Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 7:30:40 AM EDT
I see muzzle brakes that come with them all the time, but I never see the shims offered seperate.  I need a pack for my OPS, Inc brake install.  Any insight?

DL3
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]
why not use a peel washer?  i get mine from brownells, but any AR parts supplier should have them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
peel washer or crush washer will do what you want.

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it would be nice too.  

Part of the problem is that companies that make shims make them and generally sell them by the thousands.  

The small orders needed for firearms shims are a pain in the ass for them.

You could make a pack labeled by the number of degrees they will change the orientation of the FH.  Then you could tighten, look- say (looks like 20 degrees) pull a shim from the pack and be done with the task.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
peel washer or crush washer will do what you want.

Invisiblesoul

Actually, it won't.  If it would have worked that's what would be on there right now.  I need the thin shim sets like what comes with the MSTN/PRI brake...only problem is that no one wants to sell me any seperate.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#5]
You don't want to use a crush washer only with the brake indexing if accuracy is important.  Anytime you impart more than 5 foot pounds of torque at the muzzle brake or flash hider on an AR, it will effect the bullet as it passes the muzzle. For duty weapons, not a problem, but for accurized ARs, this is not a good idea.  Sometimes a crush washer will index it correctly, but usually not.  The shim route is the way to go, especially with OPS Inc brakes.  KAC makes a shim set that usually comes with their SOPMOD flash hider.  If you call KAC, they may just give you a set.

For the install, use the crush washer and a shim or combination of shims so that the brake will be just finger tight at the 11 o'clock position, then wrench it to 12 o'clock (the thin web of the brake at 12).  That will take about 5 foot pounds to do from finger tight.  Loctite it for final install.

This technique is developed and used in building real, deployed SPRs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#6]
peel washer or get with dennysguns and see if he has any pri shims he could spare
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top