to go.

For a defensive/duty firearm, at best it's a stop-gap untill you can pony up the $95 for a VLTOR.

I have 2 VLTORs,  and purchased a Side Saddle on my son's carbine.  There is simply no comparison on quality and durability.  IMHO beside the plastic's thickness (a bit too thin for any hard use IMHO) is the lack of a forward clamping point.  The two 'tines' just hang there based on the mounting point in the rear.  Catch one of them while moving and that unit will break.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Forest check my post on the Sight/scope Forum about the arms 40 zero @ 25M
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
For a range gun or a 3-gun competiton AR the side saddle is good-to go.

For a defensive/duty firearm, at best it's a stop-gap untill you can pony up the $95 for a VLTOR.

I have 2 VLTORs,  and purchased a Side Saddle on my son's carbine.  There is simply no comparison on quality and durability.  IMHO beside the plastic's thickness (a bit too thin for any hard use IMHO) is the lack of a forward clamping point.  The two 'tines' just hang there based on the mounting point in the rear.  Catch one of them while moving and that unit will break.

Pretty much what I thought based on the pictures.  I've sold my Vltor, but I think I'd rather have another than the saddle.  Or just hold out for the Magpuls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top