Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:56:51 AM EDT
Anyone have an opinion of what accuracy (if any) is lost with using Pac-Nor's or Noveske's polygonal rifling profiles?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you can get more conventional cut-rifled barrels that are marginally more accurate

From what I've heard the difference between a Rock 5R and a Polygonal Pac Nor is like 50thousandths of an inch at 100yds.  So you probably won't notice.
That's pretty insignificant inside 800meters [like 4/10ths of an inch.]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never had a PacNor poly - but I have several Lothar-Walther polys.  3 of them are sub-MOA barrels, and the one that is turned to the skinny M4 profile is still good for about 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards.

There is really no reason a poly can't shoot well.  It is a button rifled barrel, and subject to all of the limitations that effect any other button rifled barrel.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Bigbore,

I'm really interested in your comments.  I'm curious if you have any sources you can refer me to?  I've been reading all day about the differences and the claim that poly barrels last longer is based on the fact that the absence of traditional lands and grooves helps evenly distribute friction between the barrel and bullet, thus allowing slower erosion.  

Sounds reasonable I suppose, although HK claims something like 5X over a conventional barrel.

What about velocity gains with poly barrels? Do you think that is accurate?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top